PDA

View Full Version : Taylor guitars and fret material

loonerman
10-22-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm on vacation in San Diego and went to Taylor today enjoyed the factory tour. We were discussing fret material and I asked why they don't use stainless. I was kind of surprised buy the answer. The tour guide responded "stainless is way too hard, if you played two hours a day you'd break the G-string every day and the strings would wear out way too fast." Is there such a difference between acoustic and electric strings that this could be true? Seems kind of odd to me but I am definitely no expert. I love SS on my Andersons and often wonder why acoustic builders don't offer them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Big Harry
10-22-2010, 01:22 AM
SS would break G string ???:confused:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

tom
10-22-2010, 09:21 AM
ridiculous. i've got stainless on acoustics and the guy i play with has stainless on his taylor and crowdster. all our crowdsters have stainless and acoustic strings.
stainless is harder to work with, especially if you have binding so i think the big guys just don't want to deal with it.

chriswhite
10-22-2010, 11:10 AM
if I were on that tour I would rather the guy tell me that then make something up. I bet he just wasn't sure why they didnt.

tom
10-22-2010, 01:48 PM
yeah, they need to have an official company reason.

loonerman
10-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks, I thought it sounded kind of dumb but thought it would be impolite to argue the point with the tour guide. I have a Taylor that I like but it would be so much better with stainless frets. Maybe someday they will come to their scences.

Pietro
10-23-2010, 08:23 AM
I never break strings on my Crowdster. I did the first year, but Elixir had a bad batch of G strings (anybody remember that?). Since then... I only break a string if its my fault, and honestly (knock on wood) it's been probably over a year or maybe even two...

You watch, I'll break one tonight at church now...

ToneLounge
10-23-2010, 05:06 PM
I can give you an official reason...:)

It's not because we don't like stainless, in fact I love the way it feels and sounds, and it is certainly not the reason the tour guide "made up".

It's because of our manufacturing process - after we use an arbor press to press in the frets the neck goes back on the fadal to have the fb binding edge radiused, and the leading/trailing edges of the frets dressed. Stainless is simply too hard for this production technique.

Stainless is as Tom said, too hard for us to work with on a production basis - especially when one factors in the variety of binding material we use.

Good thing there are people like Bruce Nelson and Pat DiBurro in the world that can re-fret with stainless!

Love and overdrive,

Brian
(VP Taylor Guitars)

loonerman
10-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Brian, thanks for setting the record straight. I really like my Taylor but just think it would be that much better with stainless frets. I'm originally from Santee/El Cajon and think its great that Taylor Guitars has done so well and wish you all the best in the future. When mine needs to be refretted it will be with stainless.:D

Thanks again,
Jason

Pietro
10-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the straight story, man. Taylors are just peachey... honest...

bruce
10-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I can give you an official reason...:)

It's not because we don't like stainless, in fact I love the way it feels and sounds, and it is certainly not the reason the tour guide "made up".

It's because of our manufacturing process - after we use an arbor press to press in the frets the neck goes back on the fadal to have the fb binding edge radiused, and the leading/trailing edges of the frets dressed. Stainless is simply too hard for this production technique.

Stainless is as Tom said, too hard for us to work with on a production basis - especially when one factors in the variety of binding material we use.

Good thing there are people like Bruce Nelson and Pat DiBurro in the world that can re-fret with stainless!

Love and overdrive,

Brian
(VP Taylor Guitars)

Thank you Mr. Lounge!

Big Harry
10-25-2010, 01:41 AM
Hi Tone Longue - that was straight and honest !
Probably the best answer one can find on Internet regarding endless - Nickel vs SS frets discussion .
Thanks !
Zoran

bud
10-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Probably the best answer one can find on Internet regarding endless - Nickel vs SS frets discussion .
Zoran

Everyone knows nickel sounds bad and doesn't stay in tune as well as SS :D

tom
10-28-2010, 05:10 PM
such a stirer upper!

FFOGG
11-02-2010, 04:23 AM
Tonelounge : Thanks for the answer and alot of here are SS lovers and Taylor owners ...and while I live in the heart of Martin Country and alot of their execs live in my neighborhood ..I have to say that Taylor's service is second to none ..other than TAG :) :)