PDA

View Full Version : Speakers

Casper
05-10-2004, 09:13 AM
I am thinking about hot-rodding my Peavey Classic 30 112 combo with either a Celestion or Eminence. I just don't know what kind? Anybody out there have any opinions good or bad, or any other avenues I might explore? I have a Peavey Sheffield 75w in there now, but I want to change the sound of the cab...any help would be appreciated
Shaun

Stan Malinowski
05-10-2004, 09:57 AM
How about Weber? If they don't make the right speaker for an application it ain't made. I find they have great service and a great product at pretty reasonable costs.

Casper
05-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Hey Stan!
Thanks for the info, I've never heard of Weber, but I'll look into the company. I guess I mentioned Celestion and Eminence because of the reputations of both companies. All of the classic amps have these in them and I want to warm up my sound. I think the speaker I have now is rated to high and I wanted to "load up" the speaker a bit more...

Stan Malinowski
05-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Shaun,

What kind of tone are you after on the Peavy? Weber has a variety of "Vintage Speakers", available in both Alnico and Ceramic, as well as a couple of more "Modern" lines like the Californian, Texan, Chicago, etc. If you can imagine a tone most likely Weber can deliver you a suitable speaker. I just restored an older Fender Princeton Reverb and wnated to replace the speaker with on which was tighter in the bass and louder than the stock. Talked to TA at Weber and he recommended their 10F150T Ceramic Speaker. They built it (all Webers are built to order) and had it to my door in around a week. They were right on target with their recommendations, the PR now has the tone I was after.

Casper
05-10-2004, 11:32 AM
Stan,
I'm not exactly sure about the tone, other than I want a warmer fatter tone, which is kinda hard with a 112 open backed cab, plus, I am tinkering with the idea of going back to just plain amp sounds instead of a digital front end. I was planning on just sticking a Celestion Greenback in there and see what happens, BUT, I will look into the Weber thing..Thanks for the advice!!

joe1962
05-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Casper
Stan,
I'm not exactly sure about the tone, other than I want a warmer fatter tone, which is kinda hard with a 112 open backed cab, plus, I am tinkering with the idea of going back to just plain amp sounds instead of a digital front end. I was planning on just sticking a Celestion Greenback in there and see what happens, BUT, I will look into the Weber thing..Thanks for the advice!!

In a 112 I'd go with a G12H30 over a Greenback if you want a Celestion. I love Greenbacks but to me it takes at least 2 of them to get a good low end. The G12H30 will give you a bigger sound in the 112.

Casper
05-10-2004, 01:54 PM
thanks Joe and Stan
I was thinking along that line. BUT, heres a question...
My amp is 30 watts. What power rating do I want..30? Or do I need to get a 40 or 50? My amp of course never goes full blast..
I'm not hip on electronics. I know the Sheffield has either and 8 or 16 ohm load..?

joe1962
05-10-2004, 02:05 PM
thanks Joe and Stan
I was thinking along that line. BUT, heres a question...
My amp is 30 watts. What power rating do I want..30? Or do I need to get a 40 or 50? My amp of course never goes full blast..
I'm not hip on electronics. I know the Sheffield has either and 8 or 16 ohm load..?

Dr Z puts the G12H30 Celestions in his 112 Maz Sr amps (loud 38 watts) and they hold up fine. If you stay with a lower wattage speaker the speaker will be more dynamic and responsive.

BrownDog
05-10-2004, 04:08 PM
... Celestion Vintage 30. I use this and am very pleased. I've tried the Classic 80 and was as excited about the tone as the Vintage 30.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike.

Casper
05-11-2004, 06:57 AM
I need to do a bit more research. Stan said some good things about Weber, I have been hearing that Eminence is doing great things, but the more I read about the Celestion G12H30 I am leaning more toward that. Thanks so much everybody;)
Shaun

Stan Malinowski
05-11-2004, 07:07 AM
I don't think you can go wrong with either Celestion or Weber. I have heard mixed opinions on Eminence. I guess Eminenece makes a WIDE variety of speakers that run form lower priced OEM speakers for low end Fender amps to custom high end speakers for botique amp builders. At the high end of the scale I think Eminence would be competitive with Celstion, Weber, etc.

pluto
05-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
I don't think you can go wrong with either Celestion or Weber. I have heard mixed opinions on Eminence. I guess Eminenece makes a WIDE variety of speakers that run form lower priced OEM speakers for low end Fender amps to custom high end speakers for botique amp builders. At the high end of the scale I think Eminence would be competitive with Celstion, Weber, etc.

