PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite neck shape

nick
06-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Just curious what folks call their favorite Anderson neck shape. Mine happens to be the even taper. Interesting that serveral years ago I thought I would go for a slightly larger neck, but now I believe it is absolutely perfect. Not sure if the shape was tweaked from years back or not but it is certainly the "cats meow"......what is yours!

Stys
06-20-2009, 06:45 PM
'62 Roundback or 60's vibe. I like a little beef in my hand. Played my friend's Jem one time and that neck was just to flat for me.

John Price
06-20-2009, 07:06 PM
I have 2 favorites! For a long time now I've been using the 60's vibe but just this year I came across a guitar with the even taper +.050 size neck and now my new classic has this neck shape...... I still have a classic with the 60's vibe.....Love both neck shapes......

dannopelli
06-20-2009, 07:47 PM
62 roundback .50 over.

But I have to agree that even taper is nice. It's on one of my Classics.

mdrs
06-20-2009, 09:07 PM
My Koa HDT has heavy frets on an even taper neck.
My Classic and my CT both have medium frets on a 60's vibe neck.

If I had to choose, I'd say that the even taper with the heavy frets is perhaps the finest neck I've ever played. But, I really feel that the other two are right there too...........very hard to choose a favorite, as they are all great.

I'm not very picky about necks, however. I really really love big fat thick '50's Gibson necks. But, seem pretty happy with most different neck sizes, thicknessess, and shapes. I happen to really enjoy a "V" neck as well. I've not yet experienced an Andy with the 50's V neck...........

pipedwho
06-21-2009, 05:54 AM
Even taper is definitely my favourite. The happy medium on my HCS is very nice also, but the even taper on my DT edges it out for first place. :)

spirithunter
06-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Even taper is my favorite.

:cool:

strat56
06-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Only have one TAG, closest dealer is 50 miles away and their website doesn't show any in stock, so I haven't had the opportunity to try many different neck shapes, but the even taper on my one TAG is very comfortable. I also like the PRS wide thin, I have an Ibanez with a Wizard II neck that I like and the neck on my Tele Deluxe is just a little fatter than the neck on my TAG which is good too. Don't know any of those would compare with TAG neck profiles.

markus
06-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Even Taper +.30 is my absolute favorite. All 4 of my Andersons have that neck shape, as well as #5 that will join the family in August. :D

mslugano
06-21-2009, 02:09 PM
'62 Roundback or 60's vibe. I like a little beef in my hand. Played my friend's Jem one time and that neck was just to flat for me.

+1 and I like a 1 11/16 nut, too.

Pietro
06-21-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm not crazy about the soft-V on my buddy's Classic. It's nice, just not me. I love the standard Cobra shape on my Hollow Cobra. I like my Crowdster Neck just the same? (Is it the same as the Cobra?)

stereostapp
06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
I would like to vote for the 1 11/16 50's soft v with heavy frets on a rosewood board. I have one on an Ice Blue Classic and a second on order on a Hollow T Classic in Butterscotch. If you play using your thumb, this is a great neck shape.

Stys
06-21-2009, 05:57 PM
+1 and I like a 1 11/16 nut, too.

Oh, Yeah!!! 1 11/16 nut. Great neck.

mchoi32
06-21-2009, 11:51 PM
60's vibe.

marzzz
06-22-2009, 01:46 AM
My Cobra is the first guitar I have ever owned with the 1 11/16" nut, prior to that it was all 1 5/8" because I have relatively small hands, but I have found the wider nut width with the "happy medium" taper absolutely wonderful to play; It didn't even feel "funny" to play, and now the 1 5/8" feels too cramped.....I would like to try a version with the happy medium +0.30 just to see how different it would feel.

mslugano
06-22-2009, 04:16 AM
My Cobra is the first guitar I have ever owned with the 1 11/16" nut, prior to that it was all 1 5/8" because I have relatively small hands, but I have found the wider nut width with the "happy medium" taper absolutely wonderful to play; It didn't even feel "funny" to play, and now the 1 5/8" feels too cramped.....I would like to try a version with the happy medium +0.30 just to see how different it would feel.

