PDA

View Full Version : CD Guilty Pleasure?

pluto
06-07-2004, 05:41 PM
Although I don't really care to read Guitar World magazine (although, it seems to be getting a little bit better), I enjoy reading the guilty pleasures segment where metal heads like Dave Mustaine admit to liking bands like Crowded House. Question of the day? What is your CD guilty pleasure? For me, it's Teenage Fanclub-one of the coolest bands from the late 80's. They're still around, still playing the same chord progressions, and still writing great pop songs in the Gram Parsons, Beatles, Big Star, and Byrds mode.

michaelomiya
06-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by pluto
For me, it's Teenage Fanclub-one of the coolest bands from the late 80's.

:eek: :confused:
I dig the Tijuana Brass (love Herb's playing).

pluto
06-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
:eek: :confused:
I dig the Tijuana Brass (love Herb's playing).

What, you haven't heard or don't like Teenage Fanclub?? C'mon Mike!! :D Just joking. They're a goofy three chord progression band that rips off Big Star and the Byrds, but I still think they're cool. Too much metal and too many guitar solos can be a little tiring on an old man like me, that's why I gotta listen to bands like the Beatles, Ocean Colour Scene, Shazam, Matthew Sweet and Cloud Eleven every now and then.

michaelomiya
06-07-2004, 10:24 PM
What, you haven't heard or don't like Teenage Fanclub?? C'mon Mike!! :D Just joking. They're a goofy three chord progression band that rips off Big Star and the Byrds, but I still think they're cool. Too much metal and too many guitar solos can be a little tiring on an old man like me, that's why I gotta listen to bands like the Beatles, Ocean Colour Scene, Shazam, Matthew Sweet and Cloud Eleven every now and then.

mark, not a day goes by where I'm not "singing", "From Me to You", "If I Needed Someone", "Tell Me What You See" or "I'll Follow the Sun" to get the kids to go to sleep. (with my voice, it's a miracle George and John aren't haunting me for mutilating their songs!)

Shazam? as in Shake 500 from 1995? Teenage Fanclub? sorry brah, I'm at a total loss.:D

jjhboots
06-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Teenage Fanclub is a great band - just the name brings back lots of memories of the late 80's. You're right - they are still making good music.

pluto
06-08-2004, 12:02 PM
mark, not a day goes by where I'm not "singing", "From Me to You", "If I Needed Someone", "Tell Me What You See" or "I'll Follow the Sun" to get the kids to go to sleep. (with my voice, it's a miracle George and John aren't haunting me for mutilating their songs!)

Shazam? as in Shake 500 from 1995? Teenage Fanclub? sorry brah, I'm at a total loss.:D

I think it's Shazam, like that Saturday morning TV show for kids (in the 70's). Getting your kids to sleep through the Beatles? Hmmm. My kid and I are still singing the "Shee-Shee, doo-doo, shee-shee, doo-doo, in the toilet, in the toilet" (using the frere Jacques melody) song that my wife made up. Maybe next year, I'll get to the Beatles.

pluto
06-08-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by jjhboots
Teenage Fanclub is a great band - just the name brings back lots of memories of the late 80's. You're right - they are still making good music.

I totally agree-their name is just funny and typically satirical. They're great writers even though they sometimes sound too much like a Big Star and Byrds tribute band these days. I just bought the Not Lame tribute TFC CD-pretty good, but the bands stuck to basically the same arrangements as the originals, so everything sounds exactly like the Fannies. There is also another tribute Cd floating around with guys like Duglas Stewart (BMX Bandits), Jon Auer (posies), and Beezewax doing TFC covers. I haven't found that CD yet.

michaelomiya
06-08-2004, 01:12 PM
My kid and I are still singing the "Shee-Shee, doo-doo, shee-shee, doo-doo, in the toilet, in the toilet" (using the frere Jacques melody) song that my wife made up. Maybe next year, I'll get to the Beatles.

:D :D :D toooo funny!

y'know, though, if it works, I'll adopt that strategy!

pluto
06-08-2004, 02:25 PM
:D :D :D toooo funny!

y'know, though, if it works, I'll adopt that strategy!

Yeah, you gotta try that song. Classic lyrics! BTW-my Cameronized Marshall comes in tomorrow. I might haul my little Bogner 1x12 to the office so I can play it when it comes (I'm having it sent to my office). On second thought, ahh, I better not.

michaelomiya
06-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Yeah, you gotta try that song. Classic lyrics! BTW-my Cameronized Marshall comes in tomorrow. I might haul my little Bogner 1x12 to the office so I can play it when it comes (I'm having it sent to my office). On second thought, ahh, I better not.

I vote for an early AM "blow out the windows session. Give me a shout on the cell when it arrives.

BrownDog
06-08-2004, 08:21 PM
...the live show of Cher is something I think is incredible - her voice, the music, the specticle - all are great. Cher live is my guilty pleasure.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike.

Gary F.
06-09-2004, 11:39 AM
70's So. Cal. rock--most anything with the Section (Waddy Wachtel, Russ Kunkel, Leland Sklar, etc) including Ronstadt, James Taylor, Jackson B. Much of that stuff holds up really well, except when the dated keyboards come in...

pluto
06-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by BrownDog
...the live show of Cher is something I think is incredible - her voice, the music, the specticle - all are great. Cher live is my guilty pleasure.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike.

