PDA

View Full Version : changing from HO to H question

joe1962
05-09-2004, 09:09 AM
I've got the HO1-/HO2 pickup set in my Cobra S. I've also got a alder Hollow Drop Top with the H2 in the bridge. I've been in love with the sound of the H2 pickup in my HDT and when I play the Cobra S the HO pickups don't seem to be as smooth, and have a "harder" sounding upper midrange that I don't care for. I'm thinking about changing the HO1-/HO2 to a H1-/H2+ set like I see in a lot of Cobra S guitars. What kind of tonal difference should I expect? Will the H1-/H2+ set smooth out the upper mids I'm hearing in my Cobra S?

bruce
05-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Joe,

What you are possibly hearing are the differences between the two guitars and not pick ups since one is a Cobra (Mahogany/Maple), and the other is a Hollow Alder with a Drop Top. The hollow Alder will have a smooth quality to it naturally.

We could do the pick up swap, but I don't know if that will do what you are looking for.

The H's have a bit more harmonic compression or a tighter attack when picked hard where the HO's have a bit more of an open feel when hitting the strings....Maybe this is contributing to what you are hearing/feeling since your Hollow guitar already has a softer hit due to it's construction plus the H's.

joe1962
05-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Bruce, thanks for the reply. I originally had a HO1+ in my HDT, and it was too bright and hard sounding in that guitar, so I went to a H2+ and it was nice, but a little too compressed in the HDT. I backed up to a H2 and it's perfect in the HDT. Since the Cobra is solid and different woods would the H2+ be the way to go for me to get a similar feel in the Cobra? I liked the output of the H2+ in the HDT but I guess the fact that it is hollow and alder made the H2+ a little too compressed for me in the HDT.

tom
05-09-2004, 02:33 PM
i hear the HO's as more focused, and for me the H series is more open and smoother. i use an H2 in my cobra, and sometimes think i should go to the 2+ for a smoother solo tone.