PDA

View Full Version : what if there were quiet p90 style pickups that sounded really good?

tom
04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
had a magical experience last weekend, hoping to relive it this weekend:D

kevin h
04-29-2010, 06:58 PM
oooh... you've got my attention.

tom
04-29-2010, 07:36 PM
will report back after this weekend. i was giddy after last weekend.

bud
04-29-2010, 09:44 PM
"what if there were quiet p90 style pickups that sounded really good?"

They would need to be in a hollow atombulldogster... in my possession.:D

Feinberger
04-29-2010, 10:39 PM
had a magical experience last weekend, hoping to relive it this weekend:D

I would really want a hollow Atom with one of these P-90's in the neck position.....

chriswhite
04-30-2010, 12:18 AM
I'd try them in my CT, I love P-style pups.

I love how Tom starts the thread with an open-ended statement waiting for someone to ask "whats up?" Brilliant

tom
04-30-2010, 09:32 AM
so, what's up?

wolf
04-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Either gotta be the new Kinman or another of Tom's genius brainwaves ????

bud
04-30-2010, 11:38 AM
so, what's up?

If this miracle of modern technology were to actually exist, what would it look like?

To repeat a frequent request around here. Pictures, please. Inquiring minds want to know.

guitarzan
04-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Tom,
I need to get my grimy hands on these hypothetical silent P90's. If only there were a test guitar somewheres. Somewheres very very close....

hmmmmmmm....

North Carolina next week for me, but then the week afterwards I'll be standing outside the shop, like a very silent, very tall, very handsome P90 pickup.

tom
04-30-2010, 12:01 PM
it would look exactly the same as a p90 but the pole piece screw spacing would be slightly wider so the high e string would balance and the mounting screws would be moved out to in between the E and B and the A and E so you could better adjust the angle of the pickup for bass and treble. it would be black or cream colored and would have a few different winds available to be best suited for neck or bridge position. probably even a hotter one for the bridge for those who want to rock hard. oh and did i mention that it would not hum?

bud
04-30-2010, 12:12 PM
it would look exactly the same as a p90 ... oh and did i mention that it would not hum?

Dang. Just dang! Ok zanman, if your library card has not been revoked you need to visit the office. There might be a couple of amps here you can demo it with ;)

tom
04-30-2010, 12:32 PM
there is a hypothetical 3 pu version being built that i suspect zan will be collecting for a visit in the near future.

chriswhite
04-30-2010, 03:40 PM
...if your library card has not been revoked you need to visit the office.
I know I just returned one but I wouldnt mind checkin out another if possible. I am still planning on purchasing a new member to my family and all options considered need to be tested. :D

rockjock
04-30-2010, 04:00 PM
such an innovation could be fashioned to fit into an 'M' cutout on a hollow atom?

let's aim high!

Pietro
04-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Heck, I'm not even a P90-guy and I'm intrigued.

But, for the record, I like Gibson's P100, too.

tom
04-30-2010, 04:10 PM
the M is a smaller cavity so this won't fit there.

Feinberger
04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Man, a quite P-90 with the M pickups would sound wonderful

chriswhite
06-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Tom,

I had to rush out of the shop so quickly on Friday since I was running late for work. I never got a chance to talk to you about that Cobra. I had some questions.

What were the body and neck woods?
-was the body Alder with a Mahogany neck?

Was that beauty dressed with the lo-rise frets?

and

IS THERE ANYWAY TO RETROFIT THEM INTO MY COBRA SPECIAL?!?!?!?! /s

Holy Mackerel that guitar sounded so good. I spent almost all of my play time on the neck pup, it was so smooth, it sounded so full and creamy through my Z. The bridge pup was a little harsher through my Z but sounded fantastic through my TA-15. Tom, you're killing me... I cant afford 2 guitars right now. I guess I'll just have to stick with my Shorty (is it September yet?)

tom
06-28-2010, 12:40 PM
it is a mahogany neck and body on the cobra special you tried.
it would be fairly major surgery to put them in your cobra. all three holes would have to be routed and then you could not have the round over on the top edges.

chriswhite
06-28-2010, 02:54 PM
it is a mahogany neck and body on the cobra special you tried.
it would be fairly major surgery to put them in your cobra. all three holes would have to be routed and then you could not have the round over on the top edges.
I was only joking about the retrofit.

There were 2 reasons I thought it was an Alder body.
1. It was lighter (weight) than my Cobra
2. the grain of the wood looked more like Alder but I was mistaken.

You said that it was a Cobra Special when you lent it to me and then I was thinking that if it were Alder then it would be a "T" I'm sure there a couple different things that vary the weight slightly between the 2 guitars.

Either way nice work I LOVED it.

tom
06-28-2010, 03:43 PM
it has one less pickup and it does not have a trem. that can add up to a pound.

bud
06-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Tom do you have the PQ dimensions handy? (either the pickup itself, or the required rout)

tom
06-28-2010, 05:46 PM
1.390" x 3.385" is the bottom of the cover, a little over .85" tall. we like to make cavities .050" larger all the way around to make sure the pickup doesn't vibrate against the wall and give us squealing trouble.
we did also spread the pole piece spacing out just a bit to give us better coverage on the E strings, and also moved the mounting screws out to be tween the E and B, and A and E to make it easier to get some angle adjustment out of them.

bud
06-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks, I need to do some measurin'