PDA

View Full Version : New Van Halen song "It's About Time"

michaelomiya
05-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Its About Time (http://www.rockinrosco.com/vh2004.mp3)

Check it out now before Eddie's lawyers take it down!

Scott Peterson
05-26-2004, 11:19 PM
It is getting bashed on a few boards; but I like it. :D

nickdahl
05-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks for posting this link, Michael. I've been trying to find the song for the last couple of days.

Well, where does one begin? I don't know if I'd bash the song. It's a little different for Van Halen, for sure. The guitar is sure foregrounded! Alex's drumming seems a bit subdued. And I guess the lyrics are trying to make a statement.

I think, in the end, it's the same ol' problem I've had since 1981: I expect every album to sound like "Fair Warning," and none of them have.

Nick

wodka
05-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Dear God that is awful. What made early VH great was the sense of humor, for which I'm sure DRL was responsible. Tone wise, this sounds like a demo. Much like the last Metallica album. Too bad. Why Eddie won't just make a solo album is beyond me. Take someone like Jeff Beck. He's evolved so much over the last 25 years. Eddie has just as much talent, but he's been in a rut since 1984, and that was a long time ago.

Stys
05-27-2004, 03:29 PM
I like it. But then, I actually liked VH3 which got poor reviews. I agree that Cherone was not a good choice but the music on the album is good - upon listening through headphones, you will hear many different things going on.

As for Jeff Beck - everything he does is great.

dpeterson
05-27-2004, 06:02 PM
it's growing on me... i'm giving it some time. it does not sound like van halen.. van halens sound is gone.

drums are too low in the mix.. guitar is too loud. I've never really liked sammy in the band, he changed the whole dynamic.

but sometimes you have to cut stuff loose that you once loved, and deal with it. people change, bands change, sounds change.

cherone was great with nuno and extreme, III sides is one of my top five cd's, awesome beginning to end, he just didnt click with eddie.

time will tell..

dave

pluto
05-27-2004, 06:46 PM
Never been a VH fan but that song was ok/average. My office speakers may not be doing the song justice though.