PDA

View Full Version : Gary Moore DVD

pluto
05-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Since my wife asked me to pick up one of those Land Before Time DVDs for my daughter after work, I stopped over at Sam Goody's, checked out the music DVDs and ended up buying the Gary Moore Monsters of Rock DVD along with my daughter's DVD. I watched the first half and thought it was pretty cool especially watching Moore play an abbreviated (sic?) version of the intro to the End of the World. But, damn, the tone was just lacking with his Gibson Explorer going through his Marshall DSL's. I've always been a big fan of Moore's tone in the 80's and early 90's, but his tone was really harsh on that DVD. In any case, just wanted to share this little thought.

michaelomiya
05-05-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by pluto
Since my wife asked me to pick up one of those Land Before Time DVDs for my daughter after work, I stopped over at Sam Goody's, checked out the music DVDs and ended up buying the Gary Moore Monsters of Rock DVD along with my daughter's DVD. I watched the first half and thought it was pretty cool especially watching Moore play an abbreviated (sic?) version of the intro to the End of the World. But, damn, the tone was just lacking with his Gibson Explorer going through his Marshall DSL's. I've always been a big fan of Moore's tone in the 80's and early 90's, but his tone was really harsh on that DVD. In any case, just wanted to share this little thought.

Mark, I'd heard that the Monsters of Rock DVD had a very "dry" tone. A little 'verb or ambient micing may have helped(?).

"Corridors of Power" and "Victims of the Future" are total benchmark albums for killer tone. In fact if you check Webster's under "ripping Marshall tone", there's a picture of the Gov'nor, and 2 sound files of the solos from "Gonna Break My Heart Again" and "Shapes of Things to Come":cool:

pluto
05-05-2004, 05:45 PM
You hit the nail on the head-the tone is extremely dry and just too harsh. Oh well, it's a worth it DVD anyway just to see Moore play. I totally agree about Corridors of Power-that's a cranked Marshall tone at its best.

Stys
05-06-2004, 04:10 AM
Gary Moore's latest studio release, Scars, has an extremely dry production. However, the intensity of his playing makes up for the lack of FX's. Even the vocals are dry. Nonetheless, the strat tones he gets are quite amazing.