Cher is cool!! She has an amazing voice and that old music video of her on the Missouri battleship is simply a classic!

pluto
06-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Gary F.
70's So. Cal. rock--most anything with the Section (Waddy Wachtel, Russ Kunkel, Leland Sklar, etc) including Ronstadt, James Taylor, Jackson B. Much of that stuff holds up really well, except when the dated keyboards come in...

Too true-IMO, 70's rock, FM radio AOR type music, in general, holds up pretty well. It doesn't sound overly dated unlike a lot of stuff from the 60's and 80's.

michaelomiya
06-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Gary F.
70's So. Cal. rock-except when the dated keyboards come in...
yeah, Carlton's Room 335 for example, it's got that Mike Post, 70's TV show-type intro.

Gary F.
06-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Yep, Carlton's stuff from back then is a perfect example. Killer stuff that just sounds a bit cheesy now.

pluto
06-09-2004, 03:03 PM
yeah, Carlton's Room 335 for example, it's got that Mike Post, 70's TV show-type intro.

Hey, what's wrong with the 70's tv show intros??:D Mary Tyler Moore, Jeffersons, Sanford and Son-classic theme songs!! Hey, BTW-the Cameron has JUST arrived. I can't believe the condition of the amp. Tim, the guy who sold it to me, bought it for 600 bucks before sending it off to Mark. I haven't seen used SLPs in almost mint condition for that cheap, but then again, I haven't really looked either. Just gotta find a speaker cab and cable!! Hey, I think I'm feeling a little sick;)

michaelomiya
06-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Hey, what's wrong with the 70's tv show intros??:D Mary Tyler Moore, Jeffersons, Sanford and Son-classic theme songs!! Hey, BTW-the Cameron has JUST arrived. I can't believe the condition of the amp. Tim, the guy who sold it to me, bought it for 600 bucks before sending it off to Mark. I haven't seen used SLPs in almost mint condition for that cheap, but then again, I haven't really looked either. Just gotta find a speaker cab and cable!! Hey, I think I'm feeling a little sick;)

Nothing wrong w/ 70's TV show intros, Barney Miller is some great modern jazz - that bass line is killer. (and you forgot Good Times - although no cheezy keyboards)

BUT.....

2. "Chico and the Man" was pure cheese - so bad I can't remember the tune.
3. "Chips" is really the show and the tune that epitomized 70's keyboard cheese.
4. "Dallas" has gotta be a close second....

regarding that Cameron head, please confirm it's a non-MV, 100W Super Lead reissue?

I know it defys tone snob arrogance, but the 5150 straight cab can be had for little $$$ (compared to your Bogner darkness). But it sounds really good w/ Marshalls. Also the Mojotone British Vintage speakers are really toneful as well. Let me know.

pluto
06-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Nothing wrong w/ 70's TV show intros, Barney Miller is some great modern jazz - that bass line is killer. (and you forgot Good Times - although no cheezy keyboards)

BUT.....

2. "Chico and the Man" was pure cheese - so bad I can't remember the tune.
3. "Chips" is really the show and the tune that epitomized 70's keyboard cheese.
4. "Dallas" has gotta be a close second....

regarding that Cameron head, please confirm it's a non-MV, 100W Super Lead reissue?

I know it defys tone snob arrogance, but the 5150 straight cab can be had for little $$$ (compared to your Bogner darkness). But it sounds really good w/ Marshalls. Also the Mojotone British Vintage speakers are really toneful as well. Let me know.

I don't remember Chico and the man or Chips (the theme song). But Dallas was bad as was Knots Landing. Good Times had a great theme song. My favorite is definitely Sanford and Son (gotta like Michael Firkins version!) and the sunny pop of MTM show. As for the Cameron-it's the reissue SLP. The front looks stock-no mods to be seen. He has a push pull knob on the first volume which I take is the gain switch, with boost function. On the back, there is a bass boost knob which I'm assuming is always engaged, a gain boost knob which I think controls the amount of gain and is on only when the push pull is activated(?), and two bright switches which I have no idea what they do. I just left a message on Cameron's phone to find out what those bright switches do. I'll figure it out. I wish there was a fx loop, but these days I've been too lazy to use any fx anyway. I'll give you a call tomorrow and let you know what it sounds like.

pluto
06-09-2004, 06:45 PM

Hey Mike, I called my wife to pick me up for lunch and took the amp home. I plugged it in for 15 minutes through my little Bogner cube cab to listen to it. Can't say too much about it yet since I was mainly just twisting knobs to make sure everything was working. I was wrong about the knobs-the push pull for the boost is on the master. I didn't work the bright switches-I've got no idea why it's really needed since the presence control is really sensitive. First input is classic Marshall with a lot of gain on tap with the push/pull. The second input is really compressed-not as compressed as a Bogner though. Adding the boost on the second input is like adding feedback from hell!!! Master volume is pretty good-not as good as my Uberschall, but then again I haven't played around with the bass boost which I think will add to bedroom volumes. Overall tone is super crunchy with a lot of hi mids. I think my Engl Savage is pretty close to this tone although it seems to have more mid mids and low end but doesn't quite have that crunchiness that the Marshall has. I'm gonna play it more tonight when I get home and I'll give you a call tomorrow as to what I think.

