PDA

View Full Version : Comparison question

OSCAR ZOROASTER
09-17-2009, 10:31 AM
Tom, or others there, how would you compare the Short T vs Cobra T tonally?

tom
09-17-2009, 11:32 AM
totally different materials make for a totally different guitar. leans more heavily to it's long scale cousin than the all mahogany cobra.
it has more of the immediacy of the maple neck and extended freq response of the alder or ash body. also the potential for single coil style pickups changes everything.
for me it's the solution for the gibson style player who struggles with how demanding a long scale single coil guitar can be without losing the character we all love about them.
we just did a couple HC loaded ones this week and they put a whole new face on a short scale hb guitar.

tomsalvojazz
09-18-2009, 10:46 AM
Got my Short T a few weeks ago (the first one, actually) and it absolutely kicks Tele butt. This is close in feel to a traditional Tele but with a more focused and very powerful strong tone and of course the ease and buttery playability of a short scale. The interesting thing is that even with the short scale, the single-coil tones are still very clear and crisp and convincingly twangy. You don't lose much in the Tele flavor.

Now, I play a lot of jazz, and my Short T with the neck pickup and the VA booster engaged gives me the feel and a lot of the vibe of something like a 175 for jazz. It absolutely BLEW my jazz trio away and had me grinning at how easy it is to play.

Hey Tom, can I have a Short S? LOL!;)

guitarzan
09-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm playing a Hollow Ash Short T with maple neck right now and I can't really tell that it's a short scale (sonically). All Andys are easy to play. This one might feel just a tad easier. But sonically, it still sounds very much like a tele.

I've had a Cobra Special (2 P-90's) and that one sounded so much more like a Les Paul because of the mahogany body/neck and the dark squish that you get from LP-style guitars. There was the classic Anderson sparkle to it, but it was still a lot more round sounding than this Hollow Short T.

morty
09-23-2009, 03:14 AM
My next Anderson, after i get my new one, is defenatly a short-T, telecaster twang TA pickups and short scale, i think is going to suit me very good. I think it is a nice supliment to my Drop Top, for my kind of playingstyle and music style.. dont need any mor guitars, to cover almost all guitar sounds!