PDA

View Full Version : p90's or minis?

Marty S Horne
05-11-2004, 06:13 AM
I am finally ready to order my first Anderson, thanks to Roy (and Tom) for patiently answering my questions. I had wanted p90 pickups but everyone on the forum seems to love the new minis. Unfortunately I've never heard either one. I'd appreciate thoughts on how either/both sound.

Stan Malinowski
05-11-2004, 06:22 AM
I think you will get more tonal choices from the new Mini HBs compared to the P90s. The Minis are splittable and I have heard from reputable sources who have played them in the split mode that they are similar to a hot single coil. The good thing about your 2 final choices is that they are interchangeable from a size standpoint so they can always be changed if you feel you made the wrong decision.

BrownDog
05-11-2004, 12:40 PM
...but I recently played a Cobra with 2 mini HUMs with a 5-way switch. (I don't believe that the mini HUMs can be split but they can be wired such that a 5-way can be used as opposed to a 3-way switch.) I've also had experience with a P90-loaded Cobra.

If I had to choose between a Cobra with P90s or mini HUMs, I would prefer a Cobra with 3 P90s and a 5-way (push/pull tone pot). The P90s are more to my liking and better fit my playing style and the music I prefer. I don't mind the hum of P90s, that's part of their "charm" - and at stage volume, who can hear it? Plus, I like the mid-range "aggressiveness" or "muscle" of P90s, especially when overdriven - its a tone that I grew up on. The mini HUMs were nice, but not my particular "cup of tea."

But, I would very seriously consider a Hollow T (alder back/ash top perhaps; rosewood board; trem) with a mini Hum in the neck position, a VA in the mid position and a P90 in the bridge. Sort of a Brent Mason Nashville Tele.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike.

Stan Malinowski
05-11-2004, 04:12 PM
I don't believe that the mini HUMs can be split but they can be wired such that a 5-way can be used as opposed to a 3-way switch

I didn't realize the mini-hbs are not splittable. I misunderstood what Bruce said in his post about andersonguy's new mini-equipped Classic. When Bruce said he was getting SRV tones out of the guitar I assummed that he meant in a split mode. If you can get that type of tone of the mini's non-split I am dying to try them out.

tom
05-11-2004, 04:18 PM
we allow the bridge position mini to be split. the neck and middle are pretty small when split. i do have the neck split on my new guitar, but i have a particular use for a clean clear neck pickup that doesn't have to be as loud as everything else. the srv sounds bruce was raving about were the series sounds.

michaelomiya
05-11-2004, 04:30 PM
aren't the mini's less susceptible to noise (compared to the P90's)?

tom
05-11-2004, 06:38 PM
they are quiet, as quiet as it gets.

dannopelli
05-12-2004, 10:47 AM
They really are super quiet. Great overall wide tone. I have them in a HCS and it is a very big sound, without being overly agressive.

bruce
05-14-2004, 02:19 AM
When we at Anderson refer to "split" we are talking about a humbucker using only one coil or being "split" in half... this gives you a single coil sound.

Sometimes poeple refer to "split" as an inbetween sound on a Strat..or in other words positions 2 or 4 on a 5-way switch.

Hope this isn't confusing anyone any more than it has to.

As to my "raving" about the M pickups tone and the SRV tones with the Sage Green monster.... I can safely say the all the positions on the 5-way were bountiful.