PDA

View Full Version : Tone as big as Texas

jimmieb
05-31-2004, 05:26 PM
Well folks I didn't plan on it, but I went to the Boogie store to test drive a Lone Star. I could not leave the store without it! Truth is I've been wanting it for some time. I opted for the 2x12 version. More bottom and more presence. My fear was after playing a Triais/2:90 into a pair of 2x12 recto cabs, I wouldn't have enough amp. I'm in the same boat as some of the other guys playing in church, I'm too loud. I've only used it for two Sundays and one rehearsal. The amp is very present and I found myself using the variac and not the full 100 watts of power. On the channel one I set up as clean with 50 watts. With the variac it's about 30 watts. Which with the tube rectifier the tone is warm and a little spongy, which I like. Plus I'm using this channel to use my Full Tone full drive 2 to get a very different lead channel from the channel 2. The channel 2 I use the drive on it to get more break up than ch 1. I use the 100 watt setting for more dynamic headroom. It's my actual lead channel, but the amp is so dynamic volume changes on my guitar can completely change the tone. I'm tring to educate myself on buying/using pedals. I like the Full Tone stuff it seems they work well with Fender-like amps or so I'm told. Anyway, I love the amp and am learning so much to get it to work well for me. I've been using rack stuff for so long I'm playing catch up on pedals and stuff. I tried using my TC G Major in the FX loop and it seem to suck too much tone from the amp.
The amp base is Fender-like, kind of silver face Twin, maybe kind of silver face Princeton. It's not as shimmery as Fenders and I seem to prefer a mahogany guitar as opposed to alder. Still I'm liking some of the alder tones. The Cobra's tones seem to make the amp more Vibro-King like. The main thing that jumps out is how expressive the amp is, I've never felt so connected to an amp before. In fact, I can't be lazy in my playing, especially when using the silicon-diode rectifier. It's keeps you honest. The only words I can use is "THE TONE", it has it and I can't explain it you have to experiece it yourself. I will have to work with it longer to be more clear on my impressions, I'll get back to you.

Jimmie B

andersonguy
05-31-2004, 05:48 PM
Thanks Jimmy,
I have wondered about those amps. Does it come in a head form?
You mind me asking what it cost?
Sound clips?

AG

jimmieb
05-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by andersonguy
Thanks Jimmy,
I have wondered about those amps. Does it come in a head form?
You mind me asking what it cost?
Sound clips?

AG
Hay AG,

The 2x12 is $1600, the 1x12 is $100 less, and the head is another $100 less. I really wonder how close the circuity is to the first Boogie/Princetons.

Jimmie B

PS I love Santa Fe, what an awesome place to live, need a roomy?

andersonguy
05-31-2004, 06:25 PM
LOL! No, my wife and I just have enough room for two, sorry. Its a different place to be sure. You been here?
I used to play in a band with a female vocalist from San Dimas, when I lived in LA. Fun!:D

AG