PDA

View Full Version : Buldog vs Greeny

Big Harry
01-17-2010, 04:37 AM
OK ,here we are finally !
A long time a ago I am on the market to by a LP guitar .
Never owned one ,but used to play quite a few , and spend almost six months with one borrowed , black ,LP custom , back in 1978 .....
All of LP's I've tried were too heavy and unbalanced , neck was to thick , frets too skinny , in very rare occasion in tune .....you name it ...
But ,even so , LP was a LP , having that mystical magic ,and make me sometime to feel like a guitar hero , producing tones and sounds that no any other guitar could do on such a way . Shortly , nothing can beat LP sometimes...
Anyway , I was/am/will be Fender guy , but all the time watching at Gibson with one eye ;) ...
Then , Gary Moore popped in with his (Peter Green's) '59 LP with that famous , by mistake reverse winded neck pick up ,establishing a new limits in guitar tone.
That was a sound . Greeny has one of the best guitar tone ever .
Another Gary's guitar ,'58 LP is selling for almost $ 250.000,00 or something on ebay these days .
You can imagine , if I want a "really " LP , which is playable ,with great tone and in tune , should I spend $ 300.000, 00 ????

So ,for my question is maybe still too early ,but I will take my chance and ask Tom :
is there any chance you can make a Buldog to sound close to Greeny , if you know what I mean , and I know that you know what I mean :D :)
I need just two distinctive tones : one is that famous Peter Green's reverb clean blues tone (Gary's album : Blues for Greeny) , another is that famous Gary Moore liquid lead tone ( a bunch of his famous solos)

Please tell me you can make it , you will save me $300.000,00 :eek: :D :)
Thanks ,
Zoran
ps
sorry for the long post ,that was stronger than me

pluto
01-17-2010, 04:54 AM
I haven't played a bulldog, but I'm of the opinion that nothing sounds like a LP but a LP, so if you want to have Gary Moore's LP tone, just get a LP. I hear what you say though about LPs (although I don't think they're too bad-I do have to tune them up but it's not like I have to tune all the time), and my biggest gripe is their weight. My lightest LP is a R9 which is about 8.5 pounds, and the older I'm getting, the harder it is for me to play even that guitar.

Big Harry
01-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the insights Pluto .
Sorry if you hear only "bad" things I wrote about LP's .
This might be more important ,that's why I want it :
But ,even so , LP was a LP , having that mystical magic ,and make me sometime to feel like a guitar hero , producing tones and sounds that no any other guitar could do on such a way . Shortly , nothing can beat LP sometimes

dankayaker
01-17-2010, 05:47 AM
If you love the LP tone get a Historic, then send it to Phil Jacoby (Philtone) and he'll PLek it, cut a new nut, do the bridge pins mod and put a tone pros bridge on it . . . . . .problem free LP.

tom
01-17-2010, 10:23 AM
if the lp is magic then that's what you should buy. i believe there's more magic ingary's hands than in his guitar. i believe there is a place for a guitar that has much of the character but not all the warts.

dankayaker
01-17-2010, 01:18 PM
if the lp is magic then that's what you should buy. i believe there's more magic ingary's hands than in his guitar. i believe there is a place for a guitar that has much of the character but not all the warts.

I like that Tom "as much of the character but not all the warts". You'll sell a ton of these I'm betting.

pluto
01-17-2010, 01:22 PM
speaking of LP character, will the bulldog (like the atom ct) only have the lightly figured maple (eastern maple? Michigan maple?) like the LPs? Also, what is the body thickness in comparison to a LP??

pluto
01-17-2010, 01:26 PM
If you love the LP tone get a Historic, then send it to Phil Jacoby (Philtone) and he'll PLek it, cut a new nut, do the bridge pins mod and put a tone pros bridge on it . . . . . .problem free LP.

thanks for the reference to him-sounds like a good guy to go for LP repairs (just checked out his website).

lairdy28
01-17-2010, 06:26 PM
Have a look at these , they are LP fades that have been modded for the Pete Green sound , might save you $2980000 ... which leaves plenty of change for more Andy's !

