PDA

View Full Version : Q? for Tom - re: Schecter Strat....

velcro-fly
05-12-2004, 10:49 AM
Hi Tom -

Besides the fact that the price is astronomical - is there anything you can tell me about this guitar? Was this something built when you were involved with them? Is it really "Charvel-ish" in feel?

Schecter Strat (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3722646194)

It aint no Anderson:D but then again.....

Regards,
Steve E

tom
05-12-2004, 11:38 AM
that's post '84 when i left. not american parts.

velcro-fly
05-12-2004, 11:52 AM
Thank you, Sir!

Regards,
Steve E

GASMAN
05-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Don't mean to steal a thread here, but I've got Schecter solid ash "tele" model that I bought used a few years ago and really like it. I've often wondered how to get some info on it------particularly what year it is. Serial no. 960121.
I've always wondered if Tom had something to do with this guitar. Has an Anderson feel. Pickups look to be Andersons (TD's or SA's). Headstock even looks close to an Anderson.
If Tom reads this-----maybe you could offer alittle info from that serial no. Thanks.

tom
05-14-2004, 01:08 AM
all the schecter's that were made when i was there had fender headstocks. we do make some of their pickups, but not all.

killerburst
05-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by GASMAN
Don't mean to steal a thread here, but I've got Schecter solid ash "tele" model that I bought used a few years ago and really like it. I've often wondered how to get some info on it------particularly what year it is. Serial no. 960121.
I've always wondered if Tom had something to do with this guitar. Has an Anderson feel. Pickups look to be Andersons (TD's or SA's). Headstock even looks close to an Anderson.
If Tom reads this-----maybe you could offer alittle info from that serial no. Thanks.

That's the 121st guitar made in 1996. If it is oil finished, it's an 'S' series PT. If it has a glossy finish, it is a Traditional series PT. List back then was $1295-1395 (depending on oil color) for the 'S', plus options (Floyd, Sperzels, Wilkinson, etc.) and case. The Traditionals started at $1695. Fantastic guitars for the money. In 1996 Sunset Custom Guitars morphed into the new Schecter Guitar Research company, owned by Mr. Shibuya, who also owns 48th St. Custom Guitars (now defunct), ESP Guitars and the Musician's Institute in LA. For the first 3 or 4 years, most of their guitars were handmade in LA in a very small shop. These were not assembly line or parts guitars- they were turning raw wood into bodies and necks right there in the shop (I was there). While they still offer USA-built custom guitars, they are much more interested in offering low-cost, high-volume, high-profit Korean guitars (the Diamond series) to the masses. Any Schecter with a neckplate that has the state of California stamped in it with the words "The Original California Custom Shop" and a serial number starting with 96-99 is going to be a great guitar and most likely a terrific bargain because not many people know how good they are.

killerburst
05-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Speak of the devil... if any of you happen to be lefty, this guitar is a steal (unless there is some fatal flaw that is undisclosed-caveat emptor).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=3723298737&rd=1

killerburst
05-14-2004, 11:47 AM
This guitar's starting bid is $99 less than the new Mexican-made Fender "light" ash Tele. If anybody is looking for a straight up tele, this is the one to get.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=3723416746&rd=1

GASMAN
05-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Killerburst----------Wow! Thanks for all the info. I've been wondering ever since I got this thing what the story was on it. I got it used at Willies Guitars in St. Paul (I think around 96 or 97) for about $500.00. Was looking for a tele and just sort of noticed this on the used rack-----fell in love with the way it played---------then plugged it in and BAM!!!! Had to have it. It's the fattest sounding tele I've ever heard. It's got a push-pull on the tone control that must split those pickups. Like having a boost function on the guitar.
Mine is the S series. No glossy finish. The neck is just a raw piece of ash with no gloss at all. In fact----the fret board gets dirty very easy . (Speaking of that-----do you have any suggestions for cleaning that?) It's got the neck plate you mentioned and the headstock is nearly identical to Anderson's.
The ONLY other place I've ever seen one one even remotely close to it was at 48th ST. Custom Guitars when I visited NYC a couple years ago. Great guitar. I doubt I'll ever see another one like it. Thanks so much for all your help.

killerburst
05-14-2004, 07:52 PM
No sweat. I was a dealer for Schecter during that period. Use Naptha for cleaning the fingerboard. They used Jacaranda for fingerboards at the time, or one-piece maple necks. The neck is maple, not ash. The body is swamp ash.

The pickups are tapped single coils, built, I believe, by our own Tom Anderson. The push/pull simply selects a portion of the winding and gives you a thinner, lower output sound when tapped. Running the pickups with the pot down selects the full winding of the pickup, which makes the sound louder and fuller. It's a very similar concept to Tom's VA booster.

There's one just like it on Ebay right now (color/fingerboard might be different). Click the second link I provided.

GASMAN
05-15-2004, 12:27 AM
Sorry---yes, I meant to say maple neck. Got all caught up in the fact that someone actually knows something about this guitar. I've been nosing around for years trying to find out more about it. I never understood Schecter's marketing. This series of their guitars seem so nice-------but seems the only ones they really pushed were the cheaper Diamond series. People think I'm nuts for liking this guitar so much----------but I've yet to play a Fender I like as well.
Does Schecter still make this S series? (I havn't been on their site lately). If so------why do they keep it such a secret?

velcro-fly
05-15-2004, 01:29 AM
Uh, wow.....thanks for totally hijacking my thread guys......sheesh:(

:D just kidding - great info...I would snap up something of theirs if the right one came along.

Steve E

killerburst
05-15-2004, 11:43 AM
The custom shop stuff is still on their site and they still make them, but only to order. The only dealer I know of who stocks USA Schecters is Drum City/ Guitar Land in CO.

Why do they keep it a secret? IMO, importing guitars by the container-load from Korea is more profitable than running a limited production custom shop. Their marketing is designed to woo the largest guitar buying demographic ($500 Ibanez, Jackson, Fender, Epiphone, etc.), not the high-end guitar customer- they want to sell thousands of cheap guitars at high margin, not hundreds of expensive guitars at low margin. They're a business.

GASMAN
05-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Thanks for all the info. You've certainly answered all my questions. Glad I found this Schecter when I did. I'll never part with it.

GASMAN
05-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Hey killerburst-----------I forgot to ask. What is Naptha exactly and where can I get it? Can it be used to clean the ash body as well? Thanks again.

killerburst
05-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Lighter fluid. Get it at a hardware store. I use Naptha on raw wood or hard finishes. The S series guitars are finished with oil and wax. I don't know if naptha i safe for that type of finish. Try emailing Schecter.