PDA

View Full Version : can piezo pickup be somewhere else than in the bridge?

monterosso
05-13-2009, 03:18 AM
I am a fan of norwegian guitarist Eivind aarset (www.myspace.com/eivindaarset) for years now. He's a custom built guitar which he claims to have a piezo pickup under the fretboard in the neck of his guitar!

Thanks to that he can get a really oriental sounding acoustic signal.

Listen to this :

http://www.jazzlandrec.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Eivind-Aarset-and-Michiyo-Yagi.html&Itemid=407

It is really interesting feature! Is it possible to build custom anderson guitar with this feature?

Pietro
05-14-2009, 07:19 AM
I don't think it's a piezo, or at least not the same kind of piezo you find under the bridge.

But the Taylor T5 has something like what you are referring to, as does, I think, the Epiphone LP Elitist.

The T5 sounds cool, but not as real as my powerbridge-equipped Cobra or my Crowdster.

tom
05-14-2009, 10:22 AM
it looks to me like the other guy is making the acoustic sounding notes on other instruments. the electric tone sounds pretty normal to me.
taylor puts a magnetic pickup under the fingerboard as part of their system.
i do remember hearing about frank zappa putting a piezo on the heel of an electric neck but i don't know what he did with it.

monterosso
05-14-2009, 12:22 PM
I asked Eivind questio about the piezo and he said its under the fretboard, what we hear is a mixed sound of electric guitar and piezo, sounds really great to me ;]