PDA

View Full Version : acoustic for electric?

replayboy
10-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Hi Tom and the gang,
Wondering whether there is any discussion or plans to re introduce a acoustic/piezo sound to your electric guitars again. Really miss my hollow T classic with acoustic switch. It suited a lot of what we play.
Any chance???

GASMAN
10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I've often wondered why the Baggs system, currently used in the Crowdster couldn't be somehow incorporated into the electric line-up.

I'm sure there's a logical reason. I'm a technical idiot that occasionally needs educated. Love my Fishman equipped TAGs.

replayboy
10-20-2009, 05:21 PM
No reply from Tom and the gang??

mdrs
10-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Tom's currently away. He'll be back...............

pipedwho
10-20-2009, 09:56 PM
The LR Baggs pickup in the Crowdster is designed for a completely different type of bridge, and you can't really put that kind of acoustic bridge onto a solid body electric. (Well you can, but that's probably a little too far 'out-there' for Tom and co.)

The various brands of electric guitar bridge piezos are ok, but pretty much all of them require an on-board preamp. Fishman was the only one that had a loud enough signal to get away with being run passive. Tom has previously indicated that he'd prefer to keep his guitars completely passive.

I doubt Tom's against the use of piezos, I believe he's just waiting for something passive and decent to come along that'll work with the Anderson style bridge(s). (Fishman was custom making Anderson bridges fitted with their piezo assembly, but I don't believe they were selling a high enough volume to make continued production economical.)

edit: If a new piezo comes along, I'd love to retrofit it onto my HCS vintage trem. That guitar has a wonderful resonance that would work really well with a piezo bridge pickup. :)

tom
10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
still looking for the right package. still haven't found what we're looking for...