PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting saddles to scale length

Armando
10-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Tom, Bruce or anyone else in the know:

When you set the saddle positions on the guitar's bridge(a Floyd Rose in my case...), do you measure the length from the end of the nut to the center of 12th fret, then double that length to achieve the position of the saddle on the high E? I've read somewhere that doing this and then setting the distance of the next 2 saddles(strings B and G) "back" respectively by the thickness of their respective string gauge(i.e. with string set .010-.046, the second saddle would be set back .013 and the third saddle would be set back .017). Then the 4th saddle's length would "mirror" the 1st saddle's position and finally saddle's 5 and 6 would follow the same rules for setting saddle's 2 and 3 using .036 and .046 as offsets.

Is this the method you guys use or is there an easier/more straight forward way? Thanks!

pipedwho
10-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Assuming you meant setting up the guitar after you've received it: search for "intonating a guitar" to find the best method(s) to set the saddle positions. Rather than using distance measurements, it's best to use frequency measurements - ie. a tuner.

Since TAGs all use the Buzz Feiten Tuning System, you'll also want to use the correct frequency offsets when tuning and setting the intonation.

Armando
10-05-2009, 05:18 AM
I know how to intonate the guitar, I would just like to know how to best set-up the saddle positions on the bridge as if starting from scratch. I'd like to be able to disassemble the bridge for cleaning/lubrication purposes and not worry about making "pencil marks" and such to get it back to it's original state. Maybe I should have explained that in my previous post.

bruce
10-05-2009, 09:45 AM
The measurement you explained is not something TAG uses.

If you need to disassemble, I would recommend to take measurements before disassembly. You would then still need to set up and intonate once it's all back together.

tom
10-05-2009, 11:31 AM
what brce said. and if this is something you do with any regularity, you should get yourself some dial calipers so you can measure the distance from the front edge of the bridge to an edge on the saddle. that should get you very close. when we're setting up a new guitar, we can visually get them real close since all our hole locations are very precise and we see them every day. then intonation with a tuner goes much faster.

Armando
10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks Bruce and Tom for your replies!