PDA

View Full Version : TAG Pickup Question

gibson5413
03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Is there anywhere I can find the specs on each pickup (output rating, etc)? Trying to get a better understanding for how Anderson pickups match up to other brands in regards to specs. I have a custom Drop Top being built (which I can't wait for) and have ordered the HN3+ as the bridge pickup. I read about how hot that pickup is but would like to compare it to other pickups on the market for a frame of reference. My guitar was built for speed but don't want to sacrifice my tone just to have a "hot" pickup. I want it to really scream but retain thickness and balance across the EQ spectrum. Thanks!

pipedwho
03-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Not sure what you mean about thickness and balance, but the HN pickups are mid emphasised to maximise the ability of the pickup to 'cut' through the mix without muddying up. It is true that these things are hot, but at the same time they are quite articulate when turned down.

The H3 is what I'd call a 'balanced' pickup. Lots of lows, lots of highs, without the boosted mids. A nice pickup, but some "EQless" amps can flub out when driven with such a wide bandwidth pickup. The HN3 in my Drop Top sounds great with maybe a touch less bass and treble, but with a lot more mids. The HN3 has the characteristics of a 'really loud PAF' with a harder, more modern top end. IMO, the H3 cleans up much better than the HN3, but then I like very acoustic sounding cleans.

From what I hear, the output level of the HN3+ is so huge that just strumming the guitar acoustically (with the amp turned off) will cause the lights in the room to dim. ;)

Ok, not really, but that doesn't stop me apologising to the V1 valve in my amp every time I plug in the guitar. :D

gibson5413
03-25-2010, 08:27 PM
My two main guitars have the following:

- Music Man Petrucci with Dimarzio Steve's Special in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck

- Schecter with EMG 81 in bridge and EMG 85 in the neck

I will be playing my guitars through a Mike Fortin modded Marshall JCM 800. I also play a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. I like hotter pickups but want to make sure that the pickup has tight low end with balanced mids and treble. My Drop Top will be mahogany body with maple top and a chocolate maple neck. Which pickup set would be similar to or a good in between pickup set for what I already play?

Thanks for the information so far!!

tom
03-25-2010, 09:34 PM
when most people say tight bass and high output, the hn3+usually fits nice. it's pretty easy for bass to get out of control when you start getting hot and high gain.

gibson5413
03-25-2010, 11:51 PM
when most people say tight bass and high output, the hn3+usually fits nice. it's pretty easy for bass to get out of control when you start getting hot and high gain.

Thanks Tom! That is great how you help us out. I really appreciate the help so far. Great forum!!

markus
03-26-2010, 12:10 AM
The HN3+ is a fantastic pickup for high gain applications!!!

Tommy M
03-27-2010, 09:36 AM
getting ready to order my drop top classic, just need to make a few more decisions. I would like to see the rest of the specs on any guitars with hn3+ or hn3 that you guys have, or have on order. Thanks

markus
03-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Here's you go. As you can see, I like the HN3+ quite a bit... :D :D :D

And if you're interested in some sound samples:
http://www.reverbnation.com/untiedtrio The Classic (12-09-08S) was the main workhorse in the studio, so that's what you hear in most of the songs. The tune "Long way down" gives you a good idea of the cleans you can get out of the SFs.
Rig was a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster with a TC Electronic G-Major in the FX loop and an oversized 4x12 recto cab.

Model - Classic (05-26-07A)
Body Finish - Candy Apple Red
Body Wood - Alder
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple, Rosewood Fretboard
Neck Finish - Black Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Medium
Back Shape - Even Taper Oversized .030 inch
Hardware - Black
Bridge - Sunken Floyd Rose
Pickguard - Black
Pickups - SA2R SA2 HN3+ (meanwhile changed to HC1 HC3)
Switching - 5 Way, Pull Adds Bridge w Vintage Voicing
Strings - .010-.046 Elixir strings
Comments - BFTS

Model - Pro Am (01-08-08N)
Body Finish - Graphic in Memory of Keith
Body Wood - Alder
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Medium
Hardware - Black
Pickguard -
Pickups - SA2R SA2 HN3+
Switching - 5 Way, Pull Adds Bridge
Comments - BFTS

