PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the anticipation!

joe1962
06-08-2004, 08:13 AM
I just checked the UPS site and my new Hollow Drop Top Classic is out for delivery to me today. I'm sure you guys can relate to the excitement of waiting for the brown truck to drive up. Then you open the box, then the case, hoping that the guitar equivalent of Excalliber waits inside. I'm very particular about guitars and a Anderson is one of the few guitars I'd ever buy without trying it first. I know the quality is there, so it just becomes a matter of whether the neck and tone of this particular guitar suits my taste. Although I have pictures of the guitar on my hard drive figured maple tops never look as good in pictures as they do in hand, especially the ones with lots of movement in the grain (like this one is supposed to have). So I wait in anticipation...

sylvanshine
06-08-2004, 10:13 AM
I wait as well for my all black Pro Am T with a Floyd. You are not alone my brother!

tmihm
06-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Congrats...and good luck to both of you guys. I'm the exact opposite - I just left my Rosewood Harrison tribute at FedEx to go back 'home' for some mods...so I'll be Andy-less for three weeks or so.

Hope your guitars are everything that you've come to expect with a T/A.:)

joe1962
06-08-2004, 11:31 AM
I'm sure the one I have coming will be a great guitar. I've actually never seen a "bad" Anderson, but with so many options available there are some configurations that don't suit me personally.

nickdahl
06-08-2004, 01:36 PM
I'm in the same boat. My Crowdster comes tomorrow. The Classic doesn't arrive until Friday, and we're leaving for vacation that day. So, it'll remain boxed up at my office until I get back.

I'm dyin.'

Nick

joe1962
06-08-2004, 03:55 PM
UPS just dropped off my guitar. I'll report back and post a pic later but so far I'm impressed with what I got. If you've checked the guitars for sale page you know I've had my Hollow Drop Top for sale because the 1 5/8 neck was too slim for me. That guitar is now sold (pending payment) and the one I got today is it's replacement. I went with a Hollow Drop Top Classic this time (the pickguard allows for more pickup options in the future) and a solid maple neck (I've always tended to like maple better on Strats). This one has a 1 11/16 +.030 neck, and while it's about the same up by the body (where the smaller neck didn't really bother me) it's noticably bigger down at the nut, which is what I wanted. The top on this one isn't as flamed out as the one I'm selling, but it has a lot of character and I really like the Tiger's Eye Burst color in person. Hopefully this one will be a keeper. As I AM a guitar player, only time will tell ;)

nickdahl
06-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Nice work, Joe. I saw your guitar for sale and almost nibbled on it. Glad you found one that will work better for you and also liked the description of the neck you provided. I thought about a +0.030 neck on a Hollow T for a while, and while I still think it makes a lot of sense, I think I'll be glad with the 1-11/16" '62 Roundback neck on the Classic I just bought. If not, I'll follow your lead and swap'em out for another Anderson!

Nick

joe1962
06-08-2004, 06:08 PM
My new best friend :)

nickdahl
06-08-2004, 08:17 PM
That is a nice looking guitar!

Nick

andersonguy
06-08-2004, 11:01 PM
She's a beauty! Love that finish. Congratulations!:)

AG

pcbb
06-09-2004, 01:14 AM
sweet :D

Scott Peterson
06-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Congrats - very cool!

nickdahl
06-09-2004, 10:57 AM
At 11:08 a.m. EDT this morning, my Anderson Crowdster arrived and reported for duty. It is very sweet. The top is more flamed than I would have gathered from the photos, and it plays well with my other Andersons. Here's a group hug:
http://home.twcny.rr.com/drnick/images/Anderson%20Front.jpg

Nick

joe1962
06-09-2004, 11:05 AM
That's a sweet looking collection you have there Nick!

By the way, I'm asuming from your user name that your last name is Dahl? That's my wife's maiden name.

joe1962
06-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Good News / Bad News

Bad News: While the guitar I got is an incredible guitar, I need a beefier neck than the +.030. That really stinks because this has to be one of the best sounding, most resonant guitars I've ever played in my life! You've seen the picture of it, and it's a real looker too. I hate to have to send it back but for what these things cost I figure I need to be completely satisfied. Any of you looking for a new Hollow Drop Top Classic with a +.030 neck, you better grab this one up. I'm sending it out tomorrow so it should be back at the store on Monday. Thank goodness for 24 hour approvals on internet guitar sales! :)

Good News: I've got the exact same spec guitar but with a 1 11/16 62 Roundback neck and gold parts on order now. Let the waiting begin!

andersonguy
06-10-2004, 12:48 AM
:( Bummer! You have other guitars with thick necks? I ended working my way up to a 62 roundback and love it, even with my small hands. Now I have the "Pete 62 Roundback which is a tiny bit smaller. I have found my hands adjust to the neck size almost no matter the size however I prefer the 62's.
Sorry it didnt work out for you, good luck with your new baby.

AG

joe1962
06-10-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by andersonguy
:( Bummer! You have other guitars with thick necks? I ended working my way up to a 62 roundback and love it, even with my small hands. Now I have the "Pete 62 Roundback which is a tiny bit smaller. I have found my hands adjust to the neck size almost no matter the size however I prefer the 62's.
Sorry it didnt work out for you, good luck with your new baby.

AG

Yes, all of my other guitars have fat necks. My Cobra S has the 62 Roundback, and I also have PRS wide/fat, Gibson Historics, and Grosh guitars with med/lg necks. I've got big hands and while I can play a slimmer neck it just isn't as comfortable, especially when bending.

nickdahl
06-10-2004, 11:59 AM
So, you're back to anticipating? When will it end!!!;)

Nick

tmihm
06-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Aw, man.......spectacluar....congrats!!!!!

Stan Malinowski
06-16-2004, 11:48 AM
I understand your dilema Joe. I like big necks even though my hands are on the small side. The perfect neck for me is a 1 11/16 62 RB, I've sold off a few Andersons with other neck carves.

Terry
06-21-2004, 10:13 AM
Just a few more weeks for me............

Terry:D