PDA

View Full Version : Mesa Boogie addict here - seeking alternatives

MikeHil
05-01-2004, 01:31 AM
I'm a total Boogie Fan. The next item I purchase will be an amplifier and I keep looking at the Boogies cause it's what I know.

I own a Triaxis and 20/20 power amp. This is my second Triaxis and now I want to purchase either a 2:90 or 2:100 or a Road King rectifier head (that thing is SICK).

So, in an attempt to think "outside the box". I've been reading this forum and there's several names that keep popping up.

Carr

Bogner

Can anybody recommend resources... websites, dealers (particularly Florida), etc., where I can do some research?

Of course I want it all... amazing clean, killer dirt, versatility.

Thanks guys!

dannopelli
05-01-2004, 12:35 PM
If you like Mesa try the new Lonestar. The F series are nice too.

All the amps you mentioned are cool. You might want to cionsider Dr Z too.

MikeHil
05-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I've also read about the Dr Z on this forum too a couple times. Haven't had the chance to research though.

My tastes lean towards the Rectifier, as I prefer something that really has massive crunch. However, I'm also partial to the old Marshall JCM 800.

Hope that gives you guys an idea of where I'm headed next.

sylvanshine
05-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Well, you have already listed my first choice. I played a Dual Rec for years, loved the lead channel but the clean always left my cold. BrianH played the Bogner Ecstasy 101B for me and I ordered one on the spot.

I will say that the clean channel isn't a Blackface Twin for sure, but the other two channels more than make up for it. You can do a whole set on the blue channel (and last night I did!).

I now have a 101B, an Ecstasy Classic and a Shiva 1x12. The Shiva might be the way for you to go, clean channel is very Fender and the lead channel is definite hot rod Marshall. I love el34s but lots of guys dig the 6L6.

If you dig the nu metal tones, definitely the Ubershall. Crushing gain and a very passable clean channel.

My personal opinion is that Dr Z is not what you are looking for. I have a Route 66, great amp but you need a pedal to get into Marshall territory.

Good luck!

dannopelli
05-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by sylvanshine

My personal opinion is that Dr Z is not what you are looking for. I have a Route 66, great amp but you need a pedal to get into Marshall territory.

Good luck!

If you want Recto Dr Z is not going to work. I agree. Different animal altogether. Neither will the Lonestar nor the F 50.

Recto's sound like Rectos. Why not just get one. They are a good price/value.

All the Bogners mentioned are excellent for that sound you are looking for. A bit more $$, but they are really awesome.

MikeHil
05-01-2004, 10:58 PM
I love the Recto but, I've owned one in the past and it was much heavier sounding then what I needed.

The Mesa Road King is incredible, but really almost too much amp for me.

I wish there was a way to back to back all these amps instead of days or months apart.

I'm curious of any opinions of a middle of the road amp between say...

A Recto and a Marshall JCM800 ?

From sylvanshine:

"I now have a 101B, an Ecstasy Classic and a Shiva 1x12. The Shiva might be the way for you to go, clean channel is very Fender and the lead channel is definite hot rod Marshall. I love el34s but lots of guys dig the 6L6."

sounds quite interesting

mwoeppel
05-02-2004, 08:14 AM
I don't know...but you could look at

http://www.brunoamps.com/home.htm

he's got soundclips there, and some articles of amp shootouts.

The problem with internet research, you just can't hear how they sound with your touch and style of playing.

Personally, after I heard one of Tony's amps I sold everything else - a vintage super reverb, vibroverb and Mark III. But then, I had to to pay for it!

ymmv

Mark

michaelomiya
05-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by MikeHil
I'm a total Boogie Fan. The next item I purchase will be an amplifier and I keep looking at the Boogies cause it's what I know.

I own a Triaxis and 20/20 power amp. This is my second Triaxis and now I want to purchase either a 2:90 or 2:100 or a Road King rectifier head (that thing is SICK).

So, in an attempt to think "outside the box". I've been reading this forum and there's several names that keep popping up.

Carr

Bogner

Can anybody recommend resources... websites, dealers (particularly Florida), etc., where I can do some research?

Of course I want it all... amazing clean, killer dirt, versatility.

Thanks guys!

need more information. is there a certain tone that you're seeking or a player's sound that you've discovered that you're trying to dial in?

