PDA

View Full Version : Progress on Headstock Adjustable Truss Rod?

Stan Malinowski
05-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Tom,

I know you were beginning to experiment with Classic/Drop Top necks which have the truss rod adjustment at the headstock. I'm starting to put together my next custom order for early next and was wondering if this option might be available by then. The guitar will have a traditional trem and not a Floyd.

tom
05-12-2004, 11:36 AM
we have gotten yeah's and nay's or is it neigh's, or is it neh's.. anyway, still have not made up our minds.

Gary F.
05-12-2004, 02:52 PM
If I can weigh in with my 2¢.. I chose an Anderson, not a vintage strat. In my opinion Andersons represent important improvements over the things that are 'wrong' with strats, vinatage or otherwise. A truss rod that is easily adjustable at the headstock would be a welcome improvement over the inelegant truss rod tweaking procedure on my DTC. A small hole in the headstock should only bother the most ardent vintage enthusiasts. Are they the bulk of Anderson's customers?

tom
05-12-2004, 04:20 PM
oddly enough it's not the hole, it's the missing skunk stripe and the concern that one piece sounds different than two piece.

Scott Peterson
05-12-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by tom
oddly enough it's not the hole, it's the missing skunk stripe and the concern that one piece sounds different than two piece.

Really? That is amazing. Would it really sound different? I find that somewhat hard to swallow; it might make a small difference, but really? The advantages of a headstock adjustable truss rod appeal to me FAR more than a skunk strip.

Just my opinion.

tom
05-13-2004, 10:30 AM
the skunk stripe is strictly a cosmetic issue. after reading this forum and talking to vast numbers of guitar players, one can never totally ignore cosmetic issues. we still get people asking for our old headstock because it looked more like fender. as for the sound difference, i do believe it could be different, but i suspect it will be teeny tiny, that's another of my technical terms, and it may not be a negative difference. we still have to make a few to see. we do have one coming up next week as a laminate, but with the normal adjustment. i'll keep you posted.

mbrown3
05-13-2004, 12:56 PM
I've said this before, but I'll chime in again with a STRONG vote for the adjustment at the headstock. For me, it's not an issue of "vintage-ness" or aesthetics, just simply function. All this talk about taking the necks off to adjust or hand-cranking some screwdriver like a lever is just nuts, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, folks can do it, and many can do it well...but that doesn't mean it's the best or most efficient solution. As others have said, if people want a vintage strat, they can buy a vintage strat. The reason most of us buy Anderson's over a vintage strat (or any other strat) is that there are lots of great improvements over strats. This, in my mind, would be one of them. Otherwise, there would be no reason (well, aside from excellent quality and great customer support) to buy an Anderson over a strat...but folks do, for a reason. Just my 2 cents...:)

JoeB63
05-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by mbrown3
The reason most of us buy Anderson's over a vintage strat (or any other strat) is that there are lots of great improvements over strats. This, in my mind, would be one of them.

Of course a neck that never moved would be an even bigger improvement.

tom
05-13-2004, 02:46 PM
i'd be interested in knowing how to make those.

sonsop
05-13-2004, 07:55 PM
Is this issue just splitting hairs?

Do you folks really tweak your truss rod that often?

If you stick to the same gauge strings and take reasonable steps to protect from extreme temperature changes is there a frequent need to adjust the truss rod?

Am I missing out?

Is it fun?

Should I do it more often?

Will I go blind?

Hugs,
JR

mbrown3
05-13-2004, 10:06 PM
For those of us who live in certain areas of the country (I'm in Philly) where the regular temperature changes are extreme, and who play out with their guitar regularly, this can become an issue. Granted, it's still not frequent, and Anderson's are probably the best guitars in the world for handling the different changes, but for those of us picky players, we still need to tweak to get things where we like them, and we KNOW when they go out (part of our anal retention problem)! ;)

Scott Peterson
05-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Here in south-eastern Michigan, we go from 20% humidity and highs in the teens for winter; to 100% humidity and highes in the 90's for summer.

My guitars are played out and gigged; they don't have the luxury of staying in my climate controlled home studio all year.

I average about 2x neck tweaks a year per instrument. PRS, Hamer, Anderson, Tacoma, you name it. Same thing.

If the humidity and temperature varies as much where you live as where I live, it is simply a fact of life.

mbrown3
05-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Yep, that's exactly what I mean...

Stan Malinowski
05-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Here in Connecticut (dry winters, humid summers) I've found the following to be true:

1) TR adjustment needed about 1 month after initial receipt of guitar
2) TR adjustements needed aboyt 2 times a year, typically January and July

Note that my house has central air (lower humidity in summer) and central heat w/humidifer (raises humidity in winter) and I still find I need a couple of neck tweaks a year.

andersonguy
05-14-2004, 09:38 AM
On the cosmetic issue, the skunk stripe could be an option. The truss rod adj really needs to be up top. I am pretty lucky and dont have to adjust mine often usually once after a year or so but its a nail bighter when I do. It shouldnt have to be like that. This is why, thankfully, Tom has wisdom to not offer birdseye maple necks, mine are like a rock.
Casting a heavy vote here for necktop adj on all TA's.
:D

AG

BFC
05-14-2004, 03:38 PM
My vote is for something entirely different, easier access. A larger route would do wonders from my experience. Perhaps a little wider and not so sloped down to the joint (as pretty as that looks). The few times I've mucked up that area making an adjustment usually ended up being that finished, sloped area right before the screw head.

Gary F.
05-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Tom, as Kermit the frog often said, "it isn't easy being green." I can see why these decisions are neither taken lightly nor easily made. One thing seems certain from this thread: those of us who must tweak our trussrods (girls, please don't misinterpret) would prefer to do it without wreaking havoc on our pickguards or finish. Good luck whatever you decide, it won't affect my loyalty to TAG.