PDA

View Full Version : Question for Tom:

Donnie B.
10-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Tom,

I recently aquired a 2005 Pro Am and the push pull tone pot not only feels kinda loose (not in the mounting to the guitar but the sweeper itself) and also produces a scratchy noise when being turned. How can I go about getting a replacement?

Thanks

Don

tom
10-23-2009, 11:55 AM
we get them made to spin easily, but it shouldn't be noisy. try spraying it, that works 80% of the time. if that doesn't work let me know and i'll send you a replacement.
one thing worth noting, and it applies to all our pots. to get them to feel nice and smooth they use a non conductive grease on the bushing to shaft connection. this can act like an insulator so if you turn the metal knob while not touching anything else metal on the guitar, you make an intermittent ground connection which sounds like a scratchy pot.

Donnie B.
10-23-2009, 12:43 PM
one thing worth noting, and it applies to all our pots. to get them to feel nice and smooth they use a non conductive grease on the bushing to shaft connection. this can act like an insulator so if you turn the metal knob while not touching anything else metal on the guitar, you make an intermittent ground connection which sounds like a scratchy pot.

Interesting. I'll check both of the things you noted out.

THANKS for the quick reply. I am so enjoying the guitar. I'd been without a super strat floyd guitar for quite some time. Last night I had a killer session with her and flashed back to all of those mid 80s style licks and riffing. Was a blast!:)

dugjustdug
10-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Is yours a "her"? What'd you name her? I have yet to determine the gender of mine. "Brownie" is the name, but, sometimes he/she will act agressive while other times being silky and sultry.

Vive la differance! :D

Donnie B.
10-23-2009, 01:17 PM
No name, but all my guitars are she's except for my R9 who's Lester.:p

Jimmy-Sekshun8
10-24-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey dugjustdug,

Please see the humor in this post but I just can't resist. Perhaps you can have the first "androgynous" Anderson?

Son of Anderson
10-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Vive la differance! :D

Are you a Derrida fan?

dugjustdug
10-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Hey dugjustdug,

Please see the humor in this post but I just can't resist. Perhaps you can have the first "androgynous" Anderson?

So, I'm a proud owner of a TAAG? :p
(PS: It played like a boy last weekend.)

dugjustdug
10-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Are you a Derrida fan?

I have to confess that I needed to Goog the name. Pretty facinating! An area I don't often roam into, but, facinating just the same.

Donnie B.
10-30-2009, 06:02 PM
so if you turn the metal knob while not touching anything else metal on the guitar, you make an intermittent ground connection which sounds like a scratchy pot.

This is in fact the case. Tom, what does the cap and resistor soldered across the volume pot do? What effect on tone would it have removing them??

tom
10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
they keep the tone constant as you turn down the volume. if you remove the resister and leave the cap, it will get brighter as you turn down. if you remove both it will get darker as you turn down and there will probably be a jump in volume at 8 or so on the knob(if it had numbers).

Donnie B.
10-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks Tom. Would there be any tonal effect with the volume on 10? Which is where I keep it 95% of the time.

tom
10-30-2009, 07:33 PM
shouldn't be.

Donnie B.
10-30-2009, 08:24 PM
OK. Again, thanks!