I too was a MB addict (triaxis/50/50, Mk IIC+, Mk III). However I've opted to retain the Mk III only. I love boogie's and the ability to tweak different sounds. what I discovered however was I that I was always trying to dial in that marshall "midrange" tone. So why did i have so many great boogie amps? Well TAG used them to test their guitar and p/ups, Doug West played TAGs to test his amps, hetfield and Master of Puppets, petrucci and Awake, Rocky and Suicidal (lights camera revolution), etc.. BUT, while everyone of those tones were killer, I had been and I guess always will be, a Marshall guy (just didn't know it until I started swapping heads w/ other players).

it sounds like you're on the right path. I've always believed that the search for your tone and eventual discovery's the fun of jamming and playing out. I'd also start reading forums like HRI (http://www.hugeracksinc.com/board/) plexi palace (http://vintageamps.com/PlexiPalaceUBBcgi/ultimatebb.cgi) or Gear Page (http://63.151.115.106/board/index.php) when researching. When you've nailed down the "head" you're seeking, I'd call some quality retailers like Tone Merchants (http://www.tonemerchants.com/) to test your
"theories on tone".

good luck. sounds as if your choice of guitar/s is already a step in the right direction!:p

dpeterson
05-02-2004, 01:03 PM
here's what i used to have:

Furman PL8 (furman pluglock in back)
Digital Music Corp System Mix Plus
Digital Music Corp ground control plus
DBX 266xl Compressor Limiter
Rocktron Patchmate
BBE 862 Sonic Maximizer
T.C. Electronic G-Major
Marshall JMP1
Mesa/Boogie Triaxis v2.0
Mesa/Boogie Stereo Simul 2:90
Mesa/Boogie 16 space Shock Rack
2 EB volume pedals

heres what i have now:

line 6 vetta hd (upgraded to 2.0 + vdi)
FBV Longboard controller

I can get any sound i could out of the HUGE rack setup, plus many many more. the only thing about the vetta is, the factory presets usually blow, takes a bit of tweaking but totally worth it. I also got really really sick of retubing my old setup, each time was almost $200.

Dave

MikeHil
05-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks guys...

I think I'm w/ michaelomiya on this one - regarding the search for the ultimate Marshall tone. Which is probably why I sold the Recto.

Nonetheless, I just purchased a 2:90. I love the EL84 in the 20/20 with the Triaxis. It comes pretty close to Marshall sound I want.

So, here's my questions based on your comments:

dpeterson - did the BBE make a sonic difference? I've been thinking about that too. I'm also considering the JMP1.

Do you think I can run my setup like this:

One output from the Triaxis - Y cabled into the 20/20

One output from the Triaxis - Y cabled into the 2:90

Lastly, how do think my forthcoming mahogony/maple Hollow Drop Top will sound with this :) :) :)

michaelomiya
05-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys...

I think I'm w/ michaelomiya on this one - regarding the search for the ultimate Marshall tone. Which is probably why I sold the Recto.

Nonetheless, I just purchased a 2:90. I love the EL84 in the 20/20 with the Triaxis. It comes pretty close to Marshall sound I want.

dpeterson - did the BBE make a sonic difference? I've been thinking about that too. I'm also considering the JMP1.

Lastly, how do think my forthcoming mahogony/maple Hollow Drop Top will sound with this :) :) :)

mike, regarding your "search" - as a very insightful person once said, "it doesn't sound like a marshall because it AINT a marshall - go get a marshall"

there are tons of sites to get you started on your "transition from MB to marshall". Let me know if you're interested.

Regarding any TA through a Marshall - righteous tone - transparent, pure, rockin! Those TA p/up's really let the wood and your fingers shine through. Never confuse transparency for sterility!:D

dpeterson
05-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys...

yeah i'm sure you could do that, but i'm not sure why, the 2:90 is louder than hell.

one thing for sure boogie stuff will not get a marshall tone. thats why i got the jmp1, and with some creative loop stuff and my patchmate, i was able to switch between both preamps with any effect i had (bbe, dbx, gmajor) in any combination.

I think it will sound great. I loved my rack, and it took many years to get it just right, but in the end, it's just too big, and i dont have a full time roadie :) plus i sold it all off, got the vetta, and ordered my custom HDT, and still pocketed a few grand.