Yea, I played 1 5/8 nuts for many years (except for non-Strat types) until I think my first Anderson. Since that change to a wider nut, like you say, the 1 5/8 seems too cramped. I mean, if I only had a 1 5/8 nut and got in a little practice it would be OK but I don't think I will ever buy anything but 1 11/16 equipped guitars.

BTW and this is only a guess, but, it seems there are far more 1 11/16 nuts on Andersons than there are on, for instance, Suhr. I noticed this awhile back and asked Ed Yoon at Suhr about it and he said that, something like, 84% of all Suhrs are ordered with the smaller nut. Just a guess, but it seems Tom's % of wide nuts is higher.

John Price
06-22-2009, 08:50 AM
1 5/8ths spacing for me!....... I just love that feel down at the lower part of the neck.......

tom
06-22-2009, 10:37 AM
we're almost 3 to 1 1 11/16 nut width here.
the +.030 happy medium is my current fav(but that changes depending which guitar i happen to be playing:o ). it gives just a bit more roundness to the edges.

dannopelli
06-22-2009, 12:26 PM
I have four with the 1 5/8 and one with 1 11/16. I think I like the narrow better.

michaelomiya
06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
11/16" w/ even taper - just fun to play and with the 12-14 compound, never any fretting out or string buzz, even with low action. best set-ups ever!

Devnor
06-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Even taper; 1-11/16 nut. But I have loved the +0.030 and continue to love the 62 Roundback and the Baritom necks.

picnic
06-23-2009, 07:46 PM
five had the +030 and it were very comfy. The Classic I have now has a happy medium. It's slightly thicker and just as comfy

LearnedHand
06-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Happy medium slightly under to lose the bulk in the shoulders with a 11/16 nut.

Kosmo
06-24-2009, 09:51 AM
I love the smaller V with the 1 5/8" nut on my classic. For me, it is the perfect lead instrument. The feel of the neck is unbelievable! The guitar practically plays itself. However, if I were playing mostly rhythm guitar, I'd prefer a larger neck. My 12-string acoustic has a very thick neck, and that's what I prefer for chording. If I ever have the means to purchase another TAG, I may go with the 1 11/16" neck.

mbrown3
06-25-2009, 08:21 AM
60s Vibe/62 Roundback with .020 over, 1 11/16 nut. Love the feel of that neck. Love the wider nut because it gives more room for my fat fingers, and love the rounded-ness of the neck profile. It just "fits".

guitarzan
06-25-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't think I could tell you what any of my guitars have. I know that there are somethings that always feel a little quirky. My tele has big frets and I'm not used to those and the same tele has a really round radius and that is not my favorite either.

But of all of the guitars in my house right now, I think they all just do their thing. I pick them up and go, "hmm... there's that thing again". And that thing could be the roundness of the neck, the height of the frets, the sound of the pickups, or the placement of the knobs. Or whatever. I've ordered two custom guitars from Tom and when it came time to do the neck measurements, I was like, "uh... well what do you like?" haha.

mbrown3
06-25-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't think I could tell you what any of my guitars have. I know that there are somethings that always feel a little quirky. My tele has big frets and I'm not used to those and the same tele has a really round radius and that is not my favorite either.

But of all of the guitars in my house right now, I think they all just do their thing. I pick them up and go, "hmm... there's that thing again". And that thing could be the roundness of the neck, the height of the frets, the sound of the pickups, or the placement of the knobs. Or whatever. I've ordered two custom guitars from Tom and when it came time to do the neck measurements, I was like, "uh... well what do you like?" haha.

I was the same way for a long time too, until I got my Baker B1, which had the perfect neck for my hands...it just "fit", and suddenly every other guitar was inadequate. And I found I played better on that neck, just because it felt right. Before that point, I could get any of other guitars to work for me, no problem, and I didn't think twice about it. But once I experienced the "it" neck, I've now replaced all of my guitars with those same neck specs (or as close as I could get).

ducmike
06-25-2009, 09:11 PM
The Happy Medium +.030 fits me the best. I love the feel of that neck.

I just got a new Cobra with the standard happy medium, and I like how it feels just fine, but I the classic it feels perfect.

I did play DTC at Charley's today that had the even taper +.030 and it felt pretty good to. But, the happy medium fills my hand better.