PDA

View Full Version : calling all who experts

tom
12-28-2009, 08:39 PM
i recently heard what sounded like a remix or longer version of eminence front that was awesome. seemed funkier and grittier than the orig. anyone know what it might be from? i looked on itunes and they are all about the same length.

dannopelli
12-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Man that is a cool riff.

There is a version on Townshend's Scoop 3, that is kind of slower and bluesier. Could that be it? it is on iTunes.

tom
12-28-2009, 10:00 PM
will have to look, saw 4 on itunes from the who but all were about the same.

Casper
12-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Love that tune! I remember the video for that song. Daltrey and Townsend playing matching black Schecter Teles with maple necks..Tom, Did you build or have anything to do with those axes?

tom
12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
we made most of them in van nuys. there were a couple that were assembled in england by roger giffin who was doing work for chandlers, a schecter dealer at the time. alan rogan, who is also in that video came by the shop several times to pickup replacement necks and parts. somehow they got broken fairly often. i did get to meet pete at a show in chicago and he was charming with just a bit of a crazy look in his eyes.

sylvanshine
12-30-2009, 05:36 PM
There is a bonus unreleased live version on the It's Hard 1997 Remaster that got my head bobbing. Could it have been live?

tom
12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
i don't think it was live, but i heard it in the car and it was gone too soon to be very critical. i must say it really put me in another place while it was on. lots of great who memories.

Dr. Ellwood
12-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Tom, just a idea but, all radio stations keep a play log, time, selection played etc... if you can identify what time that song was played (or even close) the DJ or program director CAN find out for you.... I know because I've done it!!! good luck

Jimmy-Sekshun8
12-31-2009, 07:11 AM
You know it's funny. I heard this song the other day, and that is one of those songs, to me anyway, that makes me realize how over looked Townshend has been as a player. I particularly remember the video with the extended intro, Pete laying down some licks. They did the song as a soundcheck so that was interesting and it sounded amazing. But Pete really shows his stuff in that song in my opinion. I don't think he's received as much acclaim as he deserves. That guy can just out right play his booty off. :)

Pietro
12-31-2009, 01:59 PM
I learned to play guitar because I wanted to be Peter Townsend.

My earliest and biggest influence.

chriswhite
12-31-2009, 02:23 PM
I learned because my dad said "guitar or piano... pick one."
haha

Pietro
12-31-2009, 07:06 PM
I picked both, but enjoy guitar way more.

mdrs
12-31-2009, 10:47 PM

My earliest and biggest influence.

You too? I love Pete........brilliant man......playing, stage presence, tone chaser, as good a lyricist as has ever written a popular song...innovative, many "firsts" to his credit......need I say more??

After getting turned on to Anderson guitars, and living with a bunch for a couple of years, I wonder why Pete isn't playing one? Andy's have the clarity of tone that he always looked for in a big growly sort of way (if that makes any sense?? LOL).

As for that look in his eye, Tom, well, in that era Pete may well have been taking a bit more "medicine" than his doctor had recommended.

I met Pete right as "Tommy" was opening on Broadway, at the old Sam Ash on 48th street, when it was still a small dive. After we spoke, he grabbed a J-200 and went off. It was a great experience to have met him, and his eyes looked stone cold sober.