PDA

View Full Version : Any Maiden fans??

pluto
05-24-2004, 07:48 PM
Probably not over here, but I thought I would ask anyway since I'm listening to "Beast Over Hammersmith" from the boxset. I still remember when my wife bought me a Killers T-shirt this past year and my jaw just dropped-one of my favorite albums of all time!!:D Yes, it's embarassing wearing that t-shirt in public, but who cares-that album cover is cool!!

pluto
05-24-2004, 08:52 PM
Tombo-definitely agreed. I love Maiden and a lot of bands from that era-but I don't have any of Maiden's new stuff. It's not that I don't care-it's just that for me, it doesn't get any better than Peace of Mind, Number of the Beast and especially Killers. I actually like Paul Di'anno as much as Bruce. Di'anno had that punk attitude along with that distinct growl whereas Bruce has the quintessential metal voice. As for Metallica, it's the same-I haven't bought any of their albums after the Black Album. Kill em All is still my favorite album they made and that was their first one! The only band from nearly that era whose CDs I still buy is UFO-that's only because I'm a huge Schenker fan and a big Vinnie Moore fan too. As far as Japan-I can't believe how much the Japanese fans just love metal there still yet. Yngwie always wins best guitarist!! My old guitar teacher, Marty Friedman lives there now and I also heard Paul Gilbert has been living there too! Amazing. When I was living there, the only thing I hated was that I couldn't read Young Guitar magazine and they always had the coolest articles (I should've studied Japanese harder when I was going to college)! I still listen to old school metal like these bands, but like you, it's been fusion, some jazz, etc (but not country!).

andersonguy
05-24-2004, 08:57 PM
I just found my original Killers album the other day but I no longer have a record player.;)

AG

pluto
05-24-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by andersonguy
I just found my original Killers album the other day but I no longer have a record player.;)

AG

Damn, I hate getting dissed! :p Ah, that's okay, reliving my high school days is pretty fun as long as it doesn't get to the Al Bundy stage!

andersonguy
05-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by pluto
Damn, I hate getting dissed! :p Ah, that's okay, reliving my high school days is pretty fun as long as it doesn't get to the Al Bundy stage!
No Pluto, I wasnt dissin you, Im totally serious. I was cleaning out my office/studio/guest room and found my old album stack. I have some amazing albums in there and I was checking out the Killers album along with the UFO live. I used to have a very Maidenish band back in the day. Dont follow them any more though but it is some cool stuff.
Sorry if you thought I was dissin:)

AG

michaelomiya
05-24-2004, 10:32 PM
OK, I gotta get in on this conversation. It's 1983, Piece of Mind is released. Maiden's on tour w/ Saxon and Fastway. Long Beach Arena, summer of 1983. It's hot, and the Long Beach Arena's rockin. Saxon blazing through "this town knows how to rock" and "denim and leather" and "power and the glory".

Maiden comes on and opens w/ "Where Eagles Dare", and in Maiden fashion rip through the entire album, except for Sun and Steel (based on the life of Miyamoto Musashi). End of the set, during Hallowed Be Thy Name, Eddie's head, the size of Nicko's Sonor set, appears. The lid of Eddie's head opens and his brain lifts out. At 16, something like this is going to leave an indelible mark - and it did - I am a Maiden fan to this day! Up the Irons!

michaelomiya
05-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by tombo
Pluto,

You kill me!!! We have so much in common I can't believe it - we both like Andys, kids, Korg PX-4s and now........Iron Maiden.

I was a big Maiden fan in h.s. ('82-'84). "Piece Of Mind" is THE pinnacle of Iron Maiden, IMO. Most of my CDs are back in Minnesota, so just last week we rented a bunch of metal CDs at the video store here Nagoya. One of them was....."Edward The Great - The Best Of Iron Maiden (2002)." It had all the biggies on there, but it also had a few cuts with "Blaze Bayley" on it too. I dubbed the CD to MD. Needless to say, the Blaze Bayley cuts are......getting cut;) Nobody can replace Bruce Dickinson.

