PDA

View Full Version : What P/Us are Standard in a Hollow Cobra S?

Joel
05-16-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm just trying to find out which pickups I have in my guitar. I just put new strings on and don't want to waste a set checking so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks,
Joel

killerburst
05-16-2004, 05:12 PM
All TAG's are made to order, so it depends on what the original purchaser asked for. You can find out by doing a serial number search at www.andersonguitars.com. Click on the serial number search and enter the numbers/letters engraved on your neck plate. All the original specs for your guitar will be listed.

Joel
05-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Thanks - I forgot about that little reference library Tom is so kind to keep.

pluto
05-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Hi Joel, don't bother searching-I swapped out the pickups and put in duncan customs before I sent the guitar to you. Just joking of course-HO2 and H01- were in that guitar. I chose those pickups because I wanted a more mellow guitar. I think those pickups are a little too clean for your tastes-you might try something with a little more output.

Joel
05-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Yeah I'm going to try something hotter. H1+ in the neck and H3 in the bridge. Or maybe I'll just throw some EMGs in it :D

pluto
05-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Joel
Yeah I'm going to try something hotter. H1+ in the neck and H3 in the bridge. Or maybe I'll just throw some EMGs in it :D

EMGs??? Cool:D . Seriously though, I don't know if I'd put a H1+ and H3 on that guitar. Might be a little too hot for a short scaled hollow body. Might get a little mushy with a modern high gain amp. Did you ask Tom what he would recommend?

tom
05-18-2004, 06:10 PM
an H1 is plenty hot in the neck position. please tell me you're kidding about the emg's.

Joel
05-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Tom,

Yes I'm kidding. There's no way I'd throw those in one of your guitars.

Do you think the H1+ is too much for the neck position on a Hollow Cobra S? I was really trying to thicken up the sound some and get some more mids in there.

Joel

pluto
05-18-2004, 07:29 PM

Do you think the H1+ is too much for the neck position on a Hollow Cobra S? I was really trying to thicken up the sound some and get some more mids in there.

Joel

Joel, obviously I'm not Tom, but personally I would go for a h2+ at the most on the bridge and a H1- on the neck. Too hot on that guitar will IMO just muddy up the brilliant TA tone at high gain (and I know you're into that) with the hollow chambers.

Joel
05-18-2004, 07:37 PM
Hey Mark,

Actually it wasn't high gain that made me want to change the pickups. I was just playing clean and AB'd it with my mahogany Sportster and just really didn't hear the mids.

I think I'm just going to go hot and see what happens (unless Tom jumps in and says this will sound like crap). I found a used pair for $90 and could pick from an H1, H1+, H2 or H3 so it's not a huge loss if I don't like them.

Joel

nickdahl
05-27-2004, 02:43 PM
I have a H1- and a H3 in a Les Paul I own. I think they are a great combination. This might translate well to a Cobra.

Nick

pluto
06-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Joel, just wanted to find out which pickups you ended up with and how you like the different pickups.

Joel
06-02-2004, 09:38 PM
Mark,

They just arrived today so I haven't had a chance to install them. I ended up with an H1+ and an H3. I'd decided to with the H1 for the neck but he'd already sold it before I changed my mind. We'll see how these sound. Hopefully I'll have time for the swap this weekend.

Joel

pluto
06-03-2004, 12:04 PM
Mark,

They just arrived today so I haven't had a chance to install them. I ended up with an H1+ and an H3. I'd decided to with the H1 for the neck but he'd already sold it before I changed my mind. We'll see how these sound. Hopefully I'll have time for the swap this weekend.

Joel

cool. Let me know how you like the change.