PDA

View Full Version : Back finishes?

dplight
07-30-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm second guessing my decision to go with a natural mahogany back finish on the Crowdster +2. I'm not sure the natural mahogany will be dark enough. I guess the wood can vary somewhat. In any event I do know that I want it to be brownish and not so dark. I like to see the wood through the finish. Like a Gibson Chet CE would be fine. Any comments about what you guys have done with mahogany backs would be helpful and may either make me happy with my decision or allow me to change it before it's too late. Thanks

tom
07-30-2010, 12:06 PM
natural mahogany is an fairly light orangy brown color. i would not really call it brown. what color is the top going to be?

dplight
07-30-2010, 01:21 PM
The top is bora to transblue burst with binding.
The light orangy brown back I'm pretty sure is what I'm wanting. My Gibson Chet CE is like that and a Les Paul I had some time back was also. I'm just not sure if there was some added color to the CE or not. I'm sure I could find an example in the gallery. I'll go take a look.

tom
07-30-2010, 01:22 PM
there should be some shots of that. also, any of the crowdster or cobra necks are the same wood and usually finished natural.

dplight
07-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Maybe this will show up. This is the back color I want. Is it a natural mahogany?

http://www.andersonguitars.com/cfpages/gallery_display.cfm?passedID=38&finishID=228&bodyWoodID=33&modelList=38,47,55

tom
07-30-2010, 01:47 PM
yup, that's natural.

dplight
07-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Thank you. Now nothing to do but wait!

marzzz
07-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Tom, are you starting to go more toward natural back finishes? I have a Jack's Blue Cobra with the back also finished blue and I think it looks beautiful, but I seem to remember that many of the NAMM guitars had natural finishes.

tom
07-30-2010, 03:55 PM
my personal take is that it is a fad. whether it will go on forever is anybody's guess. it's not something that has any history so we'll see if it sticks. i personally like matching backs better, but when color is concerned it's subjective and whatever the customer likes is what he or she can have providing we can do it(unless it's a matching headstock on a maple neck;) ).

dannopelli
07-30-2010, 04:19 PM
...unless it's a matching headstock on a maple neck;) .

FWIW I think that looks horrid too.

dplight
07-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Personally I like colored backs on electric guitars, but for some reason if it's a guitar that's going to sound acoustic then for some reason I like it to have a natural or dark woody finish. I guess it's to emulate the acoustic guitars I've had.