Having said that, I would also like to make an observation. Iron Maiden are still going strong. They are featured in Japanese magazines like "Burnn" and "Young Guitar" ALL THE TIME! However, I gotta admit......the boys in I.M. aint gettin' any younger and it's sorta hard to see them run around on stage with wrinkled faces singing about the Crimean War and galloping horses, etc. I don't really go out of my way to hear the newer stuff, but if someone has it, I'll listen to it. That goes for most metal (but I still dig Metallica and all their "stages" too). Mostly it's blues, country players (not that "New Nashville" crap), and jazz for me now. Oh yeah.....Brazilians still love I.M. too. Hmmm.....:confused:

Tombo, speaking of guitar music in Japan, I can't believe the number of Scandinvian bands and their popularity (due to YG magazine?). Sonata Arctica, COB, etc. And speaking of S. America, what about Angra? I tell you, I really like Schon (Mr Orange/ Crave). Punk rhythms and that Paul Gilber-style playing.

andersonguy
05-24-2004, 11:18 PM
:D Hey Tombo, I think country has some very cool rocken stuff, and the players are some of the best. I really enjoy the tone on a lot of country albums, hence my awesome hollow T classic:D

AG

michaelomiya
05-25-2004, 01:52 AM
I about flipped cuz he started mentioning all these bands that I see in "Young Guitar" (Blind Guardian, Gottard, Stratovarius, etc.), but would never listen to. "Hokuou Metal's" counterpart to that would be "eru ei metaru" (L.A. Metal). You wouldn't believe how the metal fans over here are into every little detail of their favorite band.

Agreed! all of these guys featured in YG are sooo derivative - which is probably why the Japanese dig them so much. Your romaji's great - must be hilarious trying to converse about gear over there.

but I have a hard time respecting Japanese music in general. Some really great players over here, but pop stars are literally a dime a dozen. I call it the "karaoke syndrome." Meaning, everybody here does karaoke, and everyone gets applause after their "performance", whether you deserve it or not. Entertainment here is fashion over substance OR just blatant copying of western performers/bands. .... the good ones are few and far between, IMO.

Absolutely. As you know, culturally individualism is not something that is encouraged. Perhaps w/ recent generations, but not traditionally. The societal requirement to conform is evident in everything from the uniform manner in which the Japanese write their kanji/hiragana to the way they transact in business. But when you think about it, with 145 million people living on a rock the size of California, it would be total anarchy if everyone of those Japanese were to declare themselves independent. Which brings me to that music issue. I think that with bands like Anthem, Loudness, Earthshaker, Magnum44, B'z, BowWow, that they were taking the music to the next level, derivative still, but good musicianship. Unfortunately, the interia of the 80's was killed by MTV and Seattle scene, and the Japanese music scene reflected that as well. Saber Tiger is worth checking out though.

BTW, where do you work? I was w/ the Walt Disney Company for 3 years working on Tokyo DisneySea in Chiba/Urayasu. Unfortunately, too many nimawashi outings and a family at home in CA caused me to reconsider how/where I should be conducting business!

Joel
05-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Up the Irons!

I love Maiden. The first concert I ever saw was the Powerslave tour at Reunion Arena in Dallas. I actually saw them last year when they were on tour with Motorhead and Dioand they still rock.

I agree that it doesn't get any better than Piece of Mind but you should check out Brave New World and Dance of the Dead which are there newest albums. It's not like the old stuff but it is very good.

I have Killers on album too but I don't have a record player either.

Joel

pluto
05-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by andersonguy
No Pluto, I wasnt dissin you, Im totally serious. I was cleaning out my office/studio/guest room and found my old album stack. I have some amazing albums in there and I was checking out the Killers album along with the UFO live. I used to have a very Maidenish band back in the day. Dont follow them any more though but it is some cool stuff.
Sorry if you thought I was dissin:)

AG

Actually, I owe my apology to you-not that I take any dissin' seriously! I thought your comment was funny! One album I still wish I had was the Maiden Japan mini live album. Remember that one? I have yet to see it on CD anywhere. As for the UFO live SITN album-I had two copies on LPs, 1 copy on cassette and 2 copies of the CD-it's probably my favorite album of all time. Schenker owns on that album. EDIT: After checking my PM box, just found out Maiden did release the Maiden Japan EP in CD format! Too cool.

