PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Advice

chriswhite
11-17-2009, 07:36 PM
I just sold an amp and need to ship it half way across the country and have never shipped one before and was wondering you fine people could give some advice on the best way to ship and pack so that it arrives the safest for the guy who bought it from me.

Thanks
Chris

tom
11-17-2009, 08:10 PM
that's a heavy monkey, you'll need a strong box. if you don't have the original, you might want to hit up the boogie store or a dealer for one.

guitarzan
11-17-2009, 08:23 PM
my simple advice is to overpack it. And then pack it a little more. Your goal is to be able to hold the box over your head and throw it without damage to the contents. Crazy measuring stick, but it usually does the trick.

chriswhite
11-17-2009, 08:31 PM
should I remove the tubes and pack them separately and not leave them in the amp? And should the tubes go back in the same arrangement that they came out of (basically should I label them for the guy?)?

thanks again.

I'll call Mesa tomorrow to see if they can help me out with a box (seems fitting since I sold a Mesa)

Chris

Babow2
11-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Yes, you should definitely remove the power tubes. You don't want one breaking in the socket! Use masking tape to mark them 1, 2, 3, 4, and then put a strip of masking tape on the back to mark which socket is 1, 2, 3, 4. That way, the new owner can put the tubes back into their correct socket. Kinda "anal" but this is the gold standard for shippping amps. This is only the power tubes and rectifier tube we are talking about. Most people don't pull the preamp tubes. Wrap each tube well in bubble wrap separately. Then tape the tube coccoons to the inside of the cabinet, so they are secure and won't roll around. Try not to use styro peanuts for packing the amp. If you have to use any packing material that is small, or will shred, wrap the amp inside a large plastic garbage bag, so bits of packing material don't get inside the cabinet or the chassis. If you have an amp box with cardboard supports, that is ideal. Otherwise, pack the amp so that it is suspended inside the box, with packing material under it, on all sides and on top, so the amp does not touch the actual box. Make sure it is packed full and tight, so the amp doesn't move around inside the box. any foot pedals or accesories should also be taped inside the cabinet if possible or packed in a way to make darn sure that the amp doesn't crush them. I have shipped and received many an amp this way, mostly Mesas and Bogners. If you pack it right, it should be okay, barring a shipper snafu.
Good luck.

chriswhite
11-18-2009, 09:08 PM
thanks for all the advice. I shipped it out earlier today and I spoke with Mesa before shipping it and got some advice from them. They informed me that they ship all their amps with the tubes still in it. I left the tubes in and I did pack everything very carefully as well. It should be all good but i wont know until the guy gets it on Tuesday.