PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Case Storage

Stan Malinowski
09-26-2003, 07:44 PM
GAS has created quite a storage problem for me! As of today I have the daunting task of finding storage for 21 guitar cases. I need some input from the Forum thinkers...

First, I live in Connecticut - mild summers, cold winters. Summers tend to be humid, winters tend to be dry. Here are some options I've come up with:

1) The basement. This is where most of my cases (with the exception of the PRS Leather Artist cases) are presently located. I take the cases and place them into HEAVY plastic bags and seal them as best as possible to keep out the effects of humidity during the summer.
2) The Garage. It is not climate controlled. The garage has a floored attic which seperates the actual garage from the roof. Problems moderatley hot in the summer, moderately cold in the winter. Will the temp extremes damage the cases?
3) Upstairs in the attic part of the garage. I would LOVE to put them here. PLENTY of storage space (28' X24') but more extreme temperature swings in summer & winter since it is in direct contact with the roof.

To answer the question about indoor storage - I have no place other than the basement with ample room for storage.

So...am I too concerned about temperature effects? Not concerned enough? Please help?

Stan Malinowski
09-27-2003, 05:26 AM
Sorry for leaving out the important details...I'm only storing the cases, the guitars are kept safe in a climate controlled home studio. On those rare occassions when the guitars leave the house I use a gig bag.

Right now I have most of them in the basement stored in large, sealed plastic bags. The humidity is bad enough for a small amount of mold to appear on the plastic bags from time to time.

Anyone know where I can buy a large number of the silica packets so I can throw some in each of the plastic bags?

Distortion
09-27-2003, 10:31 PM
Stan,
Here is a link to Sinclair International.. I have bought stuff from them in the past and never had a problem.
I believe these packets can be recycled by placing them in the oven..
I have a couple for rifle cases and they work great.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=CPLRRP&item=SG-40&type=store

Stan Malinowski
09-28-2003, 06:16 PM
Distortion,

Thanks for the info, it's just what I'm looking for! I'm going to order up 5 or 6 of them on Monday!

Thanks,
Stan