PDA

View Full Version : Is this immoral????

tmihm
05-10-2004, 07:12 AM
OK...so I just got my Rosewood-top George Harrison Hollow T Classic (GOTW, August 24, 2003). Just an absolute pleasure to play - I'm thrilled!

But here's my dilemma:

The Tele tones that come out of this are mind-blowing and I wouldn't want to affect that whatsoever.....

...but my Strat is (well...*was*...) my main guitar - one...for the nasal 2nd and 4th position tones that I crave, and two...for it's feel. I've spoken to Tom about swapping the Andy bridge with a Fishman piezo, which we're gonna procede with.

But I'm wondering the possibilty of adding a middle pickup, to achieve that quack sound that I like.

Would you guys even consider doing this to yours?

What I would like to do (if it's possible) would be to add the third pup, and maybe have one of the pots a push-pull that would turn that pickup 'on' or 'off', so I would still be able to get my normal 3-way Tele sounds, but I could activate the middle one by the push-pull.

I'd certainly send it back to Tom for the work to be done. Has anyone tried this? Is it irrerverant?????:confused: :D

Thanks!!!

Terry:D

tom
05-10-2004, 10:59 AM
not irrerverant. we do this kind of stuff all the time. that's part of the fun and finction of this style of guitar.

andersonguy
05-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Hi Terry,
I had a similar situation but wanted the best of both worlds. I have the most fantastic hollow T classic, 3 pickup config. It gives you so many more options and yes the 2 & 4 position will give you that great quack as you call it. Dont they call that a "nashville tele"?

Good luck!;)

AG

Stan Malinowski
05-10-2004, 11:14 AM
I (personally) would not want to use this particular guitar as a testbed, it's a BEAUTIFUL piece of work. I'd be more tempted to pickup a used Andy T on eBay and have that modified for the middle pickup.

tmihm
05-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Gives me a lot to think about, guys....thanks for your advice....and I'll let you know what happens!

Definitely the Fishman though. ;) ;) ;)

tmihm
05-10-2004, 12:02 PM
The more I think about it...what would be the *worst* thing that could happen?

If I could still get the Andy T sounds I'm diggin'...I could probably try some middle pups until I find one (hopefully the first one that I try!!!) that would give me (more of) what I want. Grabbing a second one to experiment with is always tempting, but I'm trying to consolidate my number of guitars a bit...and I am just infatuated with this one.

AG....how do you turn the middle pup on and off on yours?

Thanks again!

;)

GASMAN
05-10-2004, 12:12 PM
I've got a hollow T classic with the 3 pickup set up. Just got it back from the boys after having the powerbidge installed (as well as SS frets and a few other detail things). Yes----great strat-tele-acoustic----all in one guitar. I like your idea of being able to turn that middle pickup off an on. Hmmmm............wish I'd thought of that while it was there. Oh well ----------love it as is.
I understand your dilema with the rosewood tele. Tough call. But then again, why not set it up to be just the way you want it? Heck-----you'd be the only one out there with one like it. I'd say go for it! You know you're working with a company that will get it just right. Enjoy that ax!

Class5
05-15-2004, 11:26 PM
I just tried putting a push-pull in a basic Tele (non TA) to reverse the hot and ground wire on the neck pickup. I was hoping for quack, but what I got was something like static flanger. Bummer. I guess if you want quack, you gotta have the reverse magnet orientation, along with the reverse winding.

tom
05-15-2004, 11:48 PM
you need a middle pickup for the quack. reversing the phase of a pickup makes a very thin nasel tone.

andersonguy
05-15-2004, 11:49 PM
Hi Guys,
I love mine so very much, very versital. Do you have push pull tone knob for add bridge? I thought position 5 (neck pickup) with tone pulled is neck and bridge, no mid pickup.

do I have it wrong.:eek:

Have you asked Roy?

AG

Class5
05-16-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by tom
you need a middle pickup for the quack. reversing the phase of a pickup makes a very thin nasel tone.

Nasal, for sure. I think I'll rewire it to change the middle position from parallel to series. What'dya think?

tom
05-16-2004, 12:07 AM
i assumed your guitar had two pickups. if that's true, you could put them in series. it will give you a louder, darker sound, still no quack. if you do it, you will need to lift the cover of the neck pickup from the black lead, or else it will short the guitar if your fingers or the string touches it.

Class5
05-16-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks Tom. I suppose the way it's grounded, that would present a problem, wouldn't it, LOL.

Roy (maybe)
05-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Hi tmihm,

This is a hyper-link worth clicking if you are wondering how the look of your Rosewood HTC will change.

http://www.andersonguitars.com/cfPages/showSingleGuitarGallery.cfm?passedID=15&finishID=117&bodyWoodID=60

The nice thing is that the middle pickup will be black on a black pickguard so you will need to direct non-guitarists to the change in order for them to notice you even had a modification done—and the tonal pallet will increase by over two fold.

If you bought this beautiful Anderson because you are remembering George Harrison in only the historic since, then don’t do the mod. But if you enjoy him and wonder how he would play it now, (if he were here today) he would happily add a middle pickup himself. If you are not a Harrison fan and just dig the guitar…add it. The tonal increase is really worth it.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps

Roy
(maybe)

tmihm
05-17-2004, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Roy (maybe)
Hi tmihm,
This is a hyper-link worth clicking if you are wondering how the look of your Rosewood HTC will change.
http://www.andersonguitars.com/cfPages/showSingleGuitarGallery.cfm?passedID=15&finishID=117&bodyWoodID=60

Thanks for all of the advice guys. Roy...I did see that three pup one while drooling and checking out the GOTW. Just killer. I did write to Tom, and he's going to get me a quote to have a middle pup installed with a push/pull to turn it on/off...as well as swapping out the stock bridge for a Fishman.

This guitar is just fantastic, but could never be my number 1 without that third pup.

It's just a matter of time before it will indeed be my fave.

I do have respect and appreciation for Harrison, but that is not the primary reason I picked it. I also think that George would have done the mod too.

;)

Terry

oscar100
05-18-2004, 10:53 AM
nic e gtr!

what difference does the rosey top make to the sound?

;)

tmihm
05-18-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by oscar100
nic e gtr!
what difference does the rosey top make to the sound?
;)
Thanks, Oscar!

The guitar is just such a tonal beast...I'm still trying to figure that out. Between the rosewood neck, the top, the hollowed alder body, the pickups, the stainless steel frets....I'm thinking that it's just the combination of everything. I don't have any experience with any others...this is the first (but won't be the last!!!) Andy I've had.

It just murdered any Tele I've ever had. Just can't say enough about it.;)

Terry

oscar100
05-18-2004, 11:21 AM
dam

i came so close to buying it on gear page

did a deal with the guy and then changed my mind

enjoy

asnd if you decide to sell get in touch

what did you end up payin if you dont mind me askin?

:rolleyes:

tmihm
05-18-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by oscar100

what did you end up payin if you dont mind me askin?
:rolleyes:

You have mail... :)