PDA

View Full Version : Drop D tuning on my Cobra. Issues?

andersonguy
05-28-2004, 01:56 PM
Im doing an audition for a band that plays a lot in drop d tuning. I figured my cobra (humbucker setup) would be best sounding for this particular setup. Read that a thicker E string works best and since this is just an audition I dont want to be changing too much.
I play .009 - .046 gauge and am only changing the E string to a .048.
Do I need to make any other adjustments on my Cobra?

Can I just put the .048 on tune it to D and go?

:confused:

AG

sylvanshine
05-28-2004, 02:55 PM
I play on .10-.46 sets. Subbed for a band that tuned to Eb. My Gibsons felt all loosy goosy. Hollow Cobra was no problem. Tension felt almost the same. You might not even need a thicker string, especially since it's just Drop D.

When I go to Drop D, I always tune by fretting at the 5th (G). I find that while it may be in tune open, I tend to go sharp when I press down.

Good luck

tom
05-28-2004, 04:26 PM
i have a hipshot d tuner on my guitars, and do a lot of drop d. i use reg 10-46 strings. it would be a bit better with a little bigger string. i'm lazy so i just use the 46. a 52 would be really cool for the D, but i think it sounds a little dark for E. i tune so the d is slightly flat because when you fret the 46 tuned down, it's real easy to play it sharp, especially in the first few frets. i know it sounds goofy, but i lean on the neck a bit when i'm playing the d to bring it to pitch, then not when i fret it.

Roy (maybe)
05-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Hello Andersonguy,

At the risk of sounding overly simplistic but perhaps pragmatic, I play several songs a night with Drop-D tuning. The technique that I have found works best is to tune the low string to D and play. I do it by ear on the fly but if you are dropping pitch using a tuner, it would be one or two cents flat for the open string. Sounds Great! I never think about it much more than that. New chord shapes is where you can put your focus. That is enough…and enough from me too.

Have Fun & Happy Playing,
Roy (maybe)

BrianH
05-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Every gig we play I have to do a couple of drop d songs. I use a Hip-shot, and keep the string gauge standard. No problems what so ever, and it works great. Usually tune it up by ear, just a hair flat, and go.

andersonguy
05-29-2004, 10:46 PM
I need to check into this hip-shot thing. Guess Im out of the loop.
Where do I find them so I can send it to bruce for a retro.;)

AG

BrianH
05-30-2004, 09:37 AM
Call me dude, I think I know a guy that might have a couple on hand!