PDA

View Full Version : Neck-PUP

JWALKER
08-16-2010, 06:11 PM
I am sometimes guilty of over thinking stuff, so pardon me for this. For a Swamp Ash top and bottom Short T Claasic would a Maple fret board with a maple neck be a better choice than say Rosewood or any other possibility. I have often heard that Rosewood holds up longer than Maple. I just read that Maple is not a good choice for a Swamp Sah body guitar, so input please.
Going with a M1 PUP in the neck, SF 1 in the middle, and TF3 in the bridge sounds great, but would the HF1 or the HF1- not sound as good?, or would the HF PUPS not mate as well with the other PUPS? I do want one big happy family, sound wise, if this is the case. I just have never used a mini-humbucker before.

dannopelli
08-16-2010, 06:33 PM
The rosewood fretboard will soften the attack of an all ash guitar. Maple and Ash might be just a bit too bright. I'd go with the rosewood fretboard, and leave the PUPS as M1 SF1 and TF3. That is going to be one very versatile guitar.

chriswhite
08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
I think having that M1 is a good choice and Danno's right, the maple neck will make it brighter for sure. I am a warmer tone kinda guy and I just ordered my first maple neck (shorty like you) but with an Alder body and Ms (M1 and TM3) so it wont be so harsh, for me anyway.

JWALKER
08-16-2010, 10:05 PM
So, Rosewood is the best choice for a fretboard with an all Ash body? How about Pao Ferro fretboard with an all Ash body? I started this process thinking I wanted an an all Ash Tele, but is this the best choice of body woods? I do not have any experience on an Ash guitar. I currently have an Alder Tele, a Mahogany Epi LP, and a Alder Strat. both the Tele and the Strat have Rosewood fingerboards, with the Epi having an Ebony board.

dannopelli
08-17-2010, 08:16 AM
So, Rosewood is the best choice for a fretboard with an all Ash body? How about Pao Ferro fretboard with an all Ash body? I started this process thinking I wanted an an all Ash Tele, but is this the best choice of body woods? I do not have any experience on an Ash guitar. I currently have an Alder Tele, a Mahogany Epi LP, and a Alder Strat. both the Tele and the Strat have Rosewood fingerboards, with the Epi having an Ebony board.

You need to call Roy at TAG and tell him what you are trying to accomplish. There is really is no magic combination. You can make a versatile guitar, but there really is no "better" when talking tonewoods.

I know I am preaching to the choir, so I apologize in advance, but most of the tone comes from your fingers anyway. I can tell you that a week ago I did a thing with a friend. He used an EL34 Bogner Shiva, no OD's, just chorus and delay. I use two EL 84 Dr Z's and five different OD/Dist, plus chorus and delay. We both played relatively similar Anderson DTC's that night. Funny thing is, our tone, especially the clean tone, was often VERY similar when we played our own gear. When we switched and tried the other's, not even close. And other than the guitars, neither of us really could get completely into playing through the other's gear using the settings as they were. Yet when we played the other's guitars through our own amp rigs, we sounded like ourselves again. Weird, I know, but true. The point is, over time you tend to surround yourself with gear that complements how you play, from both a physical and stylistic standpoint.

Rosewood will soften the attack somewhat on an ash guitar, but "better" is subjective. I have three ash guitars with maple necks, and they are very useful. But in relation to your earlier post, where you indicated the music you like to play, yes it seems like a RW fretboard will work for that. But only you know how you play, and Roy will coax out of you what you are trying to accomplish. Call him. Worked for me when I spec'd some guitars.