PDA

View Full Version : Setup change when tuning-down 1/2 step?

Kosmo
08-04-2009, 11:32 AM
I haven't changed the set up on my classic since I bought it ten years ago. It still plays great and in perfect tune with the Buzz Feiten system. I've never messed with the tuning either -- I always keep it in standard tuning.

Recently, my friend suggested we tune down our guitars a half step to eleviate some strain on our singing voices.

If I decide to do this, would it require a new setup? Or could I just move up my string gauge from 10's to 11's without making a setup change?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

markus
08-04-2009, 12:01 PM
I play in Drop C# with my band and all my Andersons are setup for that tuning. However, sometimes I play with another band where I need to tune to Standard tuning and typically I have to do the following:
1) Set up the floating bridge (I have Floyds on all my Andersons)
2) Reset the neck relief (as I don't change the string gauge).

I do not change the intonation.

So, especially with changing the string gauge I guess the answer is yes, you'll have to setup the guitar for the new tuning. I'd assume including the intonation.

Hope this helps.

Kosmo
08-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm not very tech savvy, so I was hoping someone would say that tuning down a half-step wouldn't have that much affect. I guess if I want to do this and continue to have near perfect tuning up and down the neck, I'll have to perform a setup on the guitar.

bruce
08-04-2009, 09:33 PM
The tuning changes you want to introduce will have a small affect in a few places. You can get by without doing anything and it will be as you say 'near perfect'. My suggestion would be try the string gauge change.. see if you like it... because there is a chance you may not like bigger strings. This way settle on the gauge you prefer at that given pitch, then have it set-up (or not) accordingly. Because I'm a tech, I would refret the guitar just if you looked at it in a funny way.. but you can get by without a set-up if you don't have the means.... or the beans.

Would I? Yes

Do you absolutely have to? No

Now, if this is a floating trem... A darn good idea.

Kosmo
08-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the info., Bruce. I have a vintage trem and rarely use it, so that shouldn't be an issue. Good point about the strings! I've always used 10's on my electrics. I mistakenly put my friend's 9's on one time and hated them! Never tried 11's though.

taclassic
08-05-2009, 04:54 PM
I use 10s on my 2 guitars and one is tuned to E and the other to Eb or E. Never had to really touch the action or set up at all.

strat56
08-05-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm guessing if you never changed the set up the bridge isn't floating, the back of the bridge is resting on the top of the guitar, so no tremolo changes will be needed.

I think the 11's are still going to feel more stiff than your 10's and I don't think you're going feel that much difference in the string tension just tuning down 1/2 step, I never have.

My advice, tune it down with 10's and see how it plays, you probably won't have to change anything, but if you don't like it, all you have to do is tune it back up!