Dave

MikeHil
05-02-2004, 07:05 PM
Now there's a thought Dave:

Who cares about all this amp stuff anyway. Maybe I'll just sell it all and order another Andy :)

velcro-fly
05-02-2004, 10:07 PM
Who cares about all this amp stuff anyway. Maybe I'll just sell it all and order another Andy :)

Sell it all - buy another Andy, AND a Bogner 101b :D

You will not be dissapointed.

Steve E

michaelomiya
05-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by dpeterson
yeah i'm sure you could do that, but i'm not sure why, the 2:90 is louder than hell.

one thing for sure boogie stuff will not get a marshall tone. thats why i got the jmp1, and with some creative loop stuff and my patchmate, i was able to switch between both preamps with any effect i had (bbe, dbx, gmajor) in any combination.

I think it will sound great. I loved my rack, and it took many years to get it just right, but in the end, it's just too big, and i dont have a full time roadie :) plus i sold it all off, got the vetta, and ordered my custom HDT, and still pocketed a few grand.

Dave

Dave, you're right about the JMP1 - great tone - no matter what SS, IC chip, etc. etc. is inside. I've got one as well, and for versatility and the Marshall tone - nothing comes close!!
mike.

pluto
05-03-2004, 01:21 PM
I didn't bother reading all the posts here, so I'm sorry if anything is repeated. The obvious places to do research on amps is the www.gearpage.net forum and of course, the infamous harmony central forum. Dealers? In florida, Derek B at www.rocksolidamps.com is an Engl and Framus dealer. He's the only one I know there. Other places to check outside of Fla.-tonemerchants in California is great. Ed from tonemerchants is a cool guy and he has a forum on his website. Stu at fatsound has always been cool to me. A combination between a Recto and a JCM800? That's kind of a difficult one. With the Bogner line, an XTC won't do a recto, an Uber won't do a JCM800, the Shiva can't really do either imo. Carr doesn't make anything close to a Recto or a JCM800. You can always wait for the Mesa Stilleto-isn't that supposed to be an aggressive and classic Marshall type amp with Mesa characteristics?

michaelomiya
05-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by pluto
I didn't bother reading all the posts here, so I'm sorry if anything is repeated. The obvious places to do research on amps is the www.gearpage.net forum and of course, the infamous harmony central forum. Dealers? In florida, Derek B at www.rocksolidamps.com is an Engl and Framus dealer. He's the only one I know there. Other places to check outside of Fla.-tonemerchants in California is great. Ed from tonemerchants is a cool guy and he has a forum on his website. Stu at fatsound has always been cool to me. A combination between a Recto and a JCM800? That's kind of a difficult one. With the Bogner line, an XTC won't do a recto, an Uber won't do a JCM800, the Shiva can't really do either imo. Carr doesn't make anything close to a Recto or a JCM800. You can always wait for the Mesa Stilleto-isn't that supposed to be an aggressive and classic Marshall type amp with Mesa characteristics?

absolutely agree w/ mark's internet info sites - I've learned a ton from the gearpage, thanks bud!

regarding the "this amp can't do the _______ tone", why not just buy a Marshall, a fender, a ________, and not stress.

But if you're gigging, IMHO I'd follow Dave Peterson and obtain an HD147. A little stiff for me, but that's the SS power section impacting the "sag". Regardless, 99.9% of the crowd is NOT going to notice :D and your back's going to be much better off!

dpeterson
05-03-2004, 07:39 PM
i cant tell the difference... all i know is when i play through it, it brings me joy (vetta II). I can get any sound I want, and it doesnt weigh a ton. A lot of tube guys kill me... i'd like to hear sag when the band kicks in ;)

Dave

michaelomiya
05-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by dpeterson
i cant tell the difference... all i know is when i play through it, it brings me joy (vetta II). I can get any sound I want, and it doesnt weigh a ton. A lot of tube guys kill me... i'd like to hear sag when the band kicks in ;)

Dave

that "sag" I'm talking about is the amp's responsiveness and ability to differentiate between really attacking the strings and playing a slowhand vibrato. when we play, nothing compares to our metal panel marshalls, especially in the band context. however, the HD147 or vetta would be my choice if we were out every week and gigging constantly :D :cool:

pluto
05-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
absolutely agree w/ mark's internet info sites - I've learned a ton from the gearpage, thanks bud!

regarding the "this amp can't do the _______ tone", why not just buy a Marshall, a fender, a ________, and not stress.