pluto
05-25-2004, 12:15 PM
pluto,

You don't know what yer missin':

Brent Mason - self-titled CD, and his part-time "Players" group
Jim Campilongo - anything
Redd Volkaert - both his CDs are AMAZING:eek:
Bill Kirchen - check out "Twangbangers" & "Tied To The Wheel"
Duke Levine - not all country, but two AMAZING CDs: "Lava" & "Country Soul Guitar".....guitar playing doesn't get any better.
Scotty Anderson - anything
Johnny Hiland - he has a new one out, haven't heard it yet.

.....and the list goes on. Don't discount country. These guys are some of the tastiest/hottest players around.

Oh.....and back to Iron Maiden and guitar in Japan.......it's just amazing how metal lives over here. It hasn't died at all, even when "Grunge" took over the States in the early 90's. Here its like "Grunge....what is that????".

Again, I'm not a big metal guy (anymore), but if you like it - Japan is the place to be. Paul Gilbert's whole career is based here as is Marty Friedman's (who is (was???) married to a Japanese girl). Oh.....Deep Purple will forever live in Japan. Every guy who graduated in the 70's knows them, as well as their offspring. "Smoke On The Water" really IS universal - even my students in the music club know how to play that riff (or approximate it).

Ha! That's funny about the grunge comment. I think the Japanese are simply audiophile fanatics. I used to be totally into Indie type stuff back in the early 90's as well as metal, and I remember while I was living in Nagano, I would go to Tokyo about once a month to buy really obscure CDs from then unknown bands like Blur and Stereolab. As far as your latter comment on Japanese music, I gotta agree. A good friend of mine is/was totally into Glay and she made me a copy of their stuff. When I heard it, I couldn't believe how bad it was. J-pop is even worse! Yikes.

pluto
05-25-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Joel
Up the Irons!

I love Maiden. The first concert I ever saw was the Powerslave tour at Reunion Arena in Dallas. I actually saw them last year when they were on tour with Motorhead and Dioand they still rock.

I agree that it doesn't get any better than Piece of Mind but you should check out Brave New World and Dance of the Dead which are there newest albums. It's not like the old stuff but it is very good.

I have Killers on album too but I don't have a record player either.

Joel

Thanks Joel for the recommendations. I was wondering how Dance of the Dead was. The album cover is pretty cool (that's one thing I could always count on-Maiden with a cool cover!).

michaelomiya
05-25-2004, 12:44 PM
J-pop is even worse! Yikes.

yeah, but back in 1996/97, Namie Amuro and all of those great looking dancers/singers coming out of that Okinawa school....oh, yeah, music....yes the material was quite bad...wasn't it?

pluto
05-25-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
yeah, but back in 1996/97, Namie Amuro and all of those great looking dancers/singers coming out of that Okinawa school....oh, yeah, music....yes the material was quite bad...wasn't it?

I never thought Amuro Namie was that cute for some reason. I remember my ex-girlfriend used to drag me down to the Karaoke room to sing Amuro songs. That, and Kahala Tomomi and Hamasaki Aya. Yikes. And what's up with those boy J-pop bands like Smap? They have the physique of preteen girls and they're friggin' stars!!! Too funny. It's interesting though how the J-Pop culture is so influential in Asia. Every now and then when I'm channel surfing, I'll catch those Korean pop (K-pop??) singers and they're just like J-pop, down to the faux hip hop culture and grooves, Zoom guitar tones and bad Mariah Carey impersonations!!

michaelomiya
05-25-2004, 01:53 PM
I never thought Amuro Namie was that cute for some reason. I remember my ex-girlfriend used to drag me down to the Karaoke room to sing Amuro songs. That, and Kahala Tomomi and Hamasaki Aya. Yikes. And what's up with those boy J-pop bands like Smap? They have the physique of preteen girls and they're friggin' stars!!! Too funny. It's interesting though how the J-Pop culture is so influential in Asia. Every now and then when I'm channel surfing, I'll catch those Korean pop (K-pop??) singers and they're just like J-pop, down to the faux hip hop culture and grooves, Zoom guitar tones and bad Mariah Carey impersonations!!