michaelomiya
06-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Hey Mike, I called my wife to pick me up for lunch and took the amp home. I plugged it in for 15 minutes through my little Bogner cube cab to listen to it. Can't say too much about it yet since I was mainly just twisting knobs to make sure everything was working. I was wrong about the knobs-the push pull for the boost is on the master. I didn't work the bright switches-I've got no idea why it's really needed since the presence control is really sensitive. First input is classic Marshall with a lot of gain on tap with the push/pull. The second input is really compressed-not as compressed as a Bogner though. Adding the boost on the second input is like adding feedback from hell!!! Master volume is pretty good-not as good as my Uberschall, but then again I haven't played around with the bass boost which I think will add to bedroom volumes. Overall tone is super crunchy with a lot of hi mids. I think my Engl Savage is pretty close to this tone although it seems to have more mid mids and low end but doesn't quite have that crunchiness that the Marshall has. I'm gonna play it more tonight when I get home and I'll give you a call tomorrow as to what I think.

sounds good to me - try jumping the inputs (lower left to upper right or low input on channel 1 into high input on channel 2) and mix volume to taste and as necessary. you should experience how much "balls and chunk" a non-MV Marshall has on tap! I am curious as to what Cameron's done to improve the tone on the non-MV, since the clean preamps on these heads really allow that Class A O/D tone to come through when you crank 'em. tell me he didn't turn this 100W beast into a bedroom amp!;)

pluto
06-10-2004, 12:20 PM
Mike, I just tried calling you. Call me at the office when you get the chance or call the cell a couple of hours from now-I'm recharging the cell phone. Anyway, to make a long story short, this amp is killer. I put two and a half hours on it last night when I got home. I was wrong about the master volume-it's awesome and sounds amazingly natural wherever the master volume is at. Input 1 with boost half up and gain up sounds like a plexi with a lot of hair. Input 2 with gain half way sounds the same, but with more compression. I'm not at all a Van Halen fan, so I couldn't tell you if sounds like early VH or not on input 1. I will be taking the amp to Hot Licks Guitars in Aiea this weekend or next weekend though because the manager there is a huge VH fan and wants to hear it and compare it to the Splawn modded Marshalls that he owns. What I like about this amp is that even though it's modded, it sounds like a Marshall. It has the crispness and ballsiness of a Marshall, but it sounds like it just has more hair surrounding each note. I also spoke to Mark C. last night-he's a really cool guy who just likes to talk about amps, music, tone, etc. I'm going to listen to the Norum CD "another destination" and the latest Dio. He said most of the amps used on that Norum CD and most of the solos on the Dio CD was his high gain mod. If I like that tone, I'll get rid of my Engl, buy a used Marshall and send it up to him to get that mod. As for jumping channels-not sure if I can do that-I thought the guy who sold me the amp told me the bottom inputs on 1 and 2 were disengaged. I'm not sure though.

pluto
06-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Avril Lavigne?? :( Nickelback??? :( Ugghhhh. :D Just joking-just giving you a little gas. You must like those Canadian bands!!

michaelomiya
06-11-2004, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by tombo
Also, .....jeez......I'm embarrassed about this, but.....I REALLY DIG this one song by Avril Lavigne called "Losing Grip." Although the CD is meant for 12 year old girls, there's some good songs on there.

Tom, from what I know of Avril, she's a HELLUVA talent. It goes without saying she can sing like a bird. BUT, the pop punk thing is only what she's doing now. I remember seeing a show called Driven on VH1, and she started singing standards, show tunes and pop songs. It's her complete distain for the Britany and Christina's of the world that drove her to pop punk. And, I believe she writes as well - another Madonna IMHO. Avril Lavigne's awesome!

michaelomiya
06-11-2004, 12:27 AM
Avril Lavigne?? :( Nickelback??? :( Ugghhhh. :D Just joking-just giving you a little gas. You must like those Canadian bands!!

AND don't forget Rush, Triumph, BTO, Killer Dwarves, Helix, April Wine, some dude named Neil Young, Bob and Doug -ayyyyy? take off you 'hoser!

sonsop
06-11-2004, 03:38 PM
John Denver.

I know, I know - I'm a wuss.

Marty S Horne
06-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Ten years ago I opened a concert for the Guess Who (speaking of all things Canada), and they were excellent but the best from Canada for me is still Lenny Breau.

pluto
06-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Marty S Horne
Ten years ago I opened a concert for the Guess Who (speaking of all things Canada), and they were excellent but the best from Canada for me is still Lenny Breau.

My favorite is Alanis Morrisette. Haha, just joking. April Wine is at the top ("I like to rock!") along with Sloan and Rush.

Casper
06-25-2004, 08:19 AM
Hey, waht ever happened to Alex Lifeson and that beating up the cop thing he was involved in? Is he going up the river or what?