PDA

View Full Version : Possible new guitar input (tom you too! ;p)

mike_TA81
05-16-2009, 09:09 AM
I currently own two Anderson's:

1) Model - Drop Top (5/30/96A)
Body Wood - Figured Maple Top on Basswood
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple, Madagascar Rosewood Fretboard
Nutwidth - 1 11/16-inch
Scale Length - 25 1/2-inch
Frets - Heavy
Bridge - Sunken Floyd Rose
Pickguard - None
Pickups - SD1R SD1 H2+
Switching - Switcheroo, Vintage Voicing
Strings - .009-.042 Elixir strings

2) Model - Cobra S (1/18/08P)
Body Wood - Flame Maple Top on Mahogany Back
Neck Wood - Mahogany, Indian Rosewood Fretboard
Nutwidth - 1 11/16-inch
Scale Length - 24 3/4-inch
Frets - Heavy
Bridge - Fixed
Pickguard - None
Pickups - H1+ H3+
Switching - 5-way with Splitter (for HxH)
Strings - .010-.046 Elixir strings

Obligatory Picture:
http://homepage.mac.com/lifter/guitout.jpg

I am contemplating ordering a 3rd (damn GAS) specifically with a half to full step down tuning with 12s for hard rock/metal styles and I'm looking at a Atom CT for a Les Paul-ish vibe.

I was just wondering what other forumers input would be on that decision. Which woods would you choose and what pickups? Or should I look in another direction entirely?

I'm looking at the Atom because I want something different -- I love both my current guitars and each of them inspire me to play in different ways so I'm looking forward to possibly owning something very different.

Thanks in advance!

tom
05-16-2009, 11:57 AM
a ct could be huge sounding. a rosewood neck might also be killer to keep the low lows nice and solid. i'd be tempted to not go quite as hot on the pickups to keep more definition in the low end.

mike_TA81
05-16-2009, 12:17 PM
I hear ya Tom -- I really like tight, chunky, "bitey" type distortion ala the Boogie Mark series (still waiting on my Mark V head!).

I did recently play a EBMM JP BFR with a rosewood neck and I really dug it, looks like it would be a good way to go.

Now if I consider doing a full step de-tune, would 12's still feel semi-tight? Or would I have to move up another gauge?

Which PU's would you recommend? I'm looking at another HxH configuration in that respect and I would like to go with definition over saturation but still keeping an aggressive feel.

I just want to make sure this guitar will cover ground that my other two current guitars won't so I can justify the purchase (and so the wife doesn't kill me) and I really want it to be my last (fingers crossed) guitar purchase.

I'm not sure if you're allowed to give estimates on build time, but if I ordered within the next two weeks -- what kind of wait would I be looking at?

Thanks again!

mike_TA81
05-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Still looking for anymore recommendations!

tom
05-18-2009, 06:53 PM
the snag with .012's is what to use for a G string. they usually come with a wound third, and you're not gonna be bending that. when plains get bigger than .018 they start to sound pretty weird.

michaelomiya
05-18-2009, 10:51 PM
mike, love the black H/W on the Cobra S...and welcome!:D :cool:

Janine Doubly
05-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I've been digging the D'addario Medium Top/Heavy Bottom's, EXL116. They are .011's - .052's and they work well in standard and whole step drop tuning. The plain G string is an .018.

I agree with Tom, lower output pickups will keep the low end foundation right. I would also HIGHLY recommend a rosewood neck. I've heard rosewood on a number of Cobra's and the extra punch is addictive, I can't imagine how huge it will sound on a CT. :eek:

mike_TA81
05-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the input guys!

Janine or anybody -- what exact PU's would you recommend?