PDA

View Full Version : Pickup Height...

BrownDog
05-03-2004, 08:41 PM
For those with a H/S/H pickup combination, where do you set the height of the middle pickup relative to the hums?

PART 1: Do you set its height so that [1] when combined with either of the hums it sounds "best" or [2] when combined with the hums in single coil mode it sounds the "best" or [3] it sounds best when used alone.

Part 2: What are your measurements?

Me - #1, I set the height when it sounds "best" with the hums. (I have a Hollow T, maple cap/mahogany back)

Bridge Hum (H2+): 1/16" both sides
Neck Hum (H1-): Bass: 3/32"; Treble 2mm
Mid (SA1): 1/8" both sides

With tone and oneness, Mike

bruce
05-03-2004, 09:06 PM
Mike,

You have the right approach... "what sounds best." I think what matters most is which sounds, (ie split/series) you prefer and adjust from there.

When we set it at the factory we set it pretty darn close to what you posted, and that was derived from what Tom thinks sounds most balanced all around for just about any given pick up model. BUT, you are welcomed to adjust them...after all, that's what the adjustment screws are there for!

My opinion... I like the SA1 adjusted just a bit closer to the strings when it's in between those humbuckers so that it doesn't sound too small. Maybe a hair lower than your bridge PU.

I also want to point out that we take measurements with both E strings depressed at the last fret.

dpeterson
05-04-2004, 08:25 AM
i have to watch the middle, as i pick right over top of the middle pickup... staggered pole pieces i have to lower more.. tend to dig in at times and hit the pieces.

dave

BrownDog
05-04-2004, 08:36 AM
...for the "sweet spot" (at least to my ears and through my main amp: Dr Z KT45, 212 ZBest). Moving the PUPs up/down, even during practice with the band, is a treat - there's nothing like pulling out a phillips head as the intro chords to All Right Now are ringing. You know, trying for capture that last 2 1/2%, ha.

With tone and oneness, Mike

MikeHil
05-08-2004, 12:52 AM
I've never been much of a tweaker, so any tips?

Does anybody adjust their pup height based on the body wood?

To me, the basswood/maple DT seems like it can get the pup height fairly high. (H3+)

However, the swamp ash classic seems muddled with high gain settings... I think because of the natural overtones in the wood. (H3)

Just curious what recommendations you might have? Or, am I just imagining this...?

BrownDog
05-08-2004, 01:20 PM
I suspect that PUPs will sound different based on the body wood. For example, my Hollow T has a mahogany body and maple cap. As I was looking for the "right" height for the PUPs (ie., it sounding "best" to my ears through my amp), I spent time moving them up/down until I was happy. It was time well spent! If it were an alder/maple combo, I suspect that I might set the PUPs at a different height.

Based on Bruce's insight, I raised the single coil (middle PUP) up. Here, I was looking for the point where is sounded "best" (alone as well as in conjunction with the other PUPs) and yet did not get in the way of my picking. (I don't have a problem with the pick hitting the PUP, but I do a lot of picking with the middle fingernail, so I found the "happy medium" where it sounds "good" and my fingernail doesn't catch the coil.)

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike.