PDA

View Full Version : DeoxIT - Should be safe right ?

X - Road 28
06-06-2009, 10:49 PM
Before I try it on my 5 way switch I just want to be sure there isn't something else the group has had better luck with.

I'm getting a bit of buzz and crackling when working the switch, no big deal and I'm sure I can solve it pretty easy. I just want to use the best or recommended product.

In fact I have the same problem with one of my other S type guitars, so I'll kill two birds with one stone.

bruce
06-06-2009, 10:59 PM
I would recommend NOT spraying it on the switch directly since it will spray all over the place and you will have red oil everywhere. I have been using a q-tip type of applicator on to the switches' contact points. Spray the q-tip with DeOxit first (away from anything else). Then you can wipe the contacts while moving the switch to get all the nooks and crannies.

tom
06-06-2009, 11:44 PM
i just spray it on sparingly. you have to be careful with q tips. they can get caught and leve cotton behind that get insulate the contacts. bruce is mister careful so he'd never have that happen.

bruce
06-07-2009, 02:14 AM
I've tried both ways... I can never get that spray to be nice... even though it has the adjustable sprayer.

mdrs
06-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Microsurgical Lutherie.............I like that!! :)

X - Road 28
06-07-2009, 03:02 PM
Cool, I'll be careful then :D