PDA

View Full Version : New Cobra

Ted Witcher
10-05-2003, 10:24 PM
Well, I got the Cobra -- black with binding, HO p/ups. Highest level of luthiery, no doubt. But...

Sounds a little thin, clean. With distortion, there's definitely some thump there (I'm not talking modern metal thump, more like classic rock thump) in the lower mids, but not enough. It's like there's a spot on the tone control I'm listening for that I don't have. I've dedicated an OD pedal just to this guitar (usually I find sweet spots on all my effects/amps and just set it and forget it, no matter which axe) and gotten a little closer to what I'm after. I'm going to keep playing it for awhile and then start experimenting with different strings and perhaps different p/ups. TA's original recommendation, which I ignored, was to got with his personal Cobra p/ups, which are H1+ and H2. I thought that might be too hot and dark because I preferred a more PAF sound. Perhaps now I'll reconsider. There's also the possibility of high-end third party PAF guys like Tom Holmes, but I don't know how those'll sound when split. The guitar is ridiculously playable and bending is so easy I think I'll start learning those Albert King solos I've been putting off... but I need to more fully realize the sound first. Any thoughts would be welcome.

tom
10-06-2003, 04:35 PM
i think everyone wants to use vintage type pickups, but not eveyone can make them work. i know i can't. our gear is way different now than in the old days. you can certainly try some other vintage style humbuckers, but your split sound will suffer. i stand by my h2 bridge pickup, you may want something weaker in the neck. maybe h1-.

John Price
10-06-2003, 06:35 PM
For my Cobra I have the H2+ in the bridge and the H1- in the neck and I really love that setup! the split sounds are very beautiful sounding never thinking that a guitar like this could create such realistic single coil tones....
This guitar is huge for tone, I use it for many gigs that range from rock, pop, dance, then into the jazz funk fusion gigs.....:cool:

I would stay with Tom Anderson Pickups and don't be afraid to try the H1+ or even the H2+ in the bridge! You might be surprised at how well the split coils sound with a hotter pickup!
Hope this helps...JP...

BrianH
10-07-2003, 10:16 AM
What HO's do you have in it now?

Stan Malinowski
10-07-2003, 10:26 AM
I have a Hollow Cobra S with HO- (neck) and HO+ (bridge) pickups and find the combination yield a lot of tones useful to my style (classic rock & blues). I was loaned a Cobra with H1 & H2+ pickups for evaluation before I ordered my own. I found the H1/H2+ pickups to be a bit too hot for what I was looking for. I also felt the "split coil" sounds were a bit muddy to me. When I took the plunge and ordered I backed off to the HO-/HO+ combo which gave me some serious rocking sounds when driven and produces some nice bright split coil tones.

Having said this need to ask the question if the following deifferences in my set-up would matter...
1) My Cobra is Hollow. The Hollow models do have a bit of a more "open" tone to me than the solid Cobras.
2) The first pedal in my signal chain is a ZVex Super Duper Clean Boost Pedal. Maybe this gives me that little extra "oomph" from the HO series pickups???

Ted Witcher
10-07-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. I have the HO1- and HO1+. I think I might go with the H1- and H2 or H2+ in the bridge. Guess I have to get back to my dealer soon...

BrianH
10-07-2003, 02:43 PM
You'll love the H1-, H2+ combination.

LeonC
10-18-2003, 10:54 PM
I absolutely love my Cobra. That guitar never lets me down. H1, H2+. Absolutely not too hot or dark, IMHO. Just right. The split tones are incredibly good and the humbuckers absolutely wail. Clean or dirty, this is one fantastic sounding, looking and playing guitar. Plenty of clips using this guitar available through links in my signature.

Ted Witcher
10-19-2003, 12:21 AM
Leon, what is that effect you're using the second time through the head on "Little Wing"? Some kind of auto-pan or something?