That last name/first name thing....
anyway, Smap, don't be started.... the precursor to N'Snyc and other boy bands...it's all bad in any language!
Those Korean bands are pretty funny, but I have noticed some of the bands using Bogner and Marshall (FWIW).

And regarding Amuro Namie, we'll just agree to disagree on that one!;) You gotta admit she started a pretty cool fashion trend though....I remember jetting over to Shinjuku (NOT the Kabuki-cho or the Okama districts) on Sundays and walking through the streets, wondering why the women get so dressed up just to shop...no wonder local folks give da buddahead tourists so much grief when they t'ink dat de can come buy up Ala Mo! such attitudes yea?

pluto
05-25-2004, 02:20 PM

And regarding Amuro Namie, we'll just agree to disagree on that one!;) You gotta admit she started a pretty cool fashion trend though....I remember jetting over to Shinjuku (NOT the Kabuki-cho or the Okama districts) on Sundays and walking through the streets, wondering why the women get so dressed up just to shop...no wonder local folks give da buddahead tourists so much grief when they t'ink dat de can come buy up Ala Mo! such attitudes yea?

Okay, I'll give Amuro props for that!!!!! Ala Moana wouldn't be Ala Moana without the Boboras!! From Iron Maiden to Bobora chicks-I like this thread!!

michaelomiya
05-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Okay, I'll give Amuro props for that!!!!! Ala Moana wouldn't be Ala Moana without the Boboras!! From Iron Maiden to Bobora chicks-I like this thread!!

It's funny because when I was in Japan (only the weekends) I would resist trying to be a "local". At the risk of being ethnocentric, I would purposely don whatever I'd wear at home (think shorts/ boro boro t-shirts) and throw on the zori, and walk around town. In Tokyo and Osaka, not too big a deal. But in Hiroshima and Fukuoka, man, it was like the Japanese looking at me saying, "Dat guy one boboda or wot?".

Shifting gears, I think I'll throw in that "Brave New World" disc just for kicks!

gammarays
05-25-2004, 02:55 PM
i absolutely love maiden...but they have to get rid of janick gers and just get back to dave murray/adrian smith on guitar

Joel
05-25-2004, 07:40 PM
I agree with you gamma. He was the only bad thing about the concert I saw. Dancing around, posing, flipping his guitar around by the strap - looked pretty damn stupid to me.

gammarays
05-25-2004, 09:11 PM
joel,
my theory is that janick isn't even playing...how can you play those songs and whip your guitar around...either he's the world's greatest guitar player or he's not plugged in...

michaelomiya
05-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Another vote for yanking Janick. Adrian & Dave are good on their own.

Now, a question (and a long explanation):

I used to have some Iron Maiden singles on vinyl waaaaay back in '84-'85 or so. One of them was "Aces High" (I believe). On the B-side was a song called "Rainbow's Gold." I always loved the guitar intro on that song......fast forward to now......I sold all my vinyl to a friend in '94 (doh!!!!). I want "Rainbow's Gold."

I seem to remember some re-issue CD's back in '95 or '96 (NOTB, POM, Powerslave) that had extra tracks on them and I believe "Rainbows Gold" is one of them.

Anybody have any info on this? I did a Google search, but some of the stores (particularly in England) have like 87 pages worth of Iron Maiden stuff. I'm not THAT desperate. I would just like to find the song on CD and would like to buy the CD - not a copy this time. Thanks for any help TAG members can provide.

Tom, I believe that "Rainbow's Gold" was on the flip side of "2 minutes to midnight". And here's a CD w/ all of the B-sides:

Best of the B-sides (http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/?url=album12d_archive/commentary12d3_bsides&lang=eng&link=albums)

I am unsure if it's still in print. The Iron Maiden box set, "the First 10 Years" had a lot of good, hard to find, stuff.

nickdahl
05-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Actually, I owe my apology to you-not that I take any dissin' seriously! I thought your comment was funny! One album I still wish I had was the Maiden Japan mini live album. Remember that one? I have yet to see it on CD anywhere. As for the UFO live SITN album-I had two copies on LPs, 1 copy on cassette and 2 copies of the CD-it's probably my favorite album of all time. Schenker owns on that album. EDIT: After checking my PM box, just found out Maiden did release the Maiden Japan EP in CD format! Too cool.

