PDA

View Full Version : Best Judas Priest album

pluto
06-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Due to the surprising popularity of the Maiden thread (I didn't know there were that many Maiden fans), I've decided to start a new one related to metal and the 80's (and late 70's)-what's your favorite Priest album? My vote goes to Stained Class, circa 1978. It may not have the notoriety as some of their latter albums, but it has a certain "dark" quality to it that makes it rock. Heroes end, Better by You, Exciter-all classic songs without the pop sheen of some of their more popular songs.

michaelomiya
06-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by pluto
Due to the surprising popularity of the Maiden thread (I didn't know there were that many Maiden fans), I've decided to start a new one related to metal and the 80's (and late 70's)-what's your favorite Priest album? My vote goes to Stained Class, circa 1978. It may not have the notoriety as some of their latter albums, but it has a certain "dark" quality to it that makes it rock. Heroes end, Better by You, Exciter-all classic songs without the pop sheen of some of their more popular songs.

1981 - Screaming for Vengeance - Marshall tone at it's best!

pluto
06-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Yeah, that's a pretty good one. The intro and Electric Eye jump start that album very well. What I don't like about it is that there are some fillers in that album. BTW-I forgot to tell you that I may have just bought a Cameronized Marshall (just trying to iron out some details) with the Jose mod. All this talk about Marshalls has got me going a bit!

andersonguy
06-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Dont recall the name of it but I had a great JP live album, Perhaps a double live, I dont remember. I remember learning the ripper from it as well as few others that my band used to cover. Cool stuff.;)

AG

Joel
06-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Sad Wings of Destiny is my favorite.

pluto
06-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Joel
Sad Wings of Destiny is my favorite.

That's a great one, probably number 4 on my list. Awesome album-I used to own the LP, but sadly don't have it on CD.

andersonguy
06-01-2004, 10:24 PM
I just remembered the song we used to play, it was called Victom of changes and it was one of my absolute favorite priest songs. A blast to play too.:D

I was way into UFO at the same time, Michael Shenker was awesome!! I wonder what happened to him, is he still around?

Aaannnnndd, lest we forget one of the best guitar army bands of all time?

Thin Lizzy!!!!!

;)

michaelomiya
06-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by tombo
Great minds think alike Michael!:D

Another vote for "Screaming For Vengeance."

I remember cruising around in my dad's '79 Honda Accord hatchback, cheapo Pioneer car stereo, cheapo Audiovox 15 watt "Sound Blaster" power amp, and homemade speakers in the rear. My friend Ted Martin (webmaster @ The Hamer Fan Club) would kick in the Sound Blaster, everytime Screaming For Vengeace came on and Electric Eye. Think "Wayne's World" and you pretty much get the idea. :p

I'm not worthy!!!

Absolutely.

Y'know, it's the cheapo cars (especially ones that 4 guys can physically pick-up and move) and the time in your life where the only responsibility is getting up early for class, that makes pre-1984 albums like "Screaming for Vengeance", "Back in Black", "Piece of Mind", "Moving Pictures", "Fair Warning", "Diary of a Madman", "Escape " (sorry mark!), "Ghost in the Machine", "Blackout", "Asia", "No Parole for Rock n Roll"/"Steeler", "Lick it Up", such perennial classic, pre-MTV hairband, metal!! And oh, when you throw in the fact the that TONE- OMG, the TONEs on those records - scarred me for life!!

michaelomiya
06-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Oh, and Mark, Tom and Richard, all of you guys qualify as TRUE dinosaurs (me, of course, included in such esteemed company!)

Please, take this quiz and post your results!

dinosaur rock guitar players!!! (http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/RUAdino.shtml)

michaelomiya
06-01-2004, 10:42 PM
dang...I just checked and the quiz, "Are YOU a dinosaur" is no longer available. Anyway, check out the site, everyone of you guys will relate in someway to what's offered and discussed. :D

michaelomiya
06-01-2004, 11:47 PM
just came back from walking the dog, and forgot to add, "High n Dry" and "Holy Diver" to the list!:cool:

pcbb
06-02-2004, 04:45 AM
British Steel :)

pluto
06-02-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by andersonguy

I was way into UFO at the same time, Michael Shenker was awesome!! I wonder what happened to him, is he still around?

Aaannnnndd, lest we forget one of the best guitar army bands of all time?

Thin Lizzy!!!!!

;)

Michael is still around: here's his website-www.michaelschenkerhimself.com -I think that's the URL. He has run into personal and financial problems over the last couple of years which is fitting since he's a perpetual screw-up! He quit UFO (again and again!) and it looks like for good since he gave up his 50% share of the UFO name to Phil Mogg who went out and hired Vinnie Moore to take his place. He just completed a European tour, released a covers album on Shrapnel, and has another Thank You album that you can buy on his website. There's a website created by Ritchie Araki (just do a Michael Schenker search on yahoo or google) who follows Schenker religiously and has all the current updates on what's happening with Schenker. As you can tell, I'm a huge Schenker fan myself, since around 1977 when I first heard Lights Out. As for Thin Lizzy!! Yes!! Another monster band. John Sykes, Gary Moore, Brian Robertson, Scott Gorham, Snowy White-all those guitarists bring back some great memories.

pluto
06-02-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
I'm not worthy!!!

Absolutely.

Y'know, it's the cheapo cars (especially ones that 4 guys can physically pick-up and move) and the time in your life where the only responsibility is getting up early for class, that makes pre-1984 albums like "Screaming for Vengeance", "Back in Black", "Piece of Mind", "Moving Pictures", "Fair Warning", "Diary of a Madman", "Escape " (sorry mark!), "Ghost in the Machine", "Blackout", "Asia", "No Parole for Rock n Roll"/"Steeler", "Lick it Up", such perennial classic, pre-MTV hairband, metal!! And oh, when you throw in the fact the that TONE- OMG, the TONEs on those records - scarred me for life!!

To add to the list: Raven-Wiped Out; More-Warhead; Michael Schenker-first album and Assault Attack; Riot-Fire Down Under; Anvil-Metal on Metal; Accept (can't remember the album name-but the one that starts off with "Fast as a Shark"); Saxon-Denim and Leather; all the Maiden albums, etc., etc., Those were some awesome times!

nickdahl
06-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by andersonguy
Dont recall the name of it but I had a great JP live album, Perhaps a double live, I dont remember. I remember learning the ripper from it as well as few others that my band used to cover. Cool stuff.;)

Could this be the "Unleashed in the East" album? Early Priest was phenomenal, culminating with the "Screaming for Vengence" album. I saw that tour in an exhibition hall in Eugene, Oregon. Between bands, the crowd pushed in the barricade between them and the stage. Roadies were flipping out, saying "you've got to get back...you've GOT to get back." When Priest came on, I saw why. Their stage shot forward and stopped about 2 feet from my face! Needless to say, it was a great show.

Nick

andersonguy
06-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Unleashed in the East!!

That was it.:D :D

Marty S Horne
06-03-2004, 02:17 PM
I'm not familiar with any Judas Priest albums but I did open for them in Boston in '79. All I remember is they were so loud, I had to go back in the dressing room where I could hear them just fine. I also remember being called back for an encore but they wouldn't let us.