Good review on youtube here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56OwQ4qKdPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dUmIaAts4I&NR=1

Site:
http://www.cvguitars.com/index-1.html

Ray K.
01-17-2010, 09:41 PM
I owned a Gibson "Gary Moore" signature LP awhile ago. It's the only signature guitar I've ever owned. But as much as I love Gary's tones and chops, I didn't buy just for that reason. The reviews were over the top on this model and I found one in mint condition for a price that I could not pass up.

I loved it, but for the usual "warts" of an LP. Primarily the weight. I wound up trading it, along with another guitar for a Grosh. The Grosh I sold and use the funds to buy my first Anderson! I've never regretted it, though I do like the idea of the Bulldog from what little I know so far.

Ray K.

FFOGG
01-18-2010, 05:26 AM
I also owned a Gary Moore LP for 2 years and sold it to buy my first Anderson a Hollow T Classic ...best move I ever made ..The GM just never stayed in tune and never played in tune up the neck ...I have owned LP's over the years and they all suffered from that tuning and playabilty issues I have a Cloud 9 right now which I purchased 6 years ago which addresses the weight and tuning issues to a degree but not as well as My TAG's or PRS HB II .
I would sell my Cloud 9 and have thought about it numerous times but I know I would just begin the search for another LP ...visions of Jimmy Page running through my 50 year old brain .Not sure its mystique that draws players to the LP or simply youthful yearning .Enough pyscho analysis time to go work out :) :)

dankayaker
01-18-2010, 06:33 AM
thanks for the reference to him-sounds like a good guy to go for LP repairs (just checked out his website).

He jokes that Gibson Custom shop is paying for his kids college education.

tom
01-18-2010, 02:55 PM
as for dimensions, i intentionally did not even trace a real les paul. with all the legal crap going on these days, i just pulled the waist in and pulled the horn out from our atom and got the bulldog. going for the vibe, not necessarily exactness. there are plenty people trying to recreate all the details, that's not what i was after.
as for thickness, i can't say for sure because of the same reasons. the bulldog is 1.85" thick from back the top of the edge of the top with about the same rise in the carve. my guess is that overall it is about .06-.09" thinner than an lp.
woods. we are using both flat sawn eastern maple(like the old guitars were, and some quartered western flame which is usually a little fancier looking. the western works better for the stain colors. the honey burst at namm was eastern, the burnished orange was western.

pluto
01-18-2010, 07:13 PM
He jokes that Gibson Custom shop is paying for his kids college education.

LOL!! Gibson is also paying for his retirement too!

Big Harry
01-19-2010, 02:40 AM
Knowing about TAG's versatility and having play my brand new DT for a month or so , I thought maybe Buldog can produce LP Greeny sounds ,using specific wood /pick ups combination .

Also ,I thought I might be clear saying I want TAG who will sound as LP and Anderson in the same time , not a LP .

Anyway , I've got a feeling my question was one of those "wrong questions" .
If is that so ,sorry for that , still new on the site and in the TAG world.

Keep Rockin' ,:)
Zoran

FFOGG
01-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Tom : hate to ask but will you able to do a Hollow Bulldog ...weight is one of the most important issues for me ...

tom
01-19-2010, 11:00 AM
have not considered it yet. that would seem to undo what most people are after tone wise for this instrument.
both of these came in at 7.75 lbs and we intentionally did not use the absolutely lightest chunks in the house.

jeffpereira
01-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Tom,

I've got to ask......where did "Bulldog" come from?

tom
01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
it's a term used all over the world to conjure up toughness, ruggedness and in your face power. we thought that fit this guitar.

Mister T
01-20-2010, 05:16 AM
Have a look at these , they are LP fades that have been modded for the Pete Green sound , might save you $2980000 ... which leaves plenty of change for more Andy's !

Good review on youtube here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56OwQ4qKdPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dUmIaAts4I&NR=1

Site:
http://www.cvguitars.com/index-1.html

The Gary Moore tone is REALLY easy to cop. All one needs to do is flip the magnet on either pickup in a Les Paul and you are there. The winds are not reversed or anything. The pickups are magnetically out of phase on that guitar....easiest pickup mod anywhere. WCR will make you a set if you dont want to do pickup surgery yourself....Duncan and a couple other makers also do a 'green mod' on pickups.