PDA

View Full Version : Humbucker covers don't fit?!

malabarmusic
10-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I ordered a pair of HCs for my Atom, thinking that swapping out the stock Hs would be a snap, but ... apparently the factory pickup routes are so snug around the original uncovered units that the extra width (1/16" or so) of the cover makes it a no go. The guitar is less than 3 years old, but I guess that predates the covered option. I wish I knew this before I whipped out the credit card and ordered the HCs. :(

- DB

tom
10-11-2009, 05:48 PM
sorry, did you contact us? we could have told you. the HF's would fit and give you the tone. the covers require a larger enough hole that we don't use them interchangeably. same thing in pickguards, we make the holes fit the style of pickup used.

malabarmusic
10-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Tom. No, I just ... assumed. :o Should I go back to my dealer to work out an exchange for a pair of HFs?

- DB

tom
10-12-2009, 11:32 AM
yes, and remember the atoms have a different bottom plate, so they need the "A" suffix.

malabarmusic
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
yes, and remember the atoms have a different bottom plate, so they need the "A" suffix.Will do, and thanks -- at least I got that part correct!

- DB

malabarmusic
11-06-2009, 06:08 PM
OK, I just installed the HFs. Positions 1/2/4/5 all seem to be working properly (and sound great), but the pickups are clearly out of phase in Position 3 -- both with and without the tone knob pulled. I followed the original wiring exactly -- reds to hot, blacks to ground, white/green soldered together. The old pickups were in phase, and I didn't change any other wiring.

I'm pretty sure that in 2/3/4 I'm getting the inside coil on both pickups. On the neck, it's definitely the coil closer to the bridge (verified via harmonics). In Position 3 with the tone knob pulled, the dual single coil sound is humbucking ... but very much out of phase.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

- DB

tom
11-06-2009, 06:56 PM
lets see. sounds like the magnet may be in the pickup backwards. we can certainly replace it, or a simple rewire will make it work the way it's supposed to. if you do:
red to ground.
black to hot.
and green and white together for splitting,
you should be in phase and the neck most coil will come on like it should.
most sorry for the mixup.

malabarmusic
11-07-2009, 01:03 PM
OK, it worked! Thanks so much for the support. The HFs sound phenomenally good. :)

- DB

tom
11-07-2009, 01:39 PM
good news, glad you like them.