PDA

View Full Version : Repair Facilities

dugjustdug
10-14-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but, Tom - Do you have authorized repair facilities around the USofA? I bot mine about 7 years ago, so, I'm absolutely positive I'm way past any warranty. (It's also my main gigging guitar so it gets a fair amount of use.)

Have lingering issue with a volume pot, and, just last weekend's gig, my middle 'bucker went out and am limitted to only the neck and bridge p'ups full on. Great for Rock! :-D Not so much for most of my rhythm work. I figured I'd get them both done. Most likely, it's a pot replacement and a loose wire in the p'up.

I do have a guy I trust about a half hour away who said he could do the work easily and has worked on TAG's before. But, I thought I'd beg the question.

Thanks!

dug

tom
10-14-2009, 07:48 PM
we don't have official places. if you've got someone you're comfortable with i'd be happy to send any parts needed. we do lots of regular stuff here when needed, and we are happy to do it, but it's silly to send a guitar long distance for a simple electronic repair.
have your guy call if he gets into it and gets stuck.

dannopelli
10-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Having lived in a few places in the US, I might offer to chime in:

If you can find a place that sells a lot of high end electrics, like Anderson, Grosh, Suhr, Fender and Gibson Custom Shop, they tend to have pretty good techs. Folks popping that kind of coin on a guitar like to have them well taken care of, and the store owners know that. This is not a rule, but kind of a rule of thumb.

Note, the point is the shops to look for are ones that have several high end brands, plus the Fender and Gibson CS line. I've been pretty lucky following that plan.

You could also post where you live. Someone here will PM you who they use nearby. We PM that stuff, because our of respect for Jack at Magdon, we don't talk about any guitar shops on this forum. But if you live within an hour of Magdon take it there. They do nice work, and your guitar will come back better than when you left it.

BrownDog
10-15-2009, 11:28 AM
The guys at MassStreet Music in Lawrence KS are tremendous as well - get techs all-around in that shop!

Let us know where you live, perhaps we can offer some suggestions if you don't already know someone.

With tone and oneness, Mike

Babow2
10-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Hey Tom,
You said you don't have any authorized repair centers. Benny Rodriguez up here in Nor Cal lists himself as one, and says he worked for you for 10 years and was "head of shop" from '85-'95. He says he is the only authorized TAG repair guy.

But, hey, what do I know.
Brent

tom
10-15-2009, 07:02 PM
benny is family, i don't even consider him not us.

bruce
10-16-2009, 06:22 PM
family=authorized

dannopelli
10-17-2009, 01:41 AM
This is like the dinner scene in Goodfellas!!!

mdrs
10-17-2009, 01:35 PM
He said "authorized", not "made man"!! :eek: LOL

Yes, if you are anywhere near Jack, he's the guy!! He did some work on my Atom CT, and I'd highly recommend his work.

Plus, he's a great guy!!

allicio
10-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I was just wondering if anybody can recommend someone in the uk for setups and repairs and such

andy

dugjustdug
10-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks loads for the responses, Guys. I took it to my local guy whom I trust, and, I get my little buddy back tomorrow night. Just in time for a private gig this weekend, too!

FWIW, a wire came loose is all on the middle p'up. Replacing the volume pot, too.

Tom - Thanks for the offer to send parts. If the volume pot fails for whatever reason, I'll be sure to take you up on the offer.

dugjustdug
10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Just a quick final note. Played my TAG for Saturday's gig and the repair was as expected. Sounded like the same ol' sweet thaing as before. :-)