PDA

View Full Version : T Style Feel - Body Question

X - Road 28
11-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Great day everyone,

I'm getting ready to purchase my second TAG which will be a Short Hollow T Classic :D :D

I am wondering how much the lack of the back contour would play a part in comfort, maybe hard to explain what I'm trying to describe.

If any one has played both and would be able to give their opinions I would appreciate it, I guess I could just go to a GC and play both body styles from another company and see for myself - which I think I'll do.

Hope to have pic's up soon if the deal works out, I'm twitching with anticipation ;)

Ray K.
11-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey Gus,

I wondered the same thing when I recently bought my Hollow T Classic. It has no contours and I wondered how comfortable it would be. I'm used to a fully contoured and very comfortable Hollow Drop Top.

We'll I'll tell you, my mind is perfectly at ease, this is one comfortable guitar to wear and play for any length of time. The 6.1 lb weight is one factor I'm sure, but I also think the way TAG "rolls" the edges ever so slightly keeps them from "sticking to your ribs," if you know what I mean. ;)

The only caveat might be if you plan to record a lot with it, or for any other reason play it in a seated position. I still think it will be comfortable, but I haven't tried doing this for an extended period of time.

Can't wait to see the mandatory pics... :D

Good luck,
Ray K.

tom
11-19-2009, 04:55 PM
comfort is not the only factor when talking about contours. rear contours also tip the face of the guitar up. not tipping the face up is what always appealed to me about teles and les pauls. it may not matter to some, but it's something to consider.
i think the forearm contour is something more people have strong opinions about.

stevem7
11-19-2009, 09:57 PM
XRoad,

I wondered the same thing when I was spec'ing out my recently ordered Hollow T. At first I wanted no contours, thinking that when that shape has no contours and feels like a plank of timber, then that's what makes it a "T". And in essence, it does. I have a Fender Tele and when I strap that guitar on, I find that my left hand has to crank back in an unfriendly "carpal tunnel syndrome" kind of way when I fret chords. Also, I find myself leaning forward to see the fingerboard with that guitar as I'm playing. My Strat and my Andy Classic don't have these 2 issues because of the back contour. Tom's right on the "facing up" part. When the face of the instrument is angled upwards, my left wrist isn't cranked backwards and I can see the fingerboard dots easily, so I changed my mind and ordered it with the contours. I could have done without the front contour, but Roy told me that if the guitar has binding, that the edges would be sharper without the front contour which apparently some have complained is a little uncomfortable digging in their right forearm.

But of course there's the "coolness" factor of having a T-shape without contours, too, so there's that to consider. But then, I think that of the ashtray bridge with 3 saddles on an old Tele too, and that's a world away from a Feiten system.

Good luck on your decision...

X - Road 28
11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I did own a Fender Tele Deluxe years ago, with binding and you are correct, the binding was somewhat of a nag after a while.

I had to sell it because the binding would dig in just enough that it was not acceptable to me, not because I'm that picky but because I had a plate put in to set my Ulna bone after a bad break, it has since been removed but the area has always been tender.

For some reason the binding does not bother me on the CT Atom, and since my next Tag will be a HDT or HDTC I hope the front contour won't be an issue either.

Based on the comfort criteria I went with no contours, pic's on my NDG thread. I think she has qualities of both traditional and modern features and I think we will we bond.