PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Hunter!

scottiK
06-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Kind of unrelated in that this guy plays a hybrid bass/guitar instrument but I just had to share this. I had the privilege to see Charlie Hunter live at a small club in Indy this past weekend. OH MY!!!

If you have never seen or heard of him I highly recommend you check him out. He plays an 8 string guitar...3 bass stings and 5 guitar...split to 2 amps. He covers both parts and does it REAL well! You would never know just listening that there is not a guy on each instrument. Here is a link (http://www.charliehunter.com) to his web site with more detail on what he does and some audio samples.

It's been a while since I witnessed a musical performance that truly blew my mind and this guy did it! I’m still in shock...

scott

velcro-fly
06-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Charlie Hunter Rules. Period.:D

Steve E

nickdahl
06-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I have a Charlie Hunter CD. He is great!

Nick

scottiK
06-03-2004, 08:20 AM
I heard his music about 3 or 4 years ago...but this past weekend was the first time I witnessed what he does live. It was a small jazz club and we ended up about 5 feet from him...so it felt like he was in my living room.

I think what struck me the most was not just his technique, but his sense of rhythm and grove between the drums and the 2 parts he was playing. He had a reed player with him that played really well...but during his solo breaks what Charlie would be doing with the drummer comping would just draw all of the attention to him. I could kind of sense that while the reed player was soloing he would realize people weren't really paying much attention to what he was doing. There were moments during those sections that the grove would be SO thick that you didn’t care about the solo!

I would love to hear him just let loose on a guitar….I think a Hollow Cobra would be a good choice:p

velcro-fly
06-03-2004, 09:26 AM
A few years ago he played here in Portland like once a month for 5 months...saw him every time...this was right after "bing bing bing" came out....

His Nirvana cover with the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" rythm and "Come As You Are" bass line is just insane.....

When T.A. makes a Novak fan fret guitar, Hunter will jump ship:D

Steve E