I still have that album (Maiden Japan). But like a lot of people here, I no longer have a turntable either! One of the best Maiden shows I ever saw, and I saw a few, was when they opened for the Scorpions in 1982, on the Number of the Beast/Blackout tour.

Nick

pluto
05-27-2004, 02:03 PM
Glad to see this thread is still running hot! A couple of other comments:
Gammarays, Joel and Tombo-I never understood why they kept Gers when Smith came back in the first place.
Tombo-The Best of the B sides is one of three CDs that is in the Boxset that came out two years ago. Japan must have that boxset. Comes with two other CDs and a Maiden shotglass. The 1982 Hammersmith concert cd alone is worth buying the boxset.
Nickdahl-The Scorpions came here to Hawaii on the same Blackout tour you mentioned. I guess they left Iron Maiden behind!!! I'll never forget that Scorpions concert-I blew off studying for my AP Chemistry exam the next day to go to that concert. Ended up with a D for that test and had to study my ass off for the rest of the semester to make up for that exam. Great concert though.

nickdahl
05-27-2004, 02:18 PM
Yes, September 1982 was a good time for concerts, especially if you lived on the West Coast. I saw Van Halen on September 1, flew to LA to catch the US Festival on the 3rd through the 5th, then spent a week recovering before I saw two nights of the Scorpions and Iron Maiden. I spent all my summer job savings on these two weeks!

Good thing I started college later that month, or I might have followed that Scorpions tour (or the VH tour) around for a while.

Nick

pluto
05-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by nickdahl
Yes, September 1982 was a good time for concerts, especially if you lived on the West Coast. I saw Van Halen on September 1, flew to LA to catch the US Festival on the 3rd through the 5th, then spent a week recovering before I saw two nights of the Scorpions and Iron Maiden. I spent all my summer job savings on these two weeks!

Good thing I started college later that month, or I might have followed that Scorpions tour (or the VH tour) around for a while.

Nick

The Scorpions must have came to Hawaii right after because I'm pretty sure I saw the concert in either late September or early October of 1982. You mainland guys are lucky that you can always catch great concerts. Nobody wants to come here these days!

nickdahl
05-27-2004, 02:33 PM
I don't understand that. Seems I'd want to end my concert tour in Hawaii, and take advantage of being in the right place at the right time, especially if the tour winds down in the winter!

Nick

michaelomiya
05-27-2004, 05:08 PM

Nick

Nick amen to that! I remember going to Radio City in Anaheim to catch this really crappy band called Metallica. Dave Mustaine was not the metal god he is today. He looked like a Fountain Valley guy w/ long hair, which he was. Jaymes on the other hand was really coming along w/ his rhythm playing.

The US Festival was actually memorial day in 1983. Are you thinking of the Anaheim stadium show w/ Maiden and the Scorpions? it would've been late summer 1982, but I believe that was a single day event. I think is was Loverboy (:eek: :confused: ) Scorpions (Blackout tour) and Maiden (Number of the Beast).

Anyway 1981-1984 were banner years for metal and LA was at the epicenter. I'd canvas BAM magazine and follow RATT, Great White and WASP around town. Yngwie was with Steeler and then joined Rockshire Records out of Anaheim, which was where Kahler had their headquarter offices (1983). Also in 1983, Dio was coming out w/ Vivian, Maiden touring on Piece of Mind. Man, the memories!

michaelomiya
05-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Glad to see this thread is still running hot!

I'll never forget that Scorpions concert-I blew off studying for my AP Chemistry exam the next day to go to that concert. Ended up with a D for that test and had to study my ass off for the rest of the semester to make up for that exam.

