PDA

View Full Version : Neck vintage mini hum sound...

westex
05-24-2004, 08:14 AM
OK, the honeymoon is in full swing with my newly obtained Hollow Drop Top Classic. The guitar is SO toneful and so easy to play. I don't think I want to consider another guitar maker.

But considering other Andersons and a tone I have in mind: The tone of a the neck pickup from a vintage Les Paul Deluxe, the mini-humbucker. I used to own a 74 Deluxe and that neck and neck/bridge combination was just incredible; brighter than a regular neck PU; yet still very "Paulish", if you know what I mean.
What Anderson pickup/guitar combination would come closest to this vintage tone? A Cobra with a vintage output H something or other?

Wes

Marty S Horne
05-24-2004, 11:23 AM
How about a Cobra with mini humbuckers?

tom
05-24-2004, 12:12 PM
there you go. with a full size humbucker in the bridge, the sound of it split along with the mini in the neck gets you that both pickup sound as well. you still have the bigger full humbucker sound available too. add the middle mini, and you've got some pretty cool strat, but bigger, sounds as well.

westex
05-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by tom
there you go. with a full size humbucker in the bridge, the sound of it split along with the mini in the neck gets you that both pickup sound as well. you still have the bigger full humbucker sound available too. add the middle mini, and you've got some pretty cool strat, but bigger, sounds as well.

I have big hands - would it make a big difference if you put that combination in a 25 1/2 scale guitar - Hollow T or Drop Top T? Would a certain wood take up some of the slack?

Thanks.

Wes

tom
05-24-2004, 05:19 PM
have you played a cobra, and did you feel crowded on it. i ask, because there's lots of stuff going on as a result of the scale and wood combination that are hard to articulate verbally. let me know and we'll go further.

westex
05-25-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by tom
have you played a cobra, and did you feel crowded on it. i ask, because there's lots of stuff going on as a result of the scale and wood combination that are hard to articulate verbally. let me know and we'll go further.

I played a Cobra, but it was quite some time ago and don't really have easy access around here (Houston). Actually I don't remember it being too crowded, and it should be better than say your usual Les Paul because of the 1 11/16 width on the Cobra and what I beleive is thinner on the Paul (?). I WAS crowded on my old Les Paul compared to a typical Strat. If the store in Austin has one I could go there sometime I suppose. I am just very accustomed to a strat style necks. I will think about it and play one if I get the chance. Thanks.

Wes

Stan Malinowski
05-25-2004, 07:48 AM
I beleive is thinner on the Paul (?).

Les Pauls are 1 11/16" nuts just like the Cobra. Most Strats are narrower than 1 11/16", typically 1 5/8" or 1 21/32". It seems strange that the wider nut gives you the impression of being "crowded". Could it be the longer scale length on the Strat type guitars (25.5" versus 24.75" for the LP/Cobra) that makes you feel less crowded on the fretboard?

tom
05-25-2004, 10:17 AM
the other thing to consider is that the les paul has binding on the neck so the actual playing surface is wider on our 1 11/16" neck. un les you get the paul refretted and have the frets layed over the binding.