PDA

View Full Version : Suhr's new import line

loonerman
01-14-2010, 07:02 AM
It looks like John Suhr is introducing an import line based on his Standard and Modern guitars. Here's a link. http://www.rasmusguitars.com/

USA set-up, PLEK, and USA Suhr pick-ups. $1332 msrp

Thoughts?

troykennedy
01-14-2010, 10:08 AM
I think it is a great idea to get younger players a quality instrument in their hands earlier than they normally would. Suhr is still doing the set up at their shop, which is a pretty big deal. Kudo's to John and company for continuing to grow and challenge the system. I love it!

thefunkyone
01-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Looks interesting.

Right now I consider the PRS SE import guitars to be about the best bang for the buck in the sub $1000 category. These Suhr imports have a MSRP of around $1300. They just might come in under $1000 for the actual selling price.

Trev57
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
I always admired and wanted a Suhr, but now I will take it off of my want list as I feel that whenever a manufacturer does this, it devalues the reputation of the real thing. I'll stick with my Anderson Drop Top and hope Tom never feels the need to go this route.

taclassic
01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
I will definitely go check one out as soon as one becomes available close to me.

markus
01-14-2010, 05:15 PM
I always admired and wanted a Suhr, but now I will take it off of my want list as I feel that whenever a manufacturer does this, it devalues the reputation of the real thing. I'll stick with my Anderson Drop Top and hope Tom never feels the need to go this route.

I somewhat agree with this. While I'm all for more good guitars at an affordable price, this kind of thing defeats the purpose of buying a Suhr for me.
But... it all doesn't matter in the end, as I'm a TAG player and not interested in Suhr guitars anyway! :D
Hope it works out well for them.

Stys
01-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I somewhat agree with this. While I'm all for more good guitars at an affordable price, this kind of thing defeats the purpose of buying a Sur for me.
But... it all doesn't matter in the end, as I'm a TAG player and not interested in Suhr guitars anyway! :D
Hope it works out well for them.

I also agree. When Breedlove introduced their Atlas line, I felt like my custom American made Breedlove just got cheaper in value. In the long run, having an import instrument will complicate things at the Suhr shop. So they set it up, big deal. Who's watching quality over seas? If Anderson, Grosh, Larivee, Tyler and other small builders can build in North America using American craftsman, Suhr certainly can. Perhaps my opinion is harsh but, I believe that instruments built in America are superior in quality.

Pietro
01-15-2010, 06:28 AM
I have a Wechter acoustic, and a few years after introducing his import line (also plekked and set up here), he shut down domestic production. Said he wanted to get good guitars into more hands, not just rich guys who don't even play that much. I can understand that. Because I wonder every time I see somebody selling an Anderson or Suhr who says "dead mint, barely played" if they don't do a facepalm and say "I MADE THAT GUITAR SO YOU WOULD PLAY IT!"

I don't see John Suhr going that way, but I hope it's not a trend.

And Tom... don't even think about it...

As for me, I'm set on guitars for now, and would love to say I'd never buy an import, but I'd consider those.

tom
01-15-2010, 10:20 AM
i've said this before, but i'll say it again. i enjoy making guitars more that selling guitars. that's why we have stayed the same size for more than a decade. i got into this because i wanted to make great guitars. doing the import line wouldn't be fun for me. there are plenty people who enjoy the idea of growing a company and making more money, neither of which is evil or bad, just not what i want to spend my days doing.

markus
01-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Right on, Tom!
And congrats on the launch of the new Bulldog! She's a beauty!!! Can't wait to see and play one. :cool:

Mister T
01-20-2010, 10:11 AM
i've said this before, but i'll say it again. i enjoy making guitars more that selling guitars. that's why we have stayed the same size for more than a decade. i got into this because i wanted to make great guitars. doing the import line wouldn't be fun for me. there are plenty people who enjoy the idea of growing a company and making more money, neither of which is evil or bad, just not what i want to spend my days doing.

This is exactly why I have so much loyalty to your guitars Tom.

dannopelli
01-20-2010, 10:43 PM
... neither of which is evil or bad, just not what i want to spend my days doing...

That one statement says volumes.