PDA

View Full Version : VA5 TV3 altenative??

replayboy
10-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Well there IS such a thing as too much of a good thing? I mean i have been looking at the pickup guide on the Anderson site and i'm lost.
I have Anderson Hollow Drop Top T which i have a VA5 strat pickup in the neck and the trusty TV3 in the bridge, a great combination.
The help i need is putting Anderson pickups in a non Anderson Thinline Tele.. I want the same sort of sound as the great VA5 in the neck and a slighty hotter bridge than a TV3 ie more "balls" am i making sense? the pickups must also be hum free as much as possible. What do i get?? any help out there?
Cheers.

dannopelli
10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
If you want a Tele sized PUP for the neck get a TF2 for a hotter neck, and a TF3 for the bridge. These are hum cancelling and sound very much pure singles. I mean VERY MUCH.

Another alternative is a TM3 for the bridge, and a TF 2 for the neck. Will be a very big sound.

replayboy
10-20-2009, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the reply Danno,
I am not looking for so much of a big sound in the neck pickup, i need the strat sound which the VA5 is great for, it has the bell like clarity i like, it just needs it to be hum cancelling. The bridge pickup sounds good choice though.
Any more ideas for the neck?

dannopelli
10-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Is the guitar routed for a strat PUP? If so the SF's would be the way to go. Like the TF's only an S. I know, the naming convention is just soooo tricky!

Now to my ear all th *F's are VERY VERY close to a true single. Just a hair less high, but through my Maz 18 I can get it to nearly identical with a smidge more high and a smidge less cut.

To me these are far superior in terms of a true vintage single sound than any others out there, including the other Andy stacks.

tom
10-21-2009, 08:05 PM
yes, the Sf1 in the neck would be great. the tv3 is a pretty darn hot single coil, so i don't think the stacks will be any hotter, but the TF3 would be quiet.
if the pickup does not mount in the bridge, then the tm2 or 3 would be great.