Model - Drop Top (06-24-08N)
Body Finish - Jack's Blue Burst with Binding
Body Wood - Quilted Maple Top on Mahogany
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Medium
Hardware - Chrome
Pickguard -
Pickups - SF2R SF2 HN3+
Switching - 5 Way, Pull Adds Bridge w Vintage Voicing
Comments - BFTS

Model - Classic (12-09-08S)
Body Finish - Bora Bora to T Blue Burst
Body Wood - Alder
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Medium
Hardware - Black
Pickguard - Black
Pickups - SF2R SF2 HN3+
Switching - 5 Way, Splitter, VA Booster, Pull Adds Bridge
Comments - BFTS

Tommy M
03-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks Markus, great collection,band sounds great too. How would you compare sa's to sf's and did you go with 2's and not the 1's because output was better paired with hn3+?

markus
03-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks Tommy. Glad you like the band. :cool:

Yes, I did go with the SF/SA2 to match the high output of the HN3+. Works well for me, even though I don't have any comparison to how it would be with SF/SA1

As for the difference between the SFs and the SAs, I'd say the SFs are more single coil sounding with a bit more top end than the SAs. However, they're not designed to be slit, whereas the SA can be split. They're both great sounding pickups.

One thing I definitely recommend is the VA booster. That's a must-have device in my mind, no matter what pickup combo you choose.

Tommy M
03-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I agree about the va boost, but i thought sf's wear splitable cause they are stacked

markus
03-27-2010, 03:54 PM
Sure, you can wire them so they'll split, but it won't sound very good as they'll be way too bright from what I understand.

gibson5413
03-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Those clips sound great and right up my alley. Thanks!

markus
03-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Thanks! :cool:
Interestingly enough, I also played a Musicman JP6 before I got into Andersons. Great sounding guitars, but I didn't care for the neck at all after a while. Too wide and thin and the 15" radius really created problems for me.

gibson5413
03-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Thanks! :cool:
Interestingly enough, I also played a Musicman JP6 before I got into Andersons. Great sounding guitars, but I didn't care for the neck at all after a while. Too wide and thin and the 15" radius really created problems for me.

I actually really like the neck on the JP6. My motivation has been that I want a shredder type guitar that is my own "custom" model. I guess I am tired of playing musician's signatures. Being 38 years old and playing guitar for 25 years of it I deserve to have my own signature guitar. I looked for a long time and decided to go with Anderson. I love the product for its complex simplicity (if that makes sense). I can't wait and believe I have created a guitar I will be very happy about.

Tommy M
03-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Gibson, what are the specs for your new drop top?

markus
03-28-2010, 02:13 AM
I actually really like the neck on the JP6. My motivation has been that I want a shredder type guitar that is my own "custom" model. I guess I am tired of playing musician's signatures. Being 38 years old and playing guitar for 25 years of it I deserve to have my own signature guitar. I looked for a long time and decided to go with Anderson. I love the product for its complex simplicity (if that makes sense). I can't wait and believe I have created a guitar I will be very happy about.

Well... that's pretty much how I thought about the whole thing when I ordered my first Anderson in 2007... I was 33 then though. :p
And now... look what happened to me! Anderson #6 and #7 on order for June. You'll see what I mean when you get yours. Nothing really compares to an Anderson. You better start saving! :D :D

gibson5413
03-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Gibson, what are the specs for your new drop top?

Here is what I ordered:

Drop Top in Burnished Orange Burst with binding
Quilt maple on top on mahogany
Chocolate maple neck
Natural Gloss Headstock and natural satin neckback
Even-taper neck
1 11/16 with R2 locking nut
Jumbo frets
recessed Floyd Rose bridge
chrome hardware
HN3+ in bridge and H1- in neck

I am super excited and can't wait for this hot rod to arrive.

Well... that's pretty much how I thought about the whole thing when I ordered my first Anderson in 2007... I was 33 then though. :p
And now... look what happened to me! Anderson #6 and #7 on order for June. You'll see what I mean when you get yours. Nothing really compares to an Anderson. You better start saving! :D :D

I fear that is the direction I am heading in. I am thinking either a Cobra or a Classic strat style. Too many choices not enough time!!:)

markus
03-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Man, that sounds really sweet!!! Chocolate maple neck! Yum! :)
I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of this beauty!!!

Tommy M
03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Sounds awesome, looking foward to pictures too