PDA

View Full Version : difference between cobra and pro am model?

monterosso
03-02-2010, 10:00 PM
what would be the main difference in terms of tone between cobra and pro am model? Let's say i would get cobra which is made of alder with same pickups as pro am, will difference in scale lenght make difference in tone?

csd
03-02-2010, 10:02 PM
aren't all cobra's mahogany bodies?

pipedwho
03-03-2010, 12:30 AM
A Cobra with an Alder body is moving in on Short T territory. If you search the board for descriptions of the Short T, you'll find some good info. There was also a good description of the Short T that Roy put together for a GOTW (I can't remember which week it was, but it was in the last 6 months).

Pietro
03-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Cobras don't have an alder option.

I think Tom created the Short T to address stuff like that, but neither that nor the Pro Am is available, afaik, with a mahogany neck.

tom
03-03-2010, 11:10 AM
all of above is true. i have made a few guitars like you're describing and it just muddied the waters between the other choices so we decided not to offer that.
i guess my question would be what do you want it to do differently and why do you think alder is the answer to that? i ask because sometimes it's a matter of cosmetics and sometimes people have particular tones in mind. there aren't too many things we say never about if the argument is good enough. but forget about the painted headstock on a maple neck:D

markus
03-03-2010, 11:15 AM
...but forget about the painted headstock on a maple neck:D

Ha ha ha!!! Way to go, Tom!!! :D :D :D

Jimmy-Sekshun8
03-04-2010, 06:35 AM
what would be the main difference in terms of tone between cobra and pro am model? Let's say i would get cobra which is made of alder with same pickups as pro am, will difference in scale lenght make difference in tone?

Please allow me to offer my thoughts. I have 2 Cobras and one Drop Top. All of them are amazing guitars. The Pro-Am, to the best of my knowledge is a 25 1/2" scale, like it's cousin the Drop Top. The Cobra is a 24 3/4" scale. The shorter scale has a more focused tone, very aggressive in the midrage frequency spectrum. Cobras are offered in mahogany only further focusing the tone. The Pro Am/Drop Top is more "Superstrat-ish" in its tone. I love both models for what they do and how they sound.

Both of my Cobras have an H3 in the bridge. My baritone tuned guitar (C, F, Bb, Eb, G, C) has an H1 in the neck. My "super cobra" as I've tagged it has an H3 in the bridge and an M1 (miniature humbuckers) in the middle and neck as well as a boost switch. I have REALLY become a fan of the M's more so than I thought I would as they work VERY well for diversifying the tones I can get in hard rock as well as functioning well for jazz applications.

Hope this helps a little.

markus
03-04-2010, 10:51 AM
WHAT? :eek: You want to offer your thoughts on things? What do you think this is Jimmy... a FORUM??? :D :D :D

Just messin with ya... hope all is well with you and Sekshun8. Still waiting for that Bay Area show though! :(

Jimmy-Sekshun8
03-09-2010, 08:26 PM
WHAT? :eek: You want to offer your thoughts on things? What do you think this is Jimmy... a FORUM??? :D :D :D

Just messin with ya... hope all is well with you and Sekshun8. Still waiting for that Bay Area show though! :(

We are doing well. We are opening for Saliva in May. It's going to take some demand for us to travel from the east coast to the west coast, so it may take some time. We are making some headway however.