Stan, I'm sure you read the posts on the gearpage about the new Eminence speakers. I think Doug Roc. is switching to those new speakers. I would be interested in them, but I'm content with Celestion Vintage 30s or Classic 80s, so I probably won't ever change speakers.

Stan Malinowski
05-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Actually I hadn't real paid much attention to the new line(s) of Eminence speakers. I happened to be calling Weber this morning and went to their website for the phone number. There on the front page of the Weber site was an announcement that Weber would be selling the "Patriot and the Red Coat" lines of Eminence! I actually spoke to Ted Weber's son TA about this and he said they were quite impressed by the quality of the new Eminence lines and decided to carry that particular line. He did also qualify that Emience does have a varied line and it would only be these high-end lines that would be resold by Weber and not the numerous lower end models,

pluto
05-12-2004, 01:55 PM
I need to do a bit more research. Stan said some good things about Weber, I have been hearing that Eminence is doing great things, but the more I read about the Celestion G12H30 I am leaning more toward that. Thanks so much everybody;)
Shaun

I used to have a G12H30 speaker in my Z best cab, run in parallel with a vintage 30. It's a great speaker-it has a lot of low end and lowmids and highs that mixed well with the high mid spike from the vintage 30s. The only thing about it is that is has low power handling (30 watts).

pluto
05-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Actually I hadn't real paid much attention to the new line(s) of Eminence speakers. I happened to be calling Weber this morning and went to their website for the phone number. There on the front page of the Weber site was an announcement that Weber would be selling the "Patriot and the Red Coat" lines of Eminence! I actually spoke to Ted Weber's son TA about this and he said they were quite impressed by the quality of the new Eminence lines and decided to carry that particular line. He did also qualify that Emience does have a varied line and it would only be these high-end lines that would be resold by Weber and not the numerous lower end models,

Yep, those are the ones. Doug Roccaforte started a thread about them and I saw the advertisements in guitar player. I think Doug played the red coat line and was impressed with the governor and tonka (or something like that).

scottiK
05-12-2004, 04:20 PM
I've seen a few guys talk about the Vintage 30's and refer to them as 30watt speakers. I might be wrong here but my understanding was that they are actually 60watt speakers and the design was modeled after the old 30watt Celestions. Here's a link to the specs page on their site.

scott

http://professional.celestion.com/products/guitar/classic_spec.asp?ID=4

pluto
05-12-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by scottiK
I've seen a few guys talk about the Vintage 30's and refer to them as 30watt speakers. I might be wrong here but my understanding was that they are actually 60watt speakers and the design was modeled after the old 30watt Celestions. Here's a link to the specs page on their site.

scott

http://professional.celestion.com/products/guitar/classic_spec.asp?ID=4

You are correct-Vintage 30 are 60 watt speakers. Why they are called "Vintage" when they are not vintage like at all imo and "30" is beyond me. The 30 watt speaker I was referring to in my post was the GH1230, not the Vintage 30.

scottiK
05-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by pluto
You are correct-Vintage 30 are 60 watt speakers. Why they are called "Vintage" when they are not vintage like at all imo and "30" is beyond me. The 30 watt speaker I was referring to in my post was the GH1230, not the Vintage 30.

my bad....I see that now that I look back at the thread. I just have seen that a few times on the forum so I thought I would throw out that question. sk

Class5
05-15-2004, 10:52 PM
Just put my Crate Vintage Club 50 head back into a 1 x 12 combo form ( I had it as a 2 x 10 for a while) and used a Celestion Rocket 50, 8 ohm. I'm pretty happy. Does well with both clean and overdriven tones.