But if you're gigging, IMHO I'd follow Dave Peterson and obtain an HD147. A little stiff for me, but that's the SS power section impacting the "sag". Regardless, 99.9% of the crowd is NOT going to notice :D and your back's going to be much better off!

Definitely agreed. With respect to the first statement, if you want a Marshall, only Marshall can do Marshall. If you want an aggressive JCM800, I guess a DSL or TSL is a good option. I used to have a DSL-great sounding amp at any volume but it did have some reliability problems. You can also get a someone to mod your Marshall like Mark Cameron. Michael is the expert on this! As far as the second statement-can't beat those digital thingys for convenience. That being said, I did try out the HD147 and was less than impressed. I really wanted to like it too. I was sort of turned off by the fact the Uberschall and XTC models sounded nothing like the real thing. It wasn't even close. But then again, the only guys who care about these things are us guitar freaks and we are in the minority.

michaelomiya
05-04-2004, 08:22 AM
As far as the second statement-can't beat those digital thingys for convenience. That being said, I did try out the HD147 and was less than impressed. I really wanted to like it too. I was sort of turned off by the fact the Uberschall and XTC models sounded nothing like the real thing. It wasn't even close. But then again, the only guys who care about these things are us guitar freaks and we are in the minority.

mark, thanks again, but I'm FAR from an expert, just someone w/ an opinion and happy to share (aren't we all!:p). Regarding the Line 6 HD147, I too wanted to like it sooooooo much. Especially with that chrome head and purple lit face :cool: BUT, after spending 2 + hours (at full volume :D ), it just didn't have the "feel" and "squish" of a good tube amp, especially when you really turn it up! (I KNOW you know what I mean!). Tube SNOBS! Anyway, like dave mentioned in the band context it's probably not noticable (but it's enough for me to stick w/ my marshalls like any good Tube SNOB!;) )

pluto
05-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
mark, thanks again, but I'm FAR from an expert, just someone w/ an opinion and happy to share (aren't we all!:p). Regarding the Line 6 HD147, I too wanted to like it sooooooo much. Especially with that chrome head and purple lit face :cool: BUT, after spending 2 + hours (at full volume :D ), it just didn't have the "feel" and "squish" of a good tube amp, especially when you really turn it up! (I KNOW you know what I mean!). Tube SNOBS! Anyway, like dave mentioned in the band context it's probably not noticable (but it's enough for me to stick w/ my marshalls like any good Tube SNOB!;) )

Interesting note about squish and feel. Even the tightest tube amps that I've played (e.g., Uberschall, VHT UL and CL, and Engl Savage) have enough sag and just enough sweetness to let you know you're playing a tube amp. The HD147 is a great concept for us high gain addicts although having that much variety in high gain is a little too much for me. Of all the different models, I did like the Diezel model and one of the Line 6 original models (can't remember the name).

michaelomiya
05-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Interesting note about squish and feel. Even the tightest tube amps that I've played (e.g., Uberschall, VHT UL and CL, and Engl Savage) have enough sag and just enough sweetness to let you know you're playing a tube amp.

Ain't dat da truut, brah!

The HD147 is a great concept for us high gain addicts although having that much variety in high gain is a little too much for me. Of all the different models, I did like the Diezel model and one of the Line 6 original models (can't remember the name).

Mark, agreed, the high gain was great. But arguably, when there's so much gain, you really can't differentiate the guitar from the amp! :P Not to knock the Line 6 stuff - it's AWESOME at a relatively lower volume - just not my preference when we're trying to move air:eek:

Watch, after this thread, 6 mos will pass and I'll be emailing you about some Spider 1x12 combo, and how it can emulate the sound of my 81 JCM800 2204!;)

nickdahl
05-29-2004, 12:32 PM
If you've got a nice power amp such as the Mesa 2:Ninety, I think you owe it to yourself to try some preamps with it before you chuck it for a head.

I replaced my TriAxis with a CAE 3+SE and have never been happier. What happened was that I got the three tones I had been trying to dial into my TriAxis but couldn't quite get. I get a nice clean tone, a Marshally crunch tone, and a more solid distortion tone: the CAE 3+SE also plays nicely with my guitars.

Nick