PDA

View Full Version : Best Amp for Acoustic Crowdster

Devin
05-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Guys (and Gals),

For most of what I do (church praise team), I have been using an acoustic guitar (an Ibanez AGE10, and more recently a Taylor 314CE-L1) straight through a DI box and into the PA mix. I have a small powered monitor that I use on a mic stand that comes out of the DI out so I can hear myself, but the monitor is basically pretty lame, and sounds bad...

We did an outdoor gig a few weeks ago and I was using a CARVIN acoustic amp as a monitor and it sounded much better than the little monitor I usually use inside, still my Taylor was being sent through the PA for the audience to hear in the mix. The amp sounded good as a monitor, but it was not mine.

I sometimes do more intimate services - like last night. Me on the Taylor, a piano and a vocalist. No PA is available in these situations.

Here is my question: I need an amp that sounds great with my Taylor and Crowdster. I would like to use this amp as a monitor during our usual high volume services where I go into the PA for volume (a direct out would be nice), as well as intimate gigs, where this would be the sole souce of amplification. It would be nice if it could take a mic in on the second channel so I could get some vocals through it for smaller venue stuff...

Under $1000 would be nice. About $500 would be better. Light and easy to transport would be a great benifit. Is there such an animal? I have seen recommendations on other forums, but since I am waiting for my Crowdster to arrive, and hope that this will be my primary "live" guitar, the opinions of those on the AGF is important in my desision.

RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE....

Thanks a bunch,

- Devin

Devin
05-23-2004, 07:05 PM
I just read the thread "For Crowdster Players", and there is nothing new for me there... That is how I usually will play, through a DI box, into the PA direct.

But I need an amp sometimes. I do not always have a PA for the smaller stuff (and may use my Taylor in these situations anyway)... So - I still need an amp with a couple channels and a balanced xlr input and output... Lugging a PA and separate speakers would be a drag...

Thanks for your input...

- Devin

Scott Peterson
05-23-2004, 11:03 PM
I recently sold my SWR California Blonde for the new Fishman Loudbox - which is right around the $500 level - and this amp is a wonderful no-frills acoustic amp.

Very clear, very unhyped, very true sounding. Very loud - massive headroom. Ingenious kickstand in the back allows you to tilt it a little or a lot depending on your situation. I *really* am happy with this amp.

I have used it with my piezo loaded guitars - acoustics from Tacoma and my Line 6 Variax; it works fantastically with all.

For the price I could not name one other amp that sounds as good.

Negatives? Isn't fancy, has one input and is heavy for its small size.

I highly recommend this amp. Very highly.

Devin
05-23-2004, 11:21 PM
I have looked at the Fishman, and have heard good things about it, and it is in my price range... But I really need a bit more. I need to do some vocals too when I am not in a situation where there is a PA. So more than one channel is a must. Maybe the California Blonde would be a better choice for me... I am looking at one on ebay... It is kinda pricey and heavy too...

Thanks...

Anyone one else have other suggestions?

- Devin

getgo
05-23-2004, 11:53 PM
Before I settled on my current rig for my Crowdy which is,
Crowdy into pendulum SPS-1 which sends a balanced out to the house PA and a monitor out into my Mackie 808S that powers two EV SX-300 monitors. I know this sounds like a huge rig but I can ALWAYS hear myself and I can also run my vocal through this rig and control my stage level from where I stand.

Before I put this all together I was using a Fender Acoustisonic Jr which sounds great with the Crowdy and also has a seperate channel for a vocal mic. I thought it sounded better than the Fishy Loudbox too! I will be selling the Fender soon as I don't need it anymore. Try one out if you can find one locally, I a/b'ed the new DSP one against the old version and the new one has improved speakers and seemed to have more punch.

GASMAN
05-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Check out the acoustic amps from Genz Benz. I've been using the Shannandoah 85 watt (the newer version is 100 watts) for my acoustic and my piezo from my electric. Works great. Also has the XLR in's and out's you're after. Get the extension cab and there you go--------sing and play through it.

MDWood
05-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Hello Devin,

I too play in a P&W band and can certainly understand your quest. The acoustic and "drive" guitar amp sounds are amp exclusive and yet very important dynamics in worship. We have four individual bands in our church and one orchestra. Often, each team will have an acoustic and a lead guitarist (separate amp stations for each). In many instances, one guitarist is asked to provide both sounds on the fly. In such instances, I have had to rely heavily on electric guitars with magnetic and piezo pickups. I have three such guitars: Godin LGX SA, Parker Fly Classic, and Tom Anderson HDT (the TAG is my favorite). I route each signal through separate amps (separate volume pedals and effects loops). The magnetics go to one of several tube amps--depending on the song selection for that Sunday. The piezo/transducer signal is routed through a Marshall Acoustic amp (sometimes I will use an Yamaha AG Stompbox to add some fullness and tone colors when needed). In the past, I have played a number of acoustic amps (Roland, Fender, Crate, Rivera, and others). For the money ($375), I have been pleasantly surprised with the Marshall acoustic. It is a 50 watt, solid state, two-channel (instrument + vocal mic/auxiliary), phase switch, notch filter, parallel effects loop, line out and a nice DI out, chorus and reverb (both channels), 2x8 inch speakers with piezo horn. It weighs 31 lbs. It is very transparent and rugged. It also has the guts to handle some significant drive sounds from magnetic pickups if/when needed with guts (long after other acoustic amp speakers will get that "fried" sound when subjected to similar pressure). This has also been an excellent amp to take on mission trips (compact and definitely multiple purpose).

Anyway, good luck in your search and I hope you find what you are looking for.

Mark

Devin
05-25-2004, 12:27 AM
MDWood,

You mentioned that the Marshall has a nice DI out. Is that a balanced XLR out, so I can go straight into the PA with the sound I am creating (effects, etc) with the amp? I looked on the Marshall site and did not see that info there.

Thanks, Devin

-CM-
05-25-2004, 10:29 AM
What about the Carvon AG-100? It gets good reviews, and you're already familiar with how it performs. Sounds like it meets all your requirements.

MDWood
05-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Hello Devin,

The Marshall acoustic DI accepts a standard guitar cable that I run into a direct box and then to the sound board of our church PA system.

Mark

Devin
05-25-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks for your input!

I was posting on the Acoustic Guitar Forum too, kinda had similar threads going and got some good information from both forums.

Mark,

The Marshall, as it is sold now at least, does have the XLR balanced out, and that was something I wanted. It is also a great deal, and has some great reviews around the net.

I BOUGHT ONE TODAY!

Again thanks for your advice and information...

I will post again once I get it, and have a chance to plug the Taylor and Crowdy into it. I play live at least once a week (Saturday night worship services), and have some gigs coming up too, so I am looking forward to putting it through its paces.

I will give you all my review here...

- Devin

SteveK
05-31-2004, 11:05 AM
Just got back from GC's big Memorial Day sale. Picked up a SWR Strawberry Blonde to put my Crowdster through, sounds great. Price....$200 brand new!!! :eek: :D It was the only one they had too!

Devin
05-31-2004, 06:53 PM
Great price on the SWR SB amp! I would have bought it too for that price! Good find brother! :cool:

- Devin