PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Guitars & Dr Z Amps

tunacaster
05-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Recently got a Dr Z, Z-28 1-12 Celestion Greenback combo and finally got the chance to play my Anderson Hollow Classic through it and... whoa man what a tone. My Fender Strat sounded ok, but man those Anderson single coils sound so cool. Nice breakup, but clear. Also, finally able to post on this site and wanted to thank Roy for helping me with ordering my guitar, you guys know how to please, fantastic job.

Tommy

Scott Peterson
05-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Killer pic - great looking rig!

andersonguy
05-18-2004, 12:30 AM
Very sweet combination!:)

tunacaster
05-18-2004, 05:21 AM
Thank you very much

Wbb
05-18-2004, 06:36 AM
Hey Tommy,

Bill here...very nice rig! Your collection continues to improve, wish I could keep up. But yes, Anderson + Dr Z is hard to top.

I tried a Bad Cat yesterday at RMC (with two EL 34's), GREAT sounding and responsive amp, definitely on my wish list. Try it out when you can and let me know what you think. I'd really like to A-B it with a Maz Sr 112.

Stan Malinowski
05-18-2004, 06:41 AM
I have a Dr Z Maz 18 Jr (Non-Reverb) in my amp arsenal and it is truely a great amp, especially with an Anderson plugged into it! For a non-reverb amp the depth of the amp is unbelievable.

Nice combo Tunacaster!

pluto
05-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Nice pic! I agree-the anderson classic or hollow classic with a Z amp is truly a great match. My old hollow classic into my old Maz 18 with reverb was an unbelievable combination!

tunacaster
05-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys for all of your kind words.

Bill, collection is improved, but not increasing, wish my playing was improving. Nice job of playing at the Beef & Music Festival. That Hollow T along with your MAZ 18 was really nice, great tone

dannopelli
05-19-2004, 01:55 AM
Hey T! Nice rig! I like the finish on the Andy!

Casper
05-19-2004, 05:44 AM
Hey Tommy,
Shaun here, what an awesome rig, I'm quite jealous.
I have a 96 transblonde swamp ash classic that looks like yours, but with SD pickups! I would love to get my hands on that DRZ!
Dave and Kip keep trying to get me into one....but clam up when I tell 'em I would have to trade in my Peaveys;)
Congratulations!
Shaun

dannopelli
05-19-2004, 10:30 AM
I would have a hard time gigging regularly with that amp. Just too pretty. Maybe one with just the plain tolex finish, so my heart would not break if it scratched.

I know all those gig marks add character. You know, like the drink circles all over the top of my Boogie! But I could not do that to an amp that pretty!

BTW if you can, catch CMT's Crossroads. Brad Paisley is using a few DrZ's. Nice tone!

Wbb
05-19-2004, 11:20 AM
When I first met Tommy (Tunacaster) a year ago, it was right in the middle of a gig. I noticed this guy standing right off to the side looking at my rig and grinning ear to ear. It's rare that anyone in the audience knows what an Anderson and Dr Z are, so I didn't know what to make of this.

Then at the song's conclusion ,Tommy walks right up and starts giving me big props on my gear. I was very flattered to finally have someone ID some good equipment I'd spent all this money on!

Now look who has all the killer gear!

dannopelli
05-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Yeah the Tuna is a great guy!

tunacaster
05-20-2004, 05:36 AM
Thank you all for the comments. It has been really cool to meet all of you, good guys in my book. I don't gig out (except at church) and so hopefully they won't get beat up. The guitar is a trans blonde with SA pickups and a piezo. By the way, the piezo sounds very good. Dave Thomas over at Richmond Music helped me assemble that together. He's a good guy, just gotta watchout, cause he's a good saleman too! Dan, thanks for your help, could not have gotten the Z w/o you bro! Bill, your playing made me want an Anderson and a Z amp!

Wbb
05-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Tommy: You *did* keep your Maz Jr right? How does it compare with the Z-28?

tunacaster
05-22-2004, 05:26 AM
Bill, I still have the MAZ 18. As far as difference in the two, the Z-28 is darker, thicker sounding amp. I wanted a Tweed Deluxe sound and this is what Dr Z recommended. He told me that the using a 12" Celestion Greenback in this amp reminded him of the tweed deluxe and the early 60's brown face Deluxe. Also, I really don't miss the reverb. The other cool thing about this amp is the tone controls effect the gain. I have read on the Gear Page some guys dime the tone controls and turn the volume up to wherever. I have not tried that setting. I use the Z-Airbrake and really like the tone out of this baby. The MAZ to me is alot brighter and more in your face (maybe the 10's have something to do with this?) You are more than welcome to A/B the Z-28 to your amp anytime. Take care

BrownDog
05-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Anderson guitars and Dr. Z amps make a nice combo (pun intended).

I've been playing a KT45 for over 2 years now (through a 212 ZBest cab for gigs and a Bogner Cube, Vintage 30, for practice) and find that all switching positions (all gazillion of them!) of my Hollow T sound fantastic. (I've replaced the ss rectifier with a tube one and rebiased the amp.)

I really like the simplicity of the KT45 controls - just three: bass, treble, volume. I set the treble at 3 o'clock and the bass around 1:30 - volume is somewhere between 1-2:30. I have tried the bass and treble dimed - for practicing alone it's OK; but when playing with the band the sound is too compressed for my personal tastes.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike.

tunacaster
05-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Brown Dog, I see you are from Olathe, KS. I've got a friend here in Richmond, VA whose grandfather lives there. Pretty cool. Boy always raves about Kansas. Sorry I can't remember his grandpas last name, small town from what I remember him saying

BrownDog
05-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Olathe is about 12 miles south of downtown Kansas City. It used to be a small town, but over the last 15 years it has really grown - I believe that it is the fastest growing city in Kansas.

Kansas City is a fabulous city - small but yet big enough for me!

With tone and oneness, Mike