PDA

View Full Version : Chamber secrets

andersonguy
05-12-2004, 08:51 AM
This one for those who have vast knowledge beyond my comprehension.

On the hollow guitars, how do you know were to put the chambers and how big to make them. did you experiment with different sizes/locations. Did it involve some kind of a ritual with a shamen?

AG

tom
05-12-2004, 10:19 AM
no shaman, just highly trained and very creative termites. there are places where the wood must remain, and places where you may just want some strength. it's a trial and error game that's really fun to play. our flat and contoured hollow t's have very different hollowing, and they sound very different from each other. fortunately there aren't absolutes in tone, so there's room for lots of different things.

Stan Malinowski
05-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Does the location of the chambers vary from model to model or is it unique on every guitar?

tom
05-12-2004, 11:31 AM
we have the termites do a different pattern on every guitar.

velcro-fly
05-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by tom
we have the termites do a different pattern on every guitar.

The Termites did a great job with their pattern in my Hollow Drop Top - most 'alive' guitar I've ever played.

If I give you the serial number of this one - can you cross reference the termites that chewed on it and have them do my next one too?

Thanks,
Steve E

Stan Malinowski
05-12-2004, 12:03 PM
Were the termites trained in-house at TAG or at some local trade school? I could almost imagine Roy being involved in the training process.

tom
05-12-2004, 02:28 PM
roy is indeed their master. it is such hard work that they are allowed to retire after one guitar.

andersonguy
05-12-2004, 03:00 PM
I wonder if any of them run off with the termite circus, it could happen, especially with Roy as the trainer.
They did a great job on my Hollow T Classic. I hope you get them all out before sealing the chamber.

AG

sonicparke
05-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by andersonguy
I wonder if any of them run off with the termite circus, it could happen, especially with Roy as the trainer.
They did a great job on my Hollow T Classic. I hope you get them all out before sealing the chamber.

AG

If not I'm sure they just add to the tone!

jeepster
05-12-2004, 04:44 PM
Don't let our friends in Corona get ahold of this info......

That's all we need - another line of "Master-Chewed" reissues.