The real question is did you score a 4 or 5 on the AP exam at the end of the year. That's what I always told my parents. Yeah the grade may be blown, but I just tested out of my freshman year of college! Of course at the end of my 4th year, I ended up taking a bunch of GE courses that I should've taken as freshman....!:D

pluto
05-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Nick amen to that! I remember going to Radio City in Anaheim to catch this really crappy band called Metallica. Dave Mustaine was not the metal god he is today. He looked like a Fountain Valley guy w/ long hair, which he was. Jaymes on the other hand was really coming along w/ his rhythm playing.

The US Festival was actually memorial day in 1983. Are you thinking of the Anaheim stadium show w/ Maiden and the Scorpions? it would've been late summer 1982, but I believe that was a single day event. I think is was Loverboy (:eek: :confused: ) Scorpions (Blackout tour) and Maiden (Number of the Beast).

Anyway 1981-1984 were banner years for metal and LA was at the epicenter. I'd canvas BAM magazine and follow RATT, Great White and WASP around town. Yngwie was with Steeler and then joined Rockshire Records out of Anaheim, which was where Kahler had their headquarter offices (1983). Also in 1983, Dio was coming out w/ Vivian, Maiden touring on Piece of Mind. Man, the memories!

I know for sure the Blackout tour was fall of 1982. Jabs was on fire and Klaus Meine's hairline was already receding badly! Totally agreed on the 1980-1985 era before MTV killed metal. So many great bands-Maiden, Saxon, More, Waysted, Metal Church, Metallica, Megadeth, Anvil, Stampede, Virgin Steele, Michael Schenker, Scorps, Ozzy, Dio, Riot, Tygers of Pan Tang, and one of my alltime favorites-Raven! The pinnacle of metal mayhem and Kerrang(!) magazine!!

pluto
05-27-2004, 05:28 PM
The real question is did you score a 4 or 5 on the AP exam at the end of the year. That's what I always told my parents. Yeah the grade may be blown, but I just tested out of my freshman year of college! Of course at the end of my 4th year, I ended up taking a bunch of GE courses that I should've taken as freshman....!:D

Nah-didn't get to test out of my science requirement, so instead I took General Science, notorious for being the easiest class at UH which is saying a lot when you think about what a joke that school is!!!

michaelomiya
05-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Nah-didn't get to test out of my science requirement, so instead I took General Science, notorious for being the easiest class at UH which is saying a lot when you think about what a joke that school is!!!

Ahh...well no offense to the masses who attended the UC Regents run campuses (Cal, UCLA, Irvine, SD, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Davis, Riverside)...figuratively one of the nation's best public universities (?!)...but ...what a joke (academically) that experience was...IMHO.

Thanks to AP courses in HS, I nearly tested out of my freshman year req's, only to get into "trouble" academically as the university social life kicked in (translation: classes are what I do in between drinking, exchanges and intramurals!). In hindsight I got out, what I put in, and that wasn't much effort. So shame on me. Where I fault the UC is in the teaching quality of the professors and perpetuating the "publish or perish" mentality. This all distills down to $$$. No recognition of research quality, no grants. No grants, no salary increases. I had to go to a private Unversity to learn anything, and the lessons I learned were practical and applicable. FIGHT ON!:D

pluto
05-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Ahh...well no offense to the masses who attended the UC Regents run campuses (Cal, UCLA, Irvine, SD, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Davis, Riverside)...figuratively one of the nation's best public universities (?!)...but ...what a joke (academically) that experience was...IMHO.

Thanks to AP courses in HS, I nearly tested out of my freshman year req's, only to get into "trouble" academically as the university social life kicked in (translation: classes are what I do in between drinking, exchanges and intramurals!). In hindsight I got out, what I put in, and that wasn't much effort. So shame on me. Where I fault the UC is in the teaching quality of the professors and perpetuating the "publish or perish" mentality. This all distills down to $$$. No recognition of research quality, no grants. No grants, no salary increases. I had to go to a private Unversity to learn anything, and the lessons I learned were practical and applicable. FIGHT ON!:D

Believe me, there is no school that is a bigger joke academically wise than UH (at least in the bachelors of arts college), but ah, who cares, grade inflation is nice!

