PDA

View Full Version : New to Anderson guitars looking for advice

Big Harry
08-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Guys ,
New to TAG , only I know is what I've riped in a few days from Internet research and this fine site .
My intention is to buy 3 Anderson's in a next three years :rolleyes:
Regarding specifications , it is too early to choose wood ,colors ,pick ups or model - there are so many ,need time to understand it all at first .

What I know right now is about bridge system : one will be with vintge tremolo,one with fixed bridge and one with Floyd Rose .
Also ,one of them will be Bari-Tom , for my Son (teenager playing all these new metal stuffs )

What I don't know either is specific order of buying what guitar .

I am playing everything from Blues to 60's , 70's ,80's Rock , but mostly it is about very well known top world guitarist stuffs , plus that crazy , funny and genius Pablo Gilberto in the last few years :) (I need fixed bridge for playing him ,btw )

OK ,than what is your question bro' you might asked ? :confused:
-Where and how to order custom TAG ?
-Which dealer could you recommend me ,if I go for already factory made guitar ? (I hope this question is not against the rules on this site )
-Since I am living in South Africa , no chance to check out the guitar in store ,this will be blind buying , so lots of silly question will have to fallow .

-The main question is : are these TAG guitar really so good for the money .
If yes , please tell me why ???

It will cost me at least $1300 per guitar more (transport and tax) than any USA citizen will pay for it , so please don't take me wrong with this question ,I just want to know it exactly , before I spent say $ 15,000 or so on three guitars .
(don't tell it to my wife ,pls :cool: )

Thanks for the inputs and Cheers,
Big Harry

markus
08-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Hey Big Harry,

Welcome to the forum!
Anderson guitars are worth every penny!!! Why? Well, first of all they play like butter, sound absolutely incredible, the craftsmanship and attention to detail is out of this world and Tom & crew's customer service is unparalleled in the business. I could probably go on and on for hours about how great these guitars are...

I'm the very lucky owner of 4 Andersons (and counting) and I actually sold all my other guitars as they simply didn't compare anymore. Once I played an Anderson, I couldn't put it down and I wouldn't pick up any of my other guitars.

The Baritom is unfortunately no longer in production, but once in a while Tom & crew do a limited run. The last one of those was just this year though. Not sure when the next one will be.
In any case, the next limited run will be 7 strings, right Tom? ;) :D

Anyway, you can't go wrong with Anderson guitars. Every single Anderson I've seen and played was absolutely stunning & amazing... enough said.
Enjoy the forum. Lots of great people here with an amazing wealth of knowledge.

Cheers,
Markus

Big Harry
08-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Hi Markus , thanks for welcome ,it seems to be very nice place ineed ! :)

mslugano
08-14-2009, 02:50 AM
Hi BH. I too have owned four Andersons over the last few years and they changed my whole guitar buying philosophy...settling for inconsistent mass produced quality is no longer an option. I agree with everything Markus said but would add a couple things.

First, be sure that you know the neck specs that you like before ordering...skinny, fat, V or C, 1 5/8" or 1 11/16" nut, etc...I think this is often overlooked while buyers focus on pickups, wood choice and color. If you're not careful, you could end spending $15K on three amazing guitars and then find you prefer a different neck. I have done this and I, too, live outside the US so getting Anderson to replace a neck with a shape you later find you prefer is prohibitively expensive (for most). I found I could not play anything but fat necks with wide nuts and it left me no option but to sell some great Andersons with specs that didn't suit me. This was all my fault for not knowing what I like.

Second, understand that the Anderson body is slightly more sleek than Fender and many other brands. This is not a negative and I think most people prefer it but it is something to consider. Personally, I wish Tom would bring the mysterious big body TAG out for production because, even though I firmly believe Tom makes some of the best guitars on the planet (not a bad apple in the bunch, either), I prefer the bigger shape.

So, if you can, I'd play a few guitars (even if they are non Anderson) and compare specs so you buy what works for you. Once you have done this, Tom and Co. will deliver you an unbelieveably great guitar that looks, plays and sounds better than anything you have probably ever owned.

Worth the money? YES!

Big Harry
08-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Very clever advice ,tnx mslugano !

My only complain regarding my Jem 7vwh was about its famouse Ibanez Wizard neck . I said , huh , if it can be just a little bit deeper and thicker by taper and with 1 mm or so narrower neck board ,it will be a killer .
Comparing dimensions of Anderson 1 11/6 even taper and 7vwh dimensions ,it seems even taper is spot on !

Anyone had a chance to compare those two necks side by side ?