PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog v. Atom CT feel

Aesculap
05-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Are the bulldog and atom CT designed to have a similar feel and
playability? I understand that switches and such are different.
But from a design standpoint, what about feel? I love the feel of the Atom CT and want to order a Bulldog unseen. Any help from the insiders?
thanks

tom
05-05-2010, 11:18 PM
very similar feel. the bulldog has a bit more bulk to the top carve but the same recess on the bridge so the forearm comfyness is about the same. the wider waist of the atom makes playing while sitting a little nicer.

Aesculap
05-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the reply. Now for the hard part. So many options...

GDane1
05-06-2010, 01:23 PM
I think the current GOTW has the "new" headstock for the atom. It seems a little lengthened. Not sure. Any way to get a good shot of the entire guitar straight on?? Also, anyone order a goldtop in the initial group? Mmmm, that's what I'm thinkin.

tom
05-06-2010, 01:38 PM
that is still one of the two first ones. the new ones all have gloss headstock with the blonde A logo.
haven't seen a gold top yet, but a dealer has one ordered with the new quiet p90's with creme covers. that one should be delicious.

GDane1
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
So am I allowed to ask if it was a spec order? or for a customer? And if spec'd where? Serious palpitations here . . . .:D

tom
05-06-2010, 07:07 PM
it's a spec guitar for mesa hollywood.

GDane1
05-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Thank you
thank you

csd
05-06-2010, 08:23 PM
so, can you tell us more about these 'quiet P90's'?
4 conductor hum cancelling?

tom
05-07-2010, 10:14 AM
it's a new construction style for us, and p90's have so much room inside that you have much more freedom to play. the strat pu is so small that there isn't a whole lot you can fit in there.
it is humcancelling and i'm not sure yet about 4 conductor wire. i've been so enjoying the 3 sounds that the guitar has that i have not been looking for more. splitting would not yield a tone anything like a p90 and you'd get the hum back so that doesn't make lots of sense. i may give parallel a try because we can make plenty of power with this structure.
all i can say about the sound is that i was instantly trans formed back to my youth when i had an sg special with p90s' and a gold top with p90s's. i have always considered p90's sort of a one trick pony, a very good trick, but not particularly versatile. these have completely changed my mind. they handle clean and gain all wonderfully well. played a ton last weekend with no drive pedal on at all and just loved using the volume control on the guitar and pick attack power.

chriswhite
05-07-2010, 11:13 AM
I want a pair so bad now

Feinberger
05-07-2010, 02:57 PM
I want a pair so bad now

I am going to agree with you. One of those silent P-90's is definitely going to be the neck pickup of my next guitar.

chriswhite
05-07-2010, 05:07 PM
I am going to agree with you. One of those silent P-90's is definitely going to be the neck pickup of my next guitar.
I never thought about that... I wonder how a P90 in the neck position would sound matched with my HC2 in the Bridge... Gibby's do that P90 with a HB

tom
05-07-2010, 05:25 PM
i'm using the bridge pickup way more than the neck by itself. the combo is extra tasty though.

csd
05-08-2010, 09:19 PM
very exciting tom! i was always keen on the p90 but didn't like the noise. sounds like you picked another winner!! ;)

Feinberger
05-11-2010, 10:25 PM
it's a new construction style for us, and p90's have so much room inside that you have much more freedom to play.

Do you think you will make a Hollow Bulldog in the future, maybe even with a Bigsby? Or maybe like a thicker Atom? You know put like one of these quite P-90's in the neck and like a new PAF style Anderson pickup in the Bridge ;)

tom
05-11-2010, 10:46 PM
i think a hollow guitar with a bigsby would be a different guitar than a bulldog. it would undo what the bulldog was made to do.
i think we'll se the new quiet p90 end up in lots of things.