nickdahl
05-28-2004, 12:36 PM

They had two US Festivals. The first one was in September 1982. The Police headlined the first day, Tom Petty on the second day, and Fleetwood Mac on the third day. The one everyone remembers was the second US, with that great second day!

http://sohodojo.com/creative-class-us-festival-82.html

Nick

michaelomiya
05-28-2004, 11:06 PM
They had two US Festivals. The first one was in September 1982. The Police headlined the first day, Tom Petty on the second day, and Fleetwood Mac on the third day. The one everyone remembers was the second US, with that great second day!

http://sohodojo.com/creative-class-us-festival-82.html

Nick

Nick, I stand corrected! apologies for the oversight!

velcro-fly
06-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Eh Pluto -

Maiden??? Bruddah I was lucky enough to score what was most likely the first tape of them to ever hit Oahu...

Couple of grunts from Schofield came out to the Country and ended up on the beach in front on my house....I was in the front room attempting to play loud enough to peel paint and went out front for little pakalolo break...these guys saw me / smelled me and walked up the path and started talking about loud guitars and lolo...they told me they had just returned from being stationed in the U.K. and had a cassette of demo's of a band I was going to love....for a sample of lolo they would leave it with me...turns out it was the demo's for the "Metal for Muthas" comp - had Sanctuary, Prowler, and Iron Maiden on it...This was the Fall of 79' - "Iron Maiden" came out about 6 months later...needless to say I was hooked.

I actually got to know those two pretty well and they turned me on to all kinds of stuff available only in the U.K. from the NWOBHM - tapes brought back by their overseas buddies.

That first album and UFO's Stranger's album are to this day my two favorite discs, and I still listen to them all the time....

In fact, I'll be 40 in October and have come full circle back to complete rivet shreadhead music...scored a just MAGIC GMW Strathead and feel like a kid all over.

You remember the 98 Rockin Theater shows at the Haleiwa Theater??? Classic....yeah, we were the haoles with the local fishmarket selling poke like no tommorow - actually trading most of it way for beer from the blalas sitting next to us...

I miss those days, but I still got my music and guitars:D

Steve E

pluto
06-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by velcro-fly
Eh Pluto -

Maiden??? Bruddah I was lucky enough to score what was most likely the first tape of them to ever hit Oahu...

Couple of grunts from Schofield came out to the Country and ended up on the beach in front on my house....I was in the front room attempting to play loud enough to peel paint and went out front for little pakalolo break...these guys saw me / smelled me and walked up the path and started talking about loud guitars and lolo...they told me they had just returned from being stationed in the U.K. and had a cassette of demo's of a band I was going to love....for a sample of lolo they would leave it with me...turns out it was the demo's for the "Metal for Muthas" comp - had Sanctuary, Prowler, and Iron Maiden on it...This was the Fall of 79' - "Iron Maiden" came out about 6 months later...needless to say I was hooked.

I actually got to know those two pretty well and they turned me on to all kinds of stuff available only in the U.K. from the NWOBHM - tapes brought back by their overseas buddies.

That first album and UFO's Stranger's album are to this day my two favorite discs, and I still listen to them all the time....

In fact, I'll be 40 in October and have come full circle back to complete rivet shreadhead music...scored a just MAGIC GMW Strathead and feel like a kid all over.

You remember the 98 Rockin Theater shows at the Haleiwa Theater??? Classic....yeah, we were the haoles with the local fishmarket selling poke like no tommorow - actually trading most of it way for beer from the blalas sitting next to us...

I miss those days, but I still got my music and guitars:D

Steve E

:D "Blalas"-LOL!!!!!!!! I haven't heard that term in a while. Must have had a lot of those guys on the Haleiwa side. Those theater shows bring up some memories. Remember later on, when Mark K. (aka billybogner on the forums) and his band Sabre and then Sacred Rite used to play all over the island and eventually earned star status at the old porn Queen theater in Kaimuki??? Those were the days!! Remember those other old bands like Aaron's Rod, the Squids, and Marty Friedman's old band Hawaii? Man, the 80's were like a blur! Funny you mention it-but Strangers in the Night and Killers are my top two albums of all time-I must be coming full circle myself.