PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Pickups

njjessee
06-06-2004, 06:15 AM
Tom... could you walk me through the steps you go through when setting pickup heights? For example, on a S-S-H setup, are you comparing the neck and middle with the split or humbucking settings with the bridge split or humbucking?

I like the bridge humbucker set lower in the body then the 1/16th distance listed on the website. Given that, any special instructions?

Thanks, Noah

tom
06-06-2004, 03:41 PM
it depends on what you are looking for the set to do. i always start with the bridge pickup. i seldom use the neck pickup for a solo tone, i am careful to not get it too high. i also listen for too much bass from the neck and middle. i almost always have the bass side of the pickups lower than the treble.

njjessee
06-07-2004, 05:43 AM
Thanks Tom. With respect to the trem pivot screws... how far down should they be for a floating trem. To the point where the bevel on the screw begins with the top of the trem plate?

Noah

tom
06-07-2004, 11:54 AM
you shouldn't need to adjust those screws if you want to float the bridge. the knife edge of the bridge wants to sit in the middle of the v area of the screw. to float the bridge, all you have to do is loosen the two claw screws in the back of the guitar. go a little at a time, maybe half a turn, then tune your guitar. keep going till you reach the point you like.

dannopelli
06-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Won't you need to intonate after you float the bridge?

tom
06-08-2004, 09:54 AM
technically yes. it depends how far you go. if you have it just off the surface it will probably be fine. if you set it to pull backa whole step, you will have to do intonation and lower the saddles.

bruce
06-12-2004, 01:58 AM
....Or lower the saddles and then do the intonation.... in that order.

tom
06-12-2004, 02:17 AM
ok mr. perfectly clear.

njjessee
06-12-2004, 08:44 AM
Tom, sometime ago, I wanted to tighten the trem arm movement. I couldn't find the set screw readily, so I removed the trem block totally from the guitar. I found the set screw and realized that all I needed to do was rock the trem forward (some people learn the hard way). And of course, there was a post about this not too long ago.

Well, I'm changing string guage and I'm doing a total set up. In looking at the pivot screws, I'm thinking there is a point where the screws should be. So I want to make sure I have it right.

It looks like the knife edge of the trem holes should fit at the narrowest point of the bevel on the screws with the trem flush against the body of the guitar. Correct?

Noah

tom
06-12-2004, 01:28 PM
yes, you are correct.

bruce
06-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Noah,

If you need more assistance you can call us at the shop Tuesday through Friday. I can help if you still need help with the many steps since you may need to re-tension (add or subtract) the springs depending on the string gauge you change to.....Or you can post it here, but it may take longer.

-Mr. perfectly clear

njjessee
06-13-2004, 06:50 AM
Guys.... this is Utopia! Great playing and sounding guitars, wonderful craftmanship, and fantastic customer service!

Life is good!

Bruce, I'll give you a call just to make sure I've got the steps covered.

Noah

neppy
06-18-2004, 08:52 PM
tom - is there a standard pickup height that is set at the factory? i have a s-s-h configuration in my hollow drop top classic but it is not the original set up the guitar shipped with. the output seems a bit on the low side.

thanks,
omar

Stan Malinowski
06-19-2004, 05:45 AM
Omar,

Go to the Technical section of the Anderson Website:

Anderson Technical Section (http://www.andersonguitars.com/questions.html)

There is a link to setting pickup height (Pickup Adjustment) per the factory specifications there.

njjessee
06-19-2004, 07:41 AM
Omar,

Give Roy a call. That's what I did. He'll provide a few more pointers beyond what the website provides